GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

To R34 owners.

I've had my Blue R34 for just over a month now and for a Japanese car, it seems to be attracting alot/too much attention. Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoy it - but up to a point.
I live in London and on many ocassions I had people including girls coming up to the car asking questions. I even had two guys opening my door for some info! Scary.

I was jet washing the car with a friend just coming back from Billing at a petrol station and a guy with a Motorola V series strapped on to his head (which looked funny) comes over admiring the car for some time with a few questions. He disappears for a few minutes and brings all his mates (at least 10 of them) for a look! Felt like we were overwhelmed by a gang! They were all over the car looking inside at the MFD.

So where ever you other R34 owners, do you get the same thing happening to you?

I think if I was driving a 911 or Lotus it wouldn't happen.

Vincent

·
Registered
710 Posts
Mr Popular

I think this is more of a general Skyline issue rather than a R34 one. When I first had my GTS-T a couple of years ago, I used to have chats with bikers at the traffic lights, chats at petrol stations/garages, people used to stop and look at it when it was parked outside the house and at one stage a group of lads turned up at my doorstep and asked for some guy - apparently this guy was going round saying that my car was his and his mates turned up assuming he was in my house.

I just got used to it after a while although I can understand your concern.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Attention

Weka

Yeah you'll definetly get it in a Bayside Blue 34. It drives me mad sometimes but when you think about it it is really good that people enjoy seeing and talking about our cars.

And like you said you don't know who's who when approached but hey, we are all a statistic waiting to happen so don't get concerned just keep your wits about you and enjoy.

See Ya

T6KYO

·
Registered
547 Posts
Attention

Yup, I get a fair amount of attention in the Skyline (and having owned all the GTR models, I can verify that the 34 attracts no less then the others did) ... but I agree with T6yko, that blue is very noticable so probably gets people clocking the car faster.

But I find most of the people are just interested "how fast mister" or "blimy look at the flame out of the back" sorts.

cheers

·
Registered
234 Posts
i agree with t6kyo - i have just got rid of a silver porsche 996 to go back to a skyline (blue r34). the porsche was utterly anonymous by comparison apart from bringing on a bit of genuine hostility in some dodgy areas. the attention that skylines get (my r33 was the same) is just a breath of fresh air becauase none of it has ever been in the slightest bit hostile. it is great chatting to people at lights etc and yes, i suppose that you could get worried about the attention. much better just to enjoy it though - i'm sure that most of us by them because they are different - we're hardly doing it as an investment opportunity.
::D
sammy

·
Registered
404 Posts
Being Noticed

Even Silver R33’s sometimes get a lot of attention; just yesterday I stopped at a light next to Heidelberg rail station, when I get a tape on the window.

There’s a smiling Japanese guy waving his arms around very excited. :D

I opened the window he asks ‘can you speak English?’ :confused: to which I replied ‘can you speak Japanese?’ :confused: and gave him the Chandler to Joey look. :rolleyes:

Seconds later the penny drops “OH you are English” He then calls the rest of his group over they laugh at his Japanese version of the joke then one of them asks if he can take pictures so I parked up at a nearby bus stop. :cool:

After good five minuets of questions from the group about the car I had to go but it was fun talking them about the car. :D

Something else that’s happen a number of times now is people asking me if my car is a new prototype? :confused:

Oh and the answers are:
Only in Japan and the UK, about 400ps, 280Kph(175 mph), 5 seconds, 12 to 18 liters (15 to 20 mpg), from DM 50,000 ($25,000) (GBP 15,000).

They can only see the Exhaust and air filter so that's all people need to know.

It all part of the Skylining experience :cool: anyway if you think its bad with a Skyline you should see what happens when you have a red Ferrari. :eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Unwanted Attention

Yes I seem to get the same attention on the DLR, people always asking to see my pass. But seriously, I've been in an unfortunate situation a few years ago, well about ten years ago, where I was hauled out of the car. Fortunately I had my seat beat on; from then on it was belt up and lock in.

Like all owners of Skylines, I appreciate a nice car and a chat; however there's always a minority

·
Registered
26 Posts
I Agree, trhe attention you get in a Skyline can be a bit disconcerting, but you get used to it. I live right next door to a secondary school, and not a day goes by without some of the playstation generation nipping up the drive and having a peer around the corner of the house at the car. Stopping at the shops in town during the school lunch hour is just not possible, if you want to be able to get back into the car without moving the 50 or so 14 year olds that crowd it.

The other thing I find is that since I had window tints done, a lot of people try to peer in at the dash etc., which can be very amusing when you are still sitting in it and they can't see you. (knock on the window and give them the fright of their lives, hehehe)

I have never had any negative attention yet, but give it time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
YETI said:
The other thing I find is that since I had window tints done, a lot of people try to peer in at the dash etc., which can be very amusing when you are still sitting in it and they can't see you. (knock on the window and give them the fright of their lives, hehehe)

I have never had any negative attention yet, but give it time.
Ha, that's pretty amusing. Just don't scare them so bad they fall over and hurt themselves or they might try to sue you and get your car! Just kiddin :D

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Amazingly enough GTRs do draw a certain ammont of attention even in Japan, from people that actually understand about cars that is. The best thing though has to be the reaction when they spot a gaijin at the wheel....priceless:eek: :D

:smokin:

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
The R34 gets loads of looks, since people know them courtesy of Gran Tourismo.
That kinda sums it up really.

I can't remember exactly what made the Skyline GT-R a permanent fixture in my memory, but I'm sure Gran Turismo helped. I've driven through town and people have shouted out "Gran Turismo!" to me.

I actually think, as others have concured, that Skylines generally receive more attention that Porsches, etc. I don't think I've driven past anyone yet who hasn't either turned around after I've gone past, or pointed - mouth open :D

Not sure if there's any difference in attention between R32, R33 and R34 - I think it just ends up being "oh my God its a Skyline". :cool:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Hey weka, if it makes you feel any better, as DCD said, even here in Japan thes cars attract people. I'm actaully surprised at how much attention my car gets when its parked on the streets here in Japan. I thought of all places in the world these cars would be "just another Skyline", but apparently not. When a foreigner is driving, well... you can stop traffic!

As glen said, enjoy the moment but be wary for things that don't feel right.

Cya O!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Just thought I'd add some more to this...

I'm actually genuinely surprised as to how Skylines are treated, in comparison to other "expensive cars". I haven't personally encountered any hostility at all, I think people generally - even young male teenagers - are more in awe of seeing one than jealous.

The same cannot really be said of BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches, etc. I guess its because traditionally the drivers of said vehicles are assumed to be "snobs", whereas Skyline drivers are - rightly so - treated as "enthusiasts" :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Last year I drove through Belgium and Sweden and I couldn't believe the number of people who stopped and asked "Is this a Skyline"?

Its fascinating when your following somebody on the motorways and you see everbody in the back seat suddenly turn round to see what the **ck is closing in so fast. I even had cars that followed me into filling stations in Sweden just to have a look.
They said it was the only Skyline in Sweden.

I have tints on my windows which makes them virtually unbreakable. I havn't had any bad experiences yet. Most have been really enthusiastic...but you never know!

Anyway, don't we enjoy the admiring glances?

john

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I try to keep a low profile in my local area. Whilst it isn't a haven for vandalism and the like, I don't want to necessarily rub people up the wrong way - especially as I'm only 24 years old and driving a car most people dream of (actually, I dream about it as well :cool: )

I'd be interested to know what it's like in the major cities like Bristol, London, etc.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Notice

I think this applies to any 'Skyline' even mine gets many glances, At Trick or Treat last year one kid knocked on the door and said when I die could he have my car!!!!!!!!, He was only 10 years old.

PaulP.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
:D

On that note, some young kid in town asked me if I could pretend to be his uncle and give him a lift around the town centre!

·
Registered
992 Posts
R34

Yeah...Just reminds me of the Toyota advert....'Just shut up and drive'!.

PaulP.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Over here in the states there are almost NONE. Maybe 100 on the streets over the entire country. Most in california, florida, washington. I have never seen one on the streets as of yet.
When I do I won't be able to speak, because my tongue will be hanging down to my chest.

·
Banned
349 Posts
I drive in London alot and always get glances and aproaches ect. It took some getting used to when I first had a 32, 7 years ago. If a friend borrowed the car they would always come back shocked at how much attention the car gets.

I am used to it now, but I do lock the doors of late because of all the car jacking going on.

One of the best bits of attention the car has got was in Gerrard Street during Chinese New Year Celebrations. There was literally mobs of people photographing the car.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts