GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fella's,

As simple as it sounds, I had a factory Porsche tester drive my car recently and he picked up that he's positive the front is hitting the bump stops under heavy cornering and making it unstable, it does get particularly upset if there's a bump mid corner so that explains all.

I've currently got factory struts with Blitz spring kit.

I'm thinking Nismo.....................suggestions ???????

Fraser

·
Registered
48 Posts
Springs/Shocks

I have the Ohlin/Impul Spring/Shocks for the R34. They have 2 adjustments per shock one for compression and one for rebounding. The adjustment range is pretty wide. At the slightly below midpoint on the setting, you are roughly the same as the standard VSpec shocks. At close to the top of the settings, the ride is incredible firm/no body roll but not very pleasant over street road.

I am very happy. The only issue is they are a bit expensive.

Happy Holidays,

Andrew

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Calling all ex-bikers

Slight change here, but could this problem have been testedfor simply.
I never bothered to do it, but I remember reading that you could test the front shockers on a bike by putting cable ties on the and going down the bumpiest road you use. If the cable ties have not moved, you have not used all your travel, so you could lessen the damping. Other way round, needed more. In the bikes I used, this was done with the internal spring length and the amount of oil in the shock (measured by air gap above the oil).
Anyway, could the same be done to a strut to see if it is hitting the bump stops?

·
Registered
534 Posts
M.spec

And I've just bought some M.spec suspension from Shin, but i have not fitted it to the R34 yet.

We'll see soon how good it is :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Recommendation

Hi there,

I surely recommend "M-spec suspentsion" and "Nismo S-tune suspension" in this country.
Nismo R-tune would be too hard to ride.

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Shin,

Are you able to explain what difference I should expect from the M and S spec suspension.

And also what differences there are between the kit shocks and these 2 ??

What sort money are we talking for either ????? What's included.

Cheers
Fraser

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Difference

Hi Fraser,

The "M-spec" suspension is the Nissan Genuine Parts for GTR34 M-spec. It is softer than V-spec and non V-spec suspensions.
It is not the height adjustable suspension.

The "S-tune" suspension is a Nismo part, not an original Nissan suspension. Also, it is not a height adjustable suspension, but the height would be 2cm or 3cm lower than original.

Please feel free to PM or email me for further information.
About M-spec suspension, please wait for Joss's impression.

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Suspension

Is your car a V-Spec?

Mine is and it does get a bit 'twitchy' on bumps under full power,especially at speeds........

I did test drive an R33 with Ohlins and it was all over the place on bumpy surfaces.In all fairness I think there was something wrong with the suspension/car.

Personally I wouldn't go for a stiff setup unless the roads are very good in your neck of the woods......

·
Registered
534 Posts
Vspec

Yup, my R34 is a Vspec and it bounces all over the place with the standard suspension, quite scary sometimes :)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car is a VSPEC II, not sure if they've changed the suspension from the original VSPEC model, don't think so from what I know.

I would probably think NZ roads are fairly similar to UK roads......

I don't really have an issue with the stiffness of the suspension as it stands, but am concerned that a qualified factory test driver was able to tell me my car was hitting the bump stops under heavy cornering............

Just aware of a few comments from others that one of the biggest changes to R34's are changing the shock absorbers.

Do nismo make an adjustable shock ??? I'd like to try to keep the car original with reputable tuners gear, but of course I alway want to make sure I'm going to get something that works. I bought a Blitz progressive spring kit when I bought the car so I'm a bit dissapointed that I'm having this bottoming out problem :-(

Canman

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand that the springs aren't what make the VSPEC a hard ride, but I was just trying to say I was dissapointed that a proper spring kit allows the standard shocks to hit the bump stops.......

If anything I assume if I fitted softer shocks I'd be in a worse position.............

Does the softer shocks you're talking about make the car lean more ??????? I know that sounds daft, but some well sorted suspension can sometimes allow the same body roll with a better ride...................is this the case ??

or is it a case of softer ride more roll ??????????

As I said I'm happy with the stiffness of the factory kit, but something adjustable would be nice so I could raise the car a little to try to help.

I thought I heard that Nismo did an adjustable set of shocks.

Any other options other than Ohlins or Nismo ?????????

Canman

·
Registered
994 Posts
V-Spec shocks

Hi,
I`ve got V-Spec shocks with Dow Max (Trust) springs,Guy put me on to the springs & I have been very impressed.R34`s have different habits to R33`s,infact I would say that the R34 acts like the R32,anyone agree?
Wheel size & tyre choice also comes into the "road-feel" of your GT-R.

MERRY XMAS,
Henry.:smokin:

·
Banned
349 Posts
Guy

Whats behind the uk cars having non-v-spec shocks??

Did you here that from Middlehurst? Please elaborate

Cheers

Jamie.

·
Banned
349 Posts
cheers

I also going to ask Bruce who has a contact at Middlehurst.

I am about to blast down the M3 to my Sisters now, so I apologise for the noise in advance to all of you who reside in Surrey:D :D

Merry Christmas everyone

Jamie.

·
Registered
994 Posts
V-Spec set up.

I was very happy with my untouched V-Spec set up for the last 3 years but I wanted to lower the car and after driving Guys R34 I thought" lets try the Dow Max springs".I still have my old springs just in case I ever want to change back but the ride is slightly softer,the steering feels good & I must say the car looks better for it.These are early days yet as I have only covered 200miles or so on the new set up so I`m no expert on the subject but I will let you know how I get on.

Tyres make a massive difference,infact there is a big thread going on about peoples views on tyre choice, tyre wear,hard or soft compounds,dry,damp & wet driving,track use,.....etc..........check it out .(wheels & tyre section)

I have BF Goodrich Profiler 265/35/18 which were given to me to test by ATS & Michelin(the tyre being made under licence at the Michelin Factory in France)they are hard and have covered 8,000 miles,I love them and I got my car MOTed today at ATS Horsham who reckon that I have about another 4 to 5,000miles left on them. I lent my wheels to Gary to run on the Beast to see if they suited the cars suspension set up but he hated them and couldn`t wait to give them back!SO3`s suit his needs better.

Jump in someone elses Skyline and if it feels good & YOU like it then go for it,what more can I say. Anyone for a ride;)

Seasons Greetings,
Henry.:smokin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts