GTR Forum banner

R34 Turbo's onto R33 question and advice

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  gtr-loz 
#1 ·
Firstly - i'm failing on how to search this...

ok first up - i've got everything like new gaskets etc and thought I had eerythingready for the swap until I realised I needed oil restrictor for the upgrade. But by failing s to work out both size and where to get them from.

This looks to have been done plenty of times before but not in any thread or project etc have I managed to find where anyone bought/sourced from or possibly even having made them up themselves.

I'm not particulary mechanically minded but I have already managed to strip everything down and off so don't think i've done too bad.

I know about leaving the oil feed off and cranking her over a few times to flush the oil and make sure theres no air locks etc but any urther advice would be great.

#4 ·
The oil restriction is in the actual banjo bolt that takes the feed to the turbos from the block oil gallery. They are drilled with the right size restriction, so if you get the banjo bolt off an R34 GTR engine you should be sure of sizing it right. It MAY be the same as R32 and R33 GTR ones, I am away from my FAST PC at the moment.

#9 ·
Well the turbo's are in, all parts are ready and she's been cranked over and over a few times now. Rear turbo is sweet. But...

The front turbo isn't priming. No idea why but can't for the life of trying get any oil through to the oil drain
I'll get sme more pics up at some point with new gaskets etc etc but for now i'm going to cry myself to sleep.
The fitting was easy (they went in yesterday without a hitch) and today has been an all dayer sorting the oil and coolant lines as they aer in slightly different positions to the old turbo's (not alot but enough to be a headache).

If anyone has any advice then i'm all ears. Oh and of course just to wind me up something wrotten - its due to chuck it down tomorrow

#11 ·
Re hung the rear turbo, that's all i've had time for so far. The water return pipe had to be damaged to get it off as the sealing bolt had seized twisting the whole pipe. I'm waiting getting another pipe so I can continue on :thumbsup:

How are you checking for oil priming the turbos?

If you want me to post the pics for you I have webspace.

#13 ·
sorry guys I almost forgot about this thread...
Well progress was fine and dandy and all fitted.

Had exactly the same issue with the coolant pipe so cut it off and got another one once the tip etc was removed.

Primed the turbo's initially by making sure they were clean. Did this by using a syringe and pushing oil through slowly from the oil feed on the turbo and waisted until it dribbled out the oil return.
Then with the oil pipes all back in the car (did have some oil stuck so these were blown through first before fitting with compressed air), I cranked the car over for about 10 second at a time with the oil pipes off the turbo (and the ignition amp disconnected) just to confirm no further blockages until oil was seen out of the bottom.
Then with the oil feeds back on the turbo's I cranked her over again with the ignition amp off and the oil return off the bottom of both turbo's this took about 6 seperate cranks of about 30 seconds each until she was dripping freely.

Then connected her all up, all coolant (halfords red stuff) heaters on max and fired her up for about 2 minutes. Let sit for minutes and did this on and off for about 5 goes.

Then poodled up the road with heaters still on max.
Cam back checked for leaks and then started to enjoy quicker spooling and potentially more power :D

#15 ·
This is a serious question, is there any real need to push oil through the turbos with pipes off? From what I have seen, you only need to remove the lead from the cam angle sensor and crank the car over.

I'm just about to complete my turbo change job, obviously I dont want to ruin my new turbos first time out.

All I have left is the top air piping to do and mines finally done as well! speedingpanther, it looks like you have been waiting for the weather to break like me! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.