GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a UK R34 two weeks ago. It came with P Zero tyres which will need replacing shortly. Can any one give me any pointers to the merits or not of alternatives?

Goodyear F1 ?
Michelin Pilot ?
Potenza SO2/O3/O4 ?

Any others?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Tyres.

I have 18s on my Nismo GT3's, I had a set of Gooodyear F1's fitted last month and am very very happy with the results, I have used both SO2's and SO3's in the past on my STI5.

Either of the above are the way forward, even if they are the most expensive... in this case you most certainly pay for what you get.

Best bet is to speak to Mark at Abbey he will give you the best advice (as he did me) and source them at a very good price for you.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My view.

The F1's in my view hold the road better than the SO2/3 in very wet conditions the trye pattern is a constant V shape and has no groove running through the centre like the Bridgestones thus dispersing surface water better. As far as dry weather handling goes they perform as well.

Again I will don the flame proof suit. I went with the F1's on Marks recommendation and have been happy also they are slightly cheaper than the SO2 and 3.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Got to be Bridgestone....

James,

As expected, lots of different perspectives... I've just fitted (Friday) SO3s after a set of SO2s. I haven't had any of the other tyres so can't comment on those but I found the SO2s superb in the wet and dry. Wear rate is good, 8k + 7 track days. Even with less than 1mm in places on Friday, they did really well in the wet at Bedford. The SO3s are new so I haven't pushed them yet but I expect them to be even better than the SO2s. They are supposed to have stiffer sidewalls than the SO2s plus a number of other improvements and look really cool! They also appear to be even quieter than the SO2s and, as did the SO2s, eliminate practically all tram lining.

Take your pick...

Peter.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I'm very happy with the Yokohamas...as Guy said no tramlining!
Grip is good but slightly harder compound compared to the BS. Break away seems much smoother too...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Gripping Stuff

James,

Last year I was using a set of Falken FK-451’s, they compare more with the Yokohamas than the BS S-02’s I have now, that is they had better grip, a smoother break away, and where excellent in the cold wet winter and are quieter to. :)

Dino,

I don’t think the Yokohamas have a harder compound I think they have harder sidewalls, thus the harder ride but better grip and corning. ;)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Sorry chaps!

yep sorry ..nice tyre patterns but nothing as good looking as the F1 i'm afraid!!

Bugger I've no picture to back it up (can some one improvise?)

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
Just to add another manufacture into the equation :eek:

Has anyone tried Toyo T1S :D

I have Toyo fitted at the moment and was just going to replace with the same??

Best regards Alan

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Toyo's

I thought that they were to soft for the weight of the car. have you done any track days on them as I think the wear quite quickly!

They are a lot cheaper has to be said though!

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Purely for reference, :) the following extracts were taken from tyres-online.co.uk... ;)

AVS Sport

Sport Auto's reviewers (6/00) rated this tyre as generally average, although it did offer good dry traction on the rear axle and the lowest noise levels. The test recorded a slight delay in steering.

Rallye Racing (7/2000) praised the tyre for good dry performance but criticised the tyre's aquaplaning capabilities.

Eagle F1

After a very good aquaplaning and wet braking performance, Sport Auto's reviewers (3/00) recommended this tyre to consumers. On the downside, when pushed to the limit it tended to understeer, dry braking was unsatisfactory and handling was only rated average.

Bridgestone Potenza S-02

This tyre came joint first with two others in Sport Auto's test (6/00). The reviewers found its agile handling and precise steering with high aquaplaning resistance made it easily controllable in the wet. The S-02 also performed well in the braking test but offered low traction on the rear axle on a wet surface.

T1-S Proxes

The T1-S was rated above average in most sections of Auto Motor Und Sport magazine's test (6/00). It did very well in the handling and driveability tests but was considered poor for resistance to aquaplaning on a straight line and for rolling resistance.

This tyre gave a good performance under wet conditions in Sport Auto's test (6/00) where it offered excellent traction, steering precision and braking. In the dry, however, it provided imprecise steering and low traction.b Aquaplaning was also described as a weakness.

Not that I'm biased of course....

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
No track day usage just road.
I will have to talk to a few people ref compounds

Thought I would help out on the picture front Ian :D

Hey that sounded like I knew was I was talking about :eek:

Just how much of Bridgestone do you own Peter :p

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
toyo T1S

the toyos are very good i had them on my last R33 they look the same as the F1s but the groves are twice the size and they fly through standing water and when i bought them they only cost £600 INC FITTING AND VAT they were 245x40x18s.

keith

1 - 20 of 50 Posts