GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy a blue UK-spec 34 GTR but have just learnt the car is a cat C, apparently it was crashed by a journalist back in 2001 and then sent to Nissan for repairs where it was then sold through middlehurst.

So i guess the question is should I be worried, and is it still worth top money because its a UK car?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is it the one Steeve Coogan drove about in for a while? If you can collect press clippings and photographs showing its history it could be seen to be worth more in certain circles.

TBH most Skylines from 1999-2000 will have had something done to the bodywork by now - either through rust or an accident. So as long as the car is straight and clean I would not worry too much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it the one Steeve Coogan drove about in for a while? If you can collect press clippings and photographs showing its history it could be seen to be worth more in certain circles.

TBH most Skylines from 1999-2000 will have had something done to the bodywork by now - either through rust or an accident. So as long as the car is straight and clean I would not worry too much.
Appreciate the replies chaps.

Worrying is what im best at. Im not worried about the condition of the car as its tip top, Mark at abbey knows the car and said as much. I guess im concerned come re-sale time, is it worth as much as a normal car. If it was an import I would say no, but because its one of the 80 UK cars..... im not sure.

re: the steve coogan thing, i have no idea!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes I agree, A insurance write off whether minor damage (cat d), Or more serious/structual damage (cat C). Being a cat C its also printed on the log book, It should be significantly cheaper compared to a similar spec but Hpi clear car. And does also put off buyers if you decide to sell in he future.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It depends where those buyers are from though - international buyers would be less put off than UK ones. Of course, we're assuming here that the damage has been professionally repaired...it could have had a new front chassis leg, front wing and quarter panel - professionally done you would struggle to notice these unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

We don't know the price of the car or it's condition other than being described as tip top - but looking at previous trends a Bayside Blue UK Spec car will always find a buyer and depreciation will be minimal if condition is maintained.

The running costs make any depreciation seem minor anyway! If possibly losing a few grand in depreciation hurts, an R34 GT-R is not for you.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It won't show on the logbook, and to be honest you have answered your own question to a degree as even if the car is mint when you come to sell people will ask the same question as yourself so it will definitely hit resale value, I sold an mr2 that I had bought as accident damaged back In the days when you could get a car inspected then condition inspected would go on hpi and that put loads of buyers off even though it had had a really thorough inspection.

·
Administrator
31,902 Posts
Simple, if you are worrying about it, then any potential buyer in the future will also worry. You need to be paying less than a non-Cat C example simply because of the stigma the Cat C holds.

Mook

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
A car that costs around £25-30K has to be worth less if it has been crashed quite badly and is cat C , that is to anyone in their right mind anyway ( IMHO)

And for me thats the key you dont get a cat c £25K car by having a minor scrape.
You need a lot of damage to cat C a 34GTR even with Nissan spares prices as they are

This is a very high performance car - anything slightly wrong and it wont drive as it should.
Of course Im not saying this has not been repaired right but who in their right mind would buy a cat c car in front of a straight car -NOBODY

so it has to be worth less

·
Super Moderator
16,263 Posts
Worth less, and your insurance would pay out a lot less too in the event of a claim (yes you have to declare it to them). Wouldn't put me off at the right price having said that.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
A car that costs around £25-30K has to be worth less if it has been crashed quite badly and is cat C , that is to anyone in their right mind anyway ( IMHO)

And for me thats the key you dont get a cat c £25K car by having a minor scrape.
You need a lot of damage to cat C a 34GTR even with Nissan spares prices as they are

This is a very high performance car - anything slightly wrong and it wont drive as it should.
Of course Im not saying this has not been repaired right but who in their right mind would buy a cat c car in front of a straight car -NOBODY

so it has to be worth less
As Brian says.

To get a Cat C the estimated repair costs must have been pretty serious.

In my experience a Cat D is over 40% of the value of the vehicle and a Cat C is over the value of the vehicle.

So on an R34 GT-R with how much they are worth you are talking about some pretty extensive repairs.

It's not about it being structural to be Cat C.
I recently bought a fully working Cat C car that went straight through an MOT.
It was only a Cat C because the car was valued at £900 and a new tailgate and painting was £1,000. :chuckle:

Also as said a Cat C car should have an entry on the first page of the V5c to show when it's identity was checked by VOSA under the VIC test scheme.
Without the test it can't be put back on the road to stop people doing cut and shut jobs.
But some older Cat C cars are mising this VIC test/V5c entry as the DVLA didn't used to care about red tape as much.

Overall, would I buy a Cat C R34 GT-R... No, not a chance.
Because you are talking about a lot of repair work being needed and no matter how good the repairs are I'd be concerned it's not 100% right.
It's only got to passs an MOT and identity check to be deemed fine after all...

However, the R34 GT-R is becoming quite expensive, so it could be a cheaper way into ownership.
But it needs to be significantly cheaper than one that isn't recorded as a Cat C.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.