GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't find much information on undersealing your own car when I searched, so I thought I would post up mt own endeavours.

I used Dinitrol products, firstly to treat the rust and prevent any further rot and then to underseal and protect from stones and roadkill lol.

Pictures start part way through as I had a camera malfunction, but I'd only got it up on axle stands, removed the front bumper, wheels and wheel arch trims.

I jetwashed underneath and then took the coilovers out.
Then inspected underneath.

I then masked off the car as I didn't want any spray drift to cover the car in waxy black s**t!

There was also quite a bit to cover up underneath too, like the exhaust!
Then sprayed on the first waxy coating to attack any rust and keep any moisture out.
Then undersealed with the proper black stuff. :clap:

I took the opportunity to clean up and restore a couple of other bits too.

Once the front half was done, it was time to put the wheels back on and spin it round!

With the help of my magic ramps :D

Underneath the back wasn't very pretty either and there was more to mask off then at the front.

Then repeated the process.

Random photo of my cat, just to make sure you are still paying attention :D

I repainted the exhaust heatshield with high temperature paint.

Up

Down

All done.

Polished and finished.

Here endeth the project :thumbsup:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good effect, How long did that took you?
Like that ramp u have there, where from?
Spraying the stuff on doesn't take long, but the preparation, cleaning, masking off all the bushes, exhaust etc takes ages. I spent about a week on it, but did lots of other jobs too.

Lots of bolts for the front splitter were totally rusted and broke, so that wasted time but they have all been replaced with stainless steel.

Ramps are from ebay. Search: Adjustable car ramps.
First time I've used them, but well chuffed.:D

·
Registered
434 Posts
:bowdown1::bowdown1::bowdown1:

i've done mine too and it's really not the most enjoyable work to do... :puke::chuckle:but once it's done you can be proud :smokin:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Excellent job, I've been looking into undersealing mine. I was going to use POR-15 but have since found that it contains isocyanates and I don't have the correct equipment to use it. What Dinitrol products did you use and do you need any particular PPE, or just the usual gloves, goggles and mask? Fancy doing mine?! :thumbsup: lol.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent job, I've been looking into undersealing mine. I was going to use POR-15 but have since found that it contains isocyanates and I don't have the correct equipment to use it. What Dinitrol products did you use and do you need any particular PPE, or just the usual gloves, goggles and mask? Fancy doing mine?! :thumbsup: lol.
I nearly went the POR-15 route too, but was put off, thankfully!
I got the kit off the Dinitrol website which included a rust converter aerosol, the waxy stuff called Corromax and the black stuff which is called 4941.
Kit included a disposable overall, face mask, gloves and a Schutz gun. I have a compressor, so it was dead easy to be honest and the whole lot was only about £100.

Apart from the compressor (and my rather sexy ramps), no special kit needed.

I didn't want it going through another winter like the last one, without protection, as it gets used every day.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The bubbly bit is actually a reflection and a trick of the light, the brown bit is rust. :bawling: It's not as bad as it looks, but needs sorting.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Loving those Sissor ramps, nice touch! a couple of guys have done this now, nice to see these cars finally receiving the T.L.T. they deserve! Particularly liked northstar34's write up and pictures!

I also spent Sunday and Monday treating the under-seal on the Bimmer, so got POR15 everywhere again lol, love that stuff, its amazing, i've sean the Dintrol products and they too sound good, dose it also chemically bound to the metal?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've just read Northstar34's thread... wow!
I don't know about the chemical bonding, I suspect not, but it has a good reputation; doesn't dry as hard as POR-15, so doesn't chip and reckons to self heal.

I've got some other bits to sort out, like diffuser parts, so I may try POR-15 on those.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Thanks for the info! POR-15 is awesome stuff, I did my battery tray with it and the finish is second to none, have never used anything like it. The health aspects of using it have put me off mind you, if you're going to use it make sure to use a mask, goggles and gloves at the very least!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts