GTR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Today I found out that my work visa for New Zealand has been approved.
This for me is the first step towards something I have been dreaming about for 7 years.
Owning my own R34 GTR!! :)
My wife has kindly agreed to let me use some profit we made selling our house to buy the GTR (silly perhaps but who am I to say no)

I have done a lot of research here over the last few months and found that as I answer one question another comes up.

My plan for the car is to keep it indefinatly and have it tuned (eventually) for
street and a bit of track use. As I wanted something special/collectable I decided that a Vspec II would be the best bet (yes I know I may never been a good enough driver to appreciate the difference). But then I found out about about the N1 block and the Nur engine in particular and this lead to another big decision. Should I try and stretch to a Nur? Bearing in mind they still sell for quite a lot more (30%) than a normal VSpec II.

Then I found out you can get a crate motor from the likes of Mines or Top Secret which would technically be just as good an engine as the Nur but with the benefit of being a 2,8 and surely you would not want to put a stroker kit in a Nur motor?

So what would be best,

Vspec II Nur, bearing in mind you would have to keep it fairly standard for it to be a collectors item
or a regular Vspec II with the view to getting a crate motor in the future?

I am tending to think that you cant get much more special than a Vspec II with a Mines stage 2 motor. I will also allow me to have more money in the bank now and do the mods at a later stage.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

And yes I will be in NZ in time to see the HKS GTR in action :)

Thanks

Stretch

PS colour is also going to be another big decision, especially as I have ever only seen a real R34 twice.
Does Sparkling Silver look as good in real life as the pics of Cem/Nito's car in
this link
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/58003-nissan-skyline-r34-gtr-v-spec-ii-nur.html

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
If it was me personally, then yes in your shoes i'd buy a V-Spec II and tune it to my needs.

Otherwise if i bought a Nur, i Would just make the most out of the N1 turbos, and end the day at that.

Overall I'd go for a V-Spec II myself, and tune the hell out of it! Like you say IMO doesn't make sense to buy a nice Nur and then tune it....

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Can't beat a stage 1 Nur. Safe and reliable
Very true. Guess it depends if your happy with 550bhp or so, or if you want more than that.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Can't beat a stage 1 Nur. Safe and reliable. :)
Here, here.
Wise words from the "old sage" well not that old i suppose:chuckle:

I`ve got to agree 110% its the smoothest RB26 you will probably ever experience, just driving the car you know that there is something special under the bonnet.
Click the link for my web site below.:) go to my car and my car history.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
It depends what you ultimately want really. The Nur is special, and IMO it's a shame to mess around with it too much.

A VSpec II with a nice engine is special in it's own way, and is what I would go for.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I was asking me the same question some weeks ago,having the money to buy a very nice Nürspec,so money is not the reason i went for a V-spec II,because i dont need more,the engine can be tuned to a better engine then a nürspec,Nür-turbos are to small for higher numbers,you need to change most of the Nür-specialparts,so you wont keep to much of the Nür ............

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
If I had to make the same choice I'd probably go V-specII with a view to modifying it. As has rightly been said, you'd be taking away the essence of the Nür if you start to replace all the engine bits and pieces. I suppose on the flip side you would start off with a better base (N1 block etc..) to work with if you got the Nür and wanted more power....
Your money at the end of the day mate. A V-spec would at least be a bit cheaper and you could spend the 'saved' money (from NOT buying a Nür) on goodies. :squintdan :squintdan :squintdan

TT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts