GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to change the wheels and brakes and I'm pretty much set on the 18" Nismo LM GT4 (silver), and a Brembo upgrade.

Looking at the Nismo parts catalogue, they're available in 18×9.5J OFF+12 with 265/35-18 tyres. I assume with this offset and increased tyre width they'll fill the arches nicely with the S-Tune suspension?

Brake wise I'm looking for a Brembo upgrade, something that doesn't mind gentle use in traffic, but can handle hard street use as well as the occasional track day.

Does anyone know if there is a larger "off the shelf" front and rear Brembo kit available that will fit under these wheels?

I know Nismo list a front kit, but what about the Z-Tune setup, is this available as a package? The ABS was adjusted on the Z-Tune to make full use of it, has anyone done this?

Bean - Did Top Secret source and fit the Brembo's on your car here in Japan? If so could you help me talk to them, see what's available?

Once the new rims and brakes are on I'll be looking to sell the standard wheels and brakes. Is there much of a market in Japan for second hand Skyline parts?

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Nick,
Brakes are really subjective and it depends where you see you using your car the most.
Budget also comes into it, of course.
Hopefully we can talk at the weekend - or just mail me and I'll tell you as much as I can.

Oh yeah - and unless you want to use S-tyres go for 19s - look so much better.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say fast road use. I don't want competition pads that take a lap to warm up and generate loads of dust, and I don't want something that's going to fade after a couple of big stamps with my right foot either.

I think something similar to my Supra. That has F-50 calipers (4-pots) with 14" discs on the front, and smaller 4-pot calipers and 13.58" discs on the rear. It's a nice kit and works very well.

Budget is fairly open, you get what you pay for IMO. I'm not about to spend money on something I don't need though.

When you say S-Tyres, do you mean snow tyres? I'm not sure about 19's, the only thing they seem to have in their favour is the look, but I saw a couple of BNR34's at Zele on Saturday with LMGT4's in 18's and they looked great.

We'll talk Sunday...:)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
S-tyres are the Japanese teminology for semi-slicks like the Bridgestone RE55S
Personal opinion but I think almost all the 19" versions of LMGT4, TE37, CE28 etc look better than the 18s - but no-one makes 19" S-tyres.

For road use - if you don't mind using non-Brembo - I'd recommend the Greddy 355mm 6pot (Fr) and 330mm 4pot (Rr).
If you are prepared to get 19's then you could go for the 8pot 380mm front kit.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hmmm, might look into keeping the original wheels for Shaken time...unless you plan on using a "service" to get it through.

You are TONS better selling your stuff in the UK...check YahooJP to see how low the prices for brakes and wheels is.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
No problem with shaken.

I'm in the same boat as you Nick regardign wheels & brakes. I'm looking into pretty much every possible option and will soon be making a decision. Top Secret was very kind today as they finally gave me an idea of what 18" wheels I need to go for with 380 mm rotors. It's definitely cut the list short but still not made my mind up:(

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
S-tyres are the Japanese teminology for semi-slicks like the Bridgestone RE55S
Personal opinion but I think almost all the 19" versions of LMGT4, TE37, CE28 etc look better than the 18s - but no-one makes 19" S-tyres.

For road use - if you don't mind using non-Brembo - I'd recommend the Greddy 355mm 6pot (Fr) and 330mm 4pot (Rr).
If you are prepared to get 19's then you could go for the 8pot 380mm front kit.
Definitely listen to Bean, Nick. If there's one person that has first hand experience on this topic, its him. :smokin:

Cya O!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
No problem with shaken.

I'm in the same boat as you Nick regardign wheels & brakes. I'm looking into pretty much every possible option and will soon be making a decision. Top Secret was very kind today as they finally gave me an idea of what 18" wheels I need to go for with 380 mm rotors. It's definitely cut the list short but still not made my mind up:(
Spill the beans then ????

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
I have Toyo semi slicks on my car Nick.
They're very good and ride much better than the old tyres I had.
Just drive sensibly in the rain. Which we do get here from time to time.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Spill the beans then ????
LOL...no secrets Bean. Shibuki san kindly made a few calls and it turns out that the interior diameter of the Enkei NT03s I had my heart set on is not enough to fit 380 mm rotors & Brembo 8 pots. TE37s will be bo problem. So that's the wheels sorted....

What I'm currently planning is getting Brembo 8 pots & 360 calipers form a mate in Italy who gets good prices from Brembo. Then it's up to me to find the correct center bells for my application, rotors and the hardest part of all the brackets. Seems brackets are the impossible bits to get as no reseller in Japan wants to sell them separately from the package. It would cost me about 50 Euro to get them custom made in Italy...while in Japan....seems I'm looking for the impossible to be done. LOL It's just knowing what the calipers are actually worth from the manufacturer that is stopping me from going for a complete kit here in Japan. The mark up boggles the mind.

So my next step is to stop dealing with shops and resellers that don't make parts but just buy ready made stuff and bolt pieces together Lego style, and find a proper workshop/machine shop willing to do the work for me! Will I ever manage to do it....only time will tell!:D :rolleyes:

·
6,821 Posts
So Dino around what price range are you talking there . . . do you have a budjet defined, or is it not really an issue for you?
I was looking recently for diffrent brake systhems for 17 wheels for a Toms Mr-s turbo . . . get disillusioned after a certain time, looking for diffrent makers, with to many price variations...
If it is something that I hate to choise on a car, it's the suspension and brakes . . cos only after you spend your howl wallet , you notice the small things that are not the way you want them . . .:flame:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I open to opinons on what to go for.

I'm thinking Brembo because I know what to expect, and it's easy to get replacement pads and discs if I move back to the UK. Quality is also second to none.

380mm discs and 8-pots are monsters, are they necessary for anything other than serious track use?

We'll have a chat at Top Secret on Sunday :)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
LOL It's just knowing what the calipers are actually worth from the manufacturer that is stopping me from going for a complete kit here in Japan. The mark up boggles the mind.
:D do not ever tell me.....

Top Secret will get you the discs and bells I'm sure - the only bit left is the bracket - which any machine shop would be happy to make you as long as you know where all the bolt centres need to be.

Going to be at TS on Sunday - they are going to test fit the 18" TE37s over my brakes - do you have time to come over ?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi Nick

I know from your other post that you ended up with what looks like the Brembo setup from the ZTune.
Any chance of posting an update here with the details of the setup you ended up with?

I am also very interested to know if you have made any changes to the ABS to take advantage of the new barkes?
If not is the ABS working ok?
The reason I ask is that I owned a car that had an uprated Brembo system (on a Subaru) but the ABS used to trigged very early if the surface was uneven.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts