GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If ever there was an advert about buying second hand parts then this has got to be it !

I bought these 'Rebuilt with steel internals' Turbos in good faith from a member on this forum (I dont want to say names at this stage and start a slagging match which will not get me my money back), I've been told this must've happened in transit...what do you think ?

Looks to me like someone tightened the bolt to this (the oil feed I assume?) too tightly and cracked the flange/housing ? It's solid metal.

I am going to take them into Abbey and get them looked at properly.

Feel pretty pi$$ed off, as you can imagine...back to the drawing board then :(

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hard to tell was the package damaged the turbos came in? I would get it welded without stripping it down as its away from the bearing area and use it. You can weld cast iron by the way.

·
Registered
442 Posts
No guarantees when welding cast. I'm a pro welder and have repaired things like that many times. Most times they repair ok, sometimes they don't!
Repairing it may also involve using a helicoil kit to re-fit the threads.

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope they were well packaged up.

The other turbo appears to have a small crack in exactly the same place too...this is why I dont think it could of happened in transit.

Here's a pic of that one :

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Not done in the post then. You could remove the broken bit fit a stud and use JB Weld on the outside.Its only a low pressure drain back to the sump, you can fit the drain elbow before putting the turbo back on.

Better still get your money back.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
It looks like a classic overtighten problem. The force on the treads simply bursts the casting.

You can hold the drain pipe on with only 1 bolt, but I've got for a refund personally

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd certainly like a refund, I dont want to take any chances with my engine !

Whether that happens or not, we'll just have to see !?! :(

·
R35 Section manager
10,972 Posts
Thats really poor quality and a fellow member of this forum should be feeling very guilty for selling such tat. If a refund is not given I would name and shame the scamster.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
LOL, scamster indeed. Cracking terminology TREG.

·
Registered
391 Posts
i have purchased quite a few things that are not of use due to my inexperiance or ignorance but they were sold in good faith.

Looks like somebody is trying to rip you off, no way could you take these out, possibly clean, inspect and package these and not know about the damage.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Both sides are cracked - someone should be ashamed of themselves :eek: .

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought these at the end of October, I took them out the box to have a quick look at them, they looked ok to me.

I wrapped them back up and put them back in the box....where they have remained, in the corner of my living room ever since whilst I saved up the money to buy new Injectors, Fuel Pump and HKS elbows and have it all fitted over the winter whilst the car was being stored away.

I know of at least 1 person from this forum that can verify that !

Only today did I have a proper look at them and see the cracks, sorry but I just cant believe this could happen during transit.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Stress fracture caused by over tightening not by mechanical damage in transit,

It would take a well placed blow with a hammer to knock that corner off and that would leave a mark. Definatly over tightened when in place in the engine.

somebody should offer an immediate refund

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Man, that sucks...was there insurance on the package? Although even with insurance the Post office would requre the original box they came in...do you still have that?

On another note, what has been the response from the selling member, I assume not good since your posting up here...:(

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
This is a mechanical failure from overtightening,not from transport,no way. Speak to the guy who sold them and get a refund,send the sh*t back to him,i would not repair them,it is very hot at that point,so chances that it breaks again are very high.

Alex

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
If the turbo's were sold in good faith, maybe due to the previous owner upgrading to bigger turbo's or single is it possible he did not know they were cracked.
Reading this post, thats what I'm hoping. That way, a refund should be forthcoming, when returned the seller could have the turbo's welded and then re-advertise with the history listed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i saw them yesterday and they didnt look to healthy :( like everyone has said on here, hasnt happened during delivery.

he may not of known due to upgrading them etc but chances are the original seller saw it and hoped it wouldnt be mentioned.

has he said anything more about a refund Giles?

·
Registered
440 Posts
he probably sold them because he knew they were broken and you couldnt check them till you paid. classic! tell him to pay you back or go public its not fair! maybe hes doing it with his other broken parts which is a scam!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts