GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not found the GTR of my dreams yet so I'm looking at other options for a while.

I have see a couple of reasonably priced R34 GTT's and wondered what the main differences are compared with a GTR. I remember in late 1999 there was a review in 'Car' which rated them very highly. But will I be disappointed with one compared with a fairly standard GTR? They are both quoted as 280bhp and both have 4 wd etc (I guess the GTT has much less sophisticated electronics?).

Are there any good sites I can find out more?

If I bought a GTT I would only keep for about a year when hopefully I'll be able to afford an R34 GTR :)

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
805 Posts
Jon, R34 GTt is 2WD, not sure if a 4WD is available like on the old R33 GTS ...but a good car non the less

Ron

·
Registered
506 Posts
Power

Jon,

No matter what you go for GTS-t, GTT or GTR, you will always want more POWER. These cars are very very addictive....and therefore expensive:D . but hey, lifes short so enjoy:D . If you want a stopgap for year get a GTT, if not just get a GTR, we all go there eventually, I just haven't got bored of my GTS-t yet:smokin:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Bored!!

Alan,

What can I say:D :D :smokin:
?!!

See ya Sat,

Stu

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry I'm new to this...can some one fill me in with the differences with the GTS, GTS-t and GTT???

Cheers
Scott

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hmmm

Scott,

I'll try, but i'm just a pleb who owns one so i don't knoe too much about the specifics..:(

The GTS and GTS-t are rear wheel drive only. The 't' of the GTS-t denotes that this is a (single) turbo version. Whereas the GTR is a twin turbo 4WD with super-duper computer wizardry etc etc:rolleyes: . Don't know how the GTS-t differs from the GTT but I suspect that Nissan got lazy and just dropped the 'S' so it is in essence the same concept - single turbo rear wheel drive. The otehr big difference between the GTRs and GTS is that the engine in the Latter is teh RB25 which is a 2.5 liter racing breed dual overhead cam, single turno as apposed to teh GTR RB26 which is a racing breed dual overhead cam twin turbo or whatever.

To be honest i'm talking shite. I'm not an expert....far from it I just read stuff. You need someone like Bruce or Jamie M to give you the blurb;)

HTH,

Stu

·
Registered
8 Posts
interesting...
So what Gizmo's do the GTS have? Traction control? LSD? etc.
And what kind of cross country pace could I expect, I mean how do they compare with something like a Scoob in terms of speed.

Currently looking at getting shot of my cars as the Honda is just to frantic for my liking and you have to drive it by the scruff of the neck to really get the most from it and the Wife point blank refuses to park her bum in the Elise as she thinks it's unsafe (must be the way I drive it) and thinks it's too noisy (that'll be the sports exhaust and straight through pipe which she does'nt know I bought).

So a Skyline is on the cards...

Scott

·
Registered
506 Posts
Errrr.....

Scott,

You're asking technical stuff now so I'm out of the equation.:( When it comes to comparisons I suppose the GTS and the GTR and the Skyline equivalent of the Scooby sport and the Scooby turbo. So my GTS is more like a family/hairdressers car compared to the GTR:eek: so your missus would find it easy to drive the GTS. But....

...most do end up with after market exhausts with a bore you could fit a small family down:D so noise would still continue to be a problem. To be honest, your best bet would be to meet up with some of the guys in Scotland and actually have a look and (if your lucky) get a ride.

Just my tuppence worth

Stu

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi

I believe there is a lovely white GTS for sale in Aberdeen.

Know this to be a very nice car
If you are interested I will tell the guy to give you a call.

Cheers Tom
:smokin:

·
Registered
225 Posts
The R32 range:

GXi - The bare basic model R32 1.8 litre, rwd, non-turbo, no extras.
GTE - 2 litre family model, four door, non turbo, single overhead cam.
GTS - 2 ltr, in-line 6. DOHC, EFI, 2 & 4 drs, RWD, standard sports model.
GTS25 - 2.5ltr, in-line 6. DOHC, EFI, 2 & 4 drs, RWD, non-turbo, sports model.
GTSt - 2 ltr, in-line 6 cyl, DOHC, EFI, 2 & 4 drs, RWD, turbo charged sports car.
GTS4 - 2 ltr, in-line 6 cyl, DOHC, EFI, 2 & 4 drs, 4WD, turbo - some feature GTR specs (eg ATTESSA 4WD)
GTR - 2.6ltr, in-line 6 cyl DOHC, EFI, 2 dr, twin turbo, 4WS, 4WD, ABS, HICAS...

Basic R32 Specification Chart:
Model Engine Type Description Power Output CC Drive Doors
GXi CA18i 1.8litre 4cyl 91PS/5200rpm 1809 RWD 4 door
GTE RB20E 2ltr, 6 cyl, single cam [email protected]
[email protected] 1998 RWD 4 door
GTS RB20DE 2ltr, 6 cyl, double overhead cam [email protected]
[email protected] 1998 RWD 2 & 4 dr
GTS25 RB25DE 2.5ltr, 6 cyl, DOHC [email protected]
[email protected] 2498 RWD 2 & 4 dr
GTSt RB20DET 2ltr, 6cyl, dohc, turbo [email protected]
[email protected] 1998 RWD 2 & 4 dr
GTS4 RB20DET 2ltr, 6cyl, dohc, turbo [email protected]
[email protected] 1998 4WD 2 & 4 dr
GTR RB26DETT 2.6ltr, 6cyl, twin turbo [email protected]
[email protected] 2568 4WD 2 dr
Decifering the Engine name:
RB - series of engine 20 / 25 / 26 - capacity (20~1998cc / 25~2497cc / 26~2597cc) D - Double Overhead Cam (or DOHC) E - EFI (Electronic fuel injection) T /TT - Turbo / twin turbo
Engine Type:
The R32 generally featured the RB series of engine in all instances except for in the case of the R32 GXi which feature the CA18i engine. This was a four cylinder, 1.8 litre normally aspirated engine.

Special models:
During and after general production, a handful of special models were released in small numbers. These rare cars generally featured a small variation from the normal, and seemed to be more like test models than anything. The Autech R32 is an example of this. The Autech R32 was tuned by Autech and was basically a four door R32 GTR, without the turbos, as it housed an RB26DE in its engine bay and an automatic gearbox. You can deduce from the name that the engine was a 2.6 litre DOHC EFI in-line six normally aspirated variant. Very good for pulling trailers since they have tonnes of torque.

Model E-HNR32
Dimensions 4580×1695×1360 mm
Weight 1480kg
Engine RB26DE
Power 220PS /6800rpm
Wheel 205/55R16 88V

R32 production began in 1989 and continued through to August 1993 which saw the beginning of the new R33 series of Skyline. Only a handful of R32 GTR's were produced after this date. The R32 Skyline generation is nearing 10 years now, most models are surely pushing 100,000kms to 150,000kms already. The R32 is a real workhorse of a machine, function, stylish and fast... The R32 certainly offers bang-for-buck especially considering the low prices. The reliability of the Skyline makes it the choice of car for many based on that reason alone. Models often differ due to the requirements ordered by the customer when the car was originally produced in Japan. The 1993 R32's are considered to be a favourable purchase considering it was the final year of production. This means that the car more than likely has less milage, and perhaps a higher level of options available. ie HICAS, ABS, 4WS... Since the beginning of the R32 production Nissan supplied high spec options for customers who wanted it.
This certainly shows there is a huge range of Skylines on the market, and a lot to look for if you are the prospective buyer of a new vehicle.

I hope this helps - Phil

·
Registered
506 Posts
Bl**dy Hell Phil!

Nice one Phil:D . You don't happen to have similar info for the R33 GT range as well do you?

Cheers in advance,

Stu:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
The R33 Range

Released Name Engine Power Trans CC Rating

1993/08 R33 GTS(G) RB20E [email protected]
[email protected] RWD 1998
1993/08 R33GTS25(G,S) RB25DE [email protected] [email protected] RWD 2498
1993/08 R33 GTS25t(M) RB25DET [email protected]
[email protected] RWD 2498
1993/11 R33 GTS-4 RB25DE [email protected]
[email protected] 4WD 2498
1993/08 R33 GT-R RB26DETT [email protected]
[email protected] 4 Wheel Drive Coupe

The R34 Range

Released Name Engine Power Trans CC Rating
1998/2000 R34GT RB20DE 103 KW RWD 1998
1998/2000 R34GTX25 RB25DE 142 KW RWD 2498
1998/2000 R34 25GT TURBO RB25DET 187 KW RWD 2498
1998/2000 R34 GT-R RB26DETT 206 KW 4 WD Coupe

Phil

·
Registered
506 Posts
Cheers Phil

Very useful info. Might almost be worth putting this stuff in the technical section as these kinda questions are bound to come up repeatedly.....just a thought

Thanx again Phil:smokin:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah - I know these questions have come up before

I do know that Joss is re-vamping the site currently - maybe a good time to add to the technical section

Joss - Any thoughts ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cheers for the info.
You don't have the math for converting KW to BHP do you???:)

Phil, Just noticed you have a GSI, Very similar in respects to my Type-R. I know this is a daft question but what's the comparison between stepping from your GSI to a Standard GTR Skyline...It might give me an inkling of what to expect having never sat in one before.

Does anyone know where I can get more info on the R34 25GT turbo??? sounds interesting...

Cheers
Scott

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks

Great stuff, thanks for the help... It sounds like an R33 GTR will be a better stop gap than an R34 GT turbo. I just need to find the right R33 now.

Cheers

Jon

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Kilowatts (kW) ---> Horse power (hp): kW times 1.34 = hp

Everyone talks in KW here, it's a bit weird when you first arrive from the UK !! Evenutally you get it though. ;)

Canman

·
Registered
225 Posts
BMX - Hard to pin it down really - it's a completely different ballgame

I would have to say that the most noticable difference is in the feel through the steering wheel - you can almost feel every pebble in the road - wonderfully direct - although this is one of the few downsides to the GSi - the accord type-R is much better in that respect

Also the traction and grip - simply staggering - especially coming from a powerful FWD car

Go on - get one - you know you want to !!!

Phil

1 - 20 of 29 Posts