GTR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Top work CC and as misters3 says, great way to check the doors are locked.

Ok I'll tell the truth, it looks soooooooo cool and I love it.:bowdown1:

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Sounds like a brilliant solution! Can't believe why Nissan haven't thought about this :p

·
Registered
737 Posts
Put me down for one as well price depending

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Price has been sorted, but I want to get a proper install guide together and sort out some of the wiring parts too.

That way I can start another thread with pictures of the finished unit and some install snaps so folks can see whether they're comfortable fitting it themselves.

Please remember that this isnt my day job, I have a very busy working life, so I will get stuff together as quick as I can.

The modules are ready but there is a lot of work for me to do to get the wiring and connectors right as I have to make every one myself.

Bear with me as I'll hopefully have a thread up next weekend.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Interested

I used to have the same feature on a type R Scooby in the nineties and I really miss it - definitely interested!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Maybe there should be a list made so Andy can get a better idea on numbers. Copy the list and add your name

1) Tweaked (cheyne)

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
He will create a new thread with price and info. We can add names there :)
This is true!

I want to get everything together so I can post up install pics, a decent description and pricing. That way the names collected will be confirmed orders rather than maybe/maybe nots.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Hi Andy,

I'll have a folding mirror module. Gonna get my my other half to get it me for chrimbo :D

What happens if you don't get 20 takers? I'm sure you will given how much early interest there was. Is it a no go and a refund or will the price go up to cover the production costs or what?

Cheers.

Sam

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Hi Sam, yep that's been my quandary over this whole project. The company making the pcb and part of the wiring loom actually has a minimum order quantity in the hundreds but I've managed to get them to agree to do 20 for me (I kinda blagged that this was a prototype run, and much more would follow...!) but at a much, much higher price than an actual production run of course.

The minimum order number is 20 units for me, so I do need confirmed orders before I spunk out a couple of grand on this as you can imagine.

I'm always wary of organising something like this as it still amazes how many people are definitely interested, only to decide against it when they have to spend some money.

If I can get 10-15 orders then hopefully the remainder will be sold as time goes on and not leave me out of pocket, but I'm in no hurry to get shafted over this hence my thread outlining the order process.

Time will tell just how many folks are interested, and if we start getting numbers up to 30+ the price should come down by a tenner or more hopefully, my negotiating skills dependant! I'd then refund folks the appropriate amount by paypal should this happen.

I'm actually caught between a rock and a hard place with these as there's a huge amount of work for me to do with each module when I get it in order for it to work on the R35 and I may regret doing this completely!!

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Well i'm definately still in. Will sort out paypal this week and add my name to the other thread.

Have you gauged any interest from nagtroc?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I'd be surprised if there was any interest in the US as their GTRs come with auto folding mirrors as standard I thought.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I'm actually caught between a rock and a hard place with these as there's a huge amount of work for me to do with each module when I get it in order for it to work on the R35 and I may regret doing this completely!!
Have you thought about outsourcing this to a smaller engineering company to pre-fab the whole product? Saves you some time and I'm pretty sure it's easier to negotiate deals with them.

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Have you thought about outsourcing this to a smaller engineering company to pre-fab the whole product? Saves you some time and I'm pretty sure it's easier to negotiate deals with them.
It's all about the numbers.

No company I could find takes on a design and build for 20-30 units at a price which is reasonable. Most stipulate orders in the hundreds and I have no desire to spend that sort of wonga on a little pet project.

It's actually cheaper to have the pcb and loom made, then adapt the connectors they have to work with the R35. The connectors I have sourced are as close to the OEM ones as I can find. The actual OEM connectors are an "OEM restricted item" and I cannot get hold of any at all. If I could it would simplify the manufacturing side completely and save me a whole lot of time.

From a cost perspective I could have had the PCB and loom made in China for about £10 less (landed) but after testing 2 different suppliers, they were cheaply made, and one actually failed after about 2 weeks. Given this isnt my day job I have no wish to be faced with returned units over the next 12 months so I went with a European supplier whose supplied module was well constructed and has a real OEM feel to it.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
100% still in here buddy

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I'm still in!!

81 - 100 of 117 Posts