GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for any suppliers that have some good deals / pricing pricing aswell as feedback from forum users on what disks they have run and what they do / do not rate please.

Brakes haven't been feeling at their best recently. I put it down to old worn rear pads (pagid RS29). Spent an hour changing them this evening (to DS2500) and the disks look fine but are down to minimum wear point (28mm). Infact the rear OS disk is just under and the inside face has nearly worn away all of the grooves.

So I'm looking to replace front and rear disks shortly.

Car is a CBA with 380mm disks which I will happily fit again although if good pricing about for bigger disks including a quality calliper bracket then I'd be interested. Will also need a new bobbin kit.

I'm currently running AP slotted disks and bells which have been great so no compulsion to change, but I'm listening if there are rated alternatives available at good pricing.

I don't want to run Alcons (in my mind they can be noisy and problematic as well as being expensive).

Mostly fast road use. Occasional trackdays and sprint events. Quite a few high speed stops. Will be running with endless mx72 pads.

I've used JDL brakes for most of my last pad purchases but their pricing doesn't look too keen at the moment for disks and they don't seem to offer the AP slotted.

As i say, front and rear disks, 380 AP slotted are the benchmark.

Interested in people's views of what's good and anyone that can offer me a good deal.

Thanks
Mart

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Interested in people's views of what's good and anyone that can offer me a good deal.

Thanks
Mart
Good luck! It's always a nightmare finding decent GT-R discs at a price that isn't a pure GT-R tax rip off!

I'm trying the Mtec ones next for £450 (fronts).

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I saw the Mtecs and they look a bargain. Also like a rip off of the AP slotted! Be interested to see how you get on but I think I will order sooner than that and not sure I'm brave enough to go for them.

Also DBA T3 5000 are an option that shouldn't break the bank.

I will try circuit supplies and see what they can do. Will say Barry sent me.... For the extra special discount right?

Karl - I had a peep and looks like direct deals are trade only. Did you go direct and was that trade?

I can't stop looking at the performance friction disks. Particularly the 405 set up. But these are a bit pricier, as I will need the bells too the first time around. Indigo GT seem to have a reasonable price at the mo but I think still a bit more than I ideally want to spend

·
Registered
34 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with Mtec imho, used them on my supercharged 350z on road and track with zero issues, whilst i appreciate the concerns over the cheaper price i really couldnt find a noticeable difference to the dba's i had on a previous 350z.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Yea I saw the Mtecs and they look a bargain. Also like a rip off of the AP slotted! Be interested to see how you get on but I think I will order sooner than that and not sure I'm brave enough to go for them.

Also DBA T3 5000 are an option that shouldn't break the bank.

I will try circuit supplies and see what they can do. Will say Barry sent me.... For the extra special discount right?

Karl - I had a peep and looks like direct deals are trade only. Did you go direct and was that trade?

I can't stop looking at the performance friction disks. Particularly the 405 set up. But these are a bit pricier, as I will need the bells too the first time around. Indigo GT seem to have a reasonable price at the mo but I think still a bit more than I ideally want to spend
Hi Mate
I had the PF405s on mine , they are not a straight fit on the early cars you will need bigger spacers and longer bolts , i also grinded the inside outer lip off the caliper for a bit more clearance , quite a bit of faffing around tbh but if you do go for them i am sure i have the spacers and bolts somewhere which i will let you have

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Mate
I had the PF405s on mine , they are not a straight fit on the early cars you will need bigger spacers and longer bolts , i also grinded the inside outer lip off the caliper for a bit more clearance , quite a bit of faffing around tbh but if you do go for them i am sure i have the spacers and bolts somewhere which i will let you have

That's an excellent offer Terry. Thank you! I have a grinder so could mod the callipers although that sounds a little terrifying and would also likely mean removing the calliper from the system so even more work (or did you grind insitu?)

I am tempted though although been talking to Charles Charlie as he needs brakes soon so might just opt for the APs front and rear again and see if there are any decent discounts. Mind you, I really have spent a lot of time looking at the PF's.

How did you find the 405s? And where did you get the brackets and bolts from?

Cheers
Martin

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I done them in situ removed the pads and used a rotary file on the lips - i had the spacers made up by a friend and bought the bolts , ideally if using the PF405s i would try and source later calipers - that way you can use spacers provided by PF, they really are to close for comfort, i could not guarantee they would not touch the calipers with track work running some good pads to get them really hot (expand ) i cannot really say what they are like as i never really used them to there full potential - i sold them to seans a member on here think he runs them with rs29s

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Terry. With the spacers you had made, do you think a 1 or 2 mm thick washer would help space the callipers a bit better to take away the clearance concerns? Or perhaps slightly thicker spacers?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Terry. With the spacers you had made, do you think a 1 or 2 mm thick washer would help space the callipers a bit better to take away the clearance concerns? Or perhaps slightly thicker spacers?
The spacers have to be 14or14.5mm cannot remember exactly for the pads to sit on the disc properly, and they sit right on the edge so no room for error, also not all makes of pads are the same i found one make over hung the disc while 2 were fine - Pf do 380 and 390mm disc as well which should be a direct fit , not sure you will see any difference in performance using them - i bought mine from part box and got a great deal think i paid under £900 for the 405mm c/w bells they were listed at £1300 so maybe you could get some for a good price from there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts