GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any member tell me please if they have had a Cobra Trak 5 fitted from other than a HPC , mine is telling me I have to have it fitted with my supplying dealer £1100 as there is a " special loom kit " , the alarm is a bog standard Trak 5 so why are they asking such a high price , any comments welcome .

Thank you as always its much appreciated

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can any member tell me please if they have had a Cobra Trak 5 fitted from other than a HPC , mine is telling me I have to have it fitted with my supplying dealer £1100 as there is a " special loom kit " , the alarm is a bog standard Trak 5 so why are they asking such a high price , any comments welcome .

Thank you as always its much appreciated

i used to end up shelling out a ton on tracker type devices and then realised its easier to go to confused.com or compare the market and just find an insurer who doesnt insist on one

·
Registered
315 Posts
You'll struggle to find an insurer that doesn't require the vehicle to be fitted with it.

I personally bit the bullet and paid £999 inc. Vat and fitting from my dealership.:nervous:

·
Registered
28 Posts
You'll struggle to find an insurer that doesn't require the vehicle to be fitted with it.

I personally bit the bullet and paid £999 inc. Vat and fitting from my dealership.:nervous:
I got insurance with bell (£602 p.a.) and they were one of several who didnt require a tracker.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I got insurance with bell (£602 p.a.) and they were one of several who didnt require a tracker.
Hmmm I stand corrected........ never heard of these guys before though. Have you used them before, any good?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ring Phil at CarExtreme 07974 191518. He offers Cobra Q at £320. He fitted my Autowatch Anti Jack immobiliser and is a Cobra Tracker fitter. He mentioned that the wiring for the cobra tracker was already included in the loom and its just a plug in to the loom at specific points.
Very efficient and knows what he's doing. Why pay a HPC the inflated price they want

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tracker - Navtrak

Took delivery of Gun Metal "black Edition" and have had Nactrak move my ADR 3 system from my M3 into the GTR.
all done for £300...and they transfered my membership over.

Dealers change a hefty premium and only use Cobra systems which in my view are not as good.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I got the tracker Horizon fitted at the dealer before I took delivery. It was £235 fitted and £112 yearly membership. I have no issues so far and the warranty of any parts was not affected.

The supplier was VehTech

·
Registered
315 Posts
:eek:So I got shafted for a grand when it could of cost me in the region of £300-400!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
What was the cost for this unit for installation and ongoing costs ?
I placed the simplytrack unit in my fleet of vans so i paid a monthly fee for all of them combined so i may have go a discount somewhere. I had my GTR fitted on the fleet account. Working it out, a single unit on the lease with access is about £25.00 a month. I have found them to be an excellent company and the engineers know where to 'hide' the unit so any would-be thief would never know he was being tracked until the old bill put a stop to him.

Another good thing i like is the abilty to be able to track the vehicle from anything that has an internet connection so if the unthinkable happens you can be on it with a click of a mouse and direct the police to it.

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
I would never put my pride and joy in the hands of a solely GPS based system.

A GTR will be nicked by pros, not some average joyrider. These guys use this sort of stuff to make your GPS unit useless.

GSM GPS GPRS Tracker Jammer, GSM GPRS Localizer Blocker | TAYX LTD

You'll note that this type of jammer defeats both your GPS unit and the GSM mobile system it uses to report its location.

This is why more and more insurance companies dont require trackers anymore.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
:eek:So I got shafted for a grand when it could of cost me in the region of £300-400!!
Unfortunately, would seem so.
It's a GPS only solution. So can be defeated very easily.

BTW - i take no pleasure in the above, because i was pushed the HPC system and would have been in your shoes. It was only by doing it a bit of digging, emailing one very generous guy on here, and reading some more, that i came to the conclusion VehTech fitting at Tracker Horizon (which has VHF as well as GPS) is the best solution for me.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Seeing as Nissan seem to be using any excuse not to honour the warranty on this car would the fitment of a tracker not approved by Nissan be classed as a breach of warranty? :nervous:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/122795-anybody-having-engine-problems-yet-has-heard.html

Ok its not the same type but it does involve someone messing about with the cars electrics
Okay you'd best stick to the £1000 Cobra effort ;)

Quick tip - ask your HPC who is fitting the Nissan tracker, and ask if they have the skill to fit the Tracker (or any other brand one). If the answer is yes, cool, pick a better/cheaper solution. If the answer is no, do you want them 'messing with your electrics' or someone who fits car tracking solutions for a living ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts