GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that we now have the R35 chit-chat merged and that the relevant thread title is not that descriptive I wanted to highlight everyones attention to this thread:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/122795-anybody-having-engine-problems-yet-has-heard.html

Basically a 2 month-old Euro GTR has blown it's engine and has had the warranty denied, due to a Cobb tune.

Whilst from the description of the problem it seems unlikely that the tuning caused this, it is never-the-less very important that anyone considering tuning their GTR knows that Nissan Europe will deny your warranty and that engine failures are happening. This is now the third known engine failure (the thread relates the story of a Swiss car and German Press car that suffered similar fates).

What I'd love to see is someone offer a tune that included warranty. It is done on Porsches by a number of tuners and it was the prime reason I went to Ruf for mine, as they offered a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think it's pretty true to say If it had been a Porsche, BMW, Mercedes or any other car, the manufacturer would have rejected a warranty claim. The Nissan warranty is about as clear as you can get on this subject. I reckon different wheels and a y pipe are about all you can get away with unless Nissan bring out an "approved" upgrade package.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I don't see how this is a surprise at all. I can't imagine any manufacturer behaving differently.

As for the engine, although it doesn't inspire confidence I suppose it's just one of those things. Hopefully it's a material/manufacturing problem rather than a design issue. Happens to other new cars too (remember the E46 M3?), and it makes a change from hearing about the gearbox.

I can't think of any tuner currently in the market who would offer a warranty. The majority of tuning will be done in the US in any case.

Philip

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not surprised they denied the warranty. It's more to make people aware that engine failures are happening and it's an owner on here.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't think of any tuner currently in the market who would offer a warranty.
Most German Porsche tuners offer a warranty for the complete drivetrain. I had a 2 year engine/drivetrain warranty from Ruf on my 630bhp conversion. I know of many others who offer similar, even on chip-tuning.

If engine/gearbox failures are rare, then the cost of a warranty is small. I'd pay an extra £1k for a Cobb Tune if it came with a warranty for engine/gearbox. If only 1 in 20 or so failed or less, the warranty would pay for itself from the tuner/re-seller!

·
Following EJH#25
6,843 Posts
When Middlehursts upgraded the R33's and R34's there was never a warranty issue!
Perhaps they'll be rolling out a similar offer with the R35?

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
The warranty would have never been needed,if they would just have their engine working without a problem.....but the engine has a failure from a faulty part in the oilsystem....like on many GTR´s in europe.....;)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Most German Porsche tuners offer a warranty for the complete drivetrain. I had a 2 year engine/drivetrain warranty from Ruf on my 630bhp conversion. I know of many others who offer similar, even on chip-tuning.
Yes, but I can't see any of the current GT-R tuners doing it, especially with an unlocked AccessPort.

Philip

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Yes, but I can't see any of the current GT-R tuners doing it, especially with an unlocked AccessPort.

Philip
You can just give a warranty on things you trust......

Im a Lancer Evo Tuner,every Evo which i do has a 1 year warranty of me,why,because i trust my products(and know Mitsubishi has a good quality...),never had any problems,even on very hard pushed cars that do a lot of trackdays.....:chuckle:

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Nismo do a rented ECU upgrade with warranty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was recently told by Middlehursts that Nissan had been kincking off and having the Y pipe changed viod the warrenty, only paint work and glass would be covered after fittting.

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Differant on the 33 and 34 as there were only about 80 of em (not really a UK car apart from them).Anyway I doubt Nissan will cover y- pipe either as you need a re map really after fitting ,you cant go dicking around with a brand new 55 k car and expect Nissan to take it up the ass when it goes wrong .Everyone knows on warranty's that any car firm will try any excuse to get out of paying up on expensive bills ,same as insurance companies .

·
Registered
668 Posts
I was recently told by Middlehursts that Nissan had been kincking off and having the Y pipe changed viod the warrenty, only paint work and glass would be covered after fittting.
Why does this tell me nissan dont have much confidence in the R35?

Next it wil be you cant fart in your R35 without voiding the warranty!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally Posted by Guy
Given that we now have the R35 chit-chat merged and that the relevant thread title is not that descriptive I wanted to highlight everyones attention to this thread:
Or you could simply have asked a mod to change the title.
In all honesty i hadnt seen the thread till it was reposted, and he probably didnt know you can ask to have it retitled, i certainly didnt.......

·
Registered
690 Posts
Middlehurst and the other HPC's (and maybe a bit of help from GTROC) should get hold of Nissan and agree that a y pipe can be fitted without fear of warranty troubles. Most are fitted to sort out the lack of noise, not for power. The power increase is very marginal anyway. Why wait till something goes wrong. We need our HPC's to be a bit more proactive and stop all this nonsense.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts