GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All.
I urgently need to renew 1 of my front suspension struts.Is this something i can do myself without to much stress? Will a 2017 strut fit a 2011 gtr?

·
Vendor
3,185 Posts
The shocker will directly bolt on. They are supposedly valved for each model but I don’t have any other info to prove or disprove that.

The springs rates are different, you can see the id paint, differs between the models.

steering and suspension components should be fitted in pairs, ideally.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that Skint,there are a pair for sale on ebay from a 2017, better buy them both to be on the safe side...just hope they fit my11??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes,passenger side started weeping then got worse over the past year so needs doing soonest.Just need to get clarification that 2017 ones fit 2011,i will do both sides.

·
Vendor
3,185 Posts
They do fit. All the shock bodies throughout the range are the same. They differ internally only, and that will be minimal.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
With the spring rates being different you should really change front and rear to the same year otherwise it could affect the handling balance.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes,passenger side started weeping then got worse over the past year so needs doing soonest.Just need to get clarification that 2017 ones fit 2011,i will do both sides.
They'll fit.
But why not move to coilovers whilst you're at it :cool:

Thinking about it now, if you put MY17 on the front and leave your MY11 on the rear I guess the balance of the car might change.
Stiffer at the rear tends to reduce understeer.

@barry P. will probably be best to chime in about this aspect?

·
Vendor
3,185 Posts
There going to be far more expensive than used std stuff.

If I were splashing out, I would be chatting to Hugh about his tractive offerings, in particular the lift setup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Il be swopping out both front struts for my17,s.I cant believe that if you have 1 faulty front strut that you have to renew all 4 corners,bloody expensive..saying that if the new set up proves twitchy then all 4 will be done...

·
R35 Section manager
11,168 Posts
Il be swopping out both front struts for my17,s.I cant believe that if you have 1 faulty front strut that you have to renew all 4 corners,bloody expensive..saying that if the new set up proves twitchy then all 4 will be done...
If you were replacing like for like all 4 wouldn't need to be done. Its purely as you are fitting a 2017 set up to a 2011 car.

·
Vendor
3,185 Posts
If your swapping steering and suspension components it should be in pairs across the chassis, that’s a like for like component exchange.

Anything other than original parts to the same spec then caution should be taken as it’s not tried and tested or approved. Having said that plenty of people don’t bother and you don’t hear any bad stories.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my mind if i were to change just the leaking front strut and replace it with a new 2011 then that would be the stonger strut as all the others are 10 years old and i could have possible problems but as im replacing both fronts from a 2017 it should be ok.Il be swopping them out over the next week or so and after a long varied drive il let you know the outcome either when i get back or possibly from a hedge....

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the same issue one front strut leaking on a 2011 model, I bought two front struts of a low mileage 2012 model but I still need to fit them. Hopefully I will get round to it next month

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks fairly straight forward.Just take your time and hide your hammer away.....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Swopped out 1 front strut this morning,will do the other 1 at the weekend.
Q, noticed my inner c/v boot looking the worse for wear so i think i will replace them.Anyone know how much grease i should put in them or do i just grease up the c/v joint???. Cheers

·
Vendor
3,185 Posts
Your half way there.

If you see any jobs that need doing it’s best to get on top of them as soon as possible to avoid more damage being left as they are.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts