·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Yes - AVOID!!!

My friend was very very interested and called for the car!

It is on V Car AS A CATEGORY B!!!!!!!!!!

My friend was told that the car has been reshelled - but still has the original VIN tags in place???:nervous:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
That's got to be a typo but even at £10k more it would still be cheap for a 10000 mile car on a 59 plate.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
As above, its CAT B

This is for scrap only, how its on the road I dont know. Its probably worth about £15k as a cat B.

Theres a CAT B for sale elsewhere currently for £18k no takers (not 'repaired')

Legally you are not allowed to return a CAT B chassis to the road.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
As above, its CAT B

This is for scrap only, how its on the road I dont know. Its probably worth about £15k as a cat B.

Apparently there is a way to put them back on the road!!! Maybe a loop-hole or something!

But seeing some damaged CAT B cars - I know I wouldn't ever touch one!!! There is a reason why severely damaged cars are deemed Category B.

·
Registered
571 Posts
As above, its CAT B

Not to disagree with you but I recall this thread over on Driftworks where their own personal MX5 MK3 was a CAT B - raised all sorts of questions / queries at the time, but was eventually and officially cleared as road legal despite the title. It also has a valid MOT / Tax certificate!

Reference for CatB car:
2008 Mazda MX5 2.0l Sport - Rota's - Bucket Seats.

"Regarding it being a Cat B - This is not open for discussion. It is not internet hearsay, it's fact. The car has been VIC checked, and re-registered. We have the V5, we have the MOT certificate, and the car has a new tax disc that runs until 31st Oct 2013. It is insured with Greenlight for £240."

So it would appear that there are ways to get it done, but not being an internet expert in the area I wouldn't be able to say how.. Also seems unlikely the DW team would be in it for a quick buck and misrepresent facts, particularly given their reputation. Although knowing what that dealer would be like, I'm not able to say.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My freind's dad owns a salvage yard and I've always thought CAT B was no returnable to the road, I was wrong. Apparently if it goes to a salvage company then it cannot be returned to the road, if the original keeper retains it then it can.

Thats plain scary.

Car check - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now that the i's have been dotted and t's crossed thats a nice cheap car for someone :runaway:

(that was sarcasm for anyone interested in this car, you would really have to know your car repairs to be able to buy this with any sense, and then good luck selling it on)

If it has chassis damage theres no telling if it even drives like a GTR should.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Ooops! Read this and posted off my phone earlier so missed the bit about it being a salavge job, just noticed the price:chairshot

Maybe not a typo or such a bargain after all.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
LOL LOL LOL I am not gonna say a thing !!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
My freind's dad owns a salvage yard and I've always thought CAT B was no returnable to the road, I was wrong. Apparently if it goes to a salvage company then it cannot be returned to the road, if the original keeper retains it then it can.

Thats plain scary.

Car check - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now that the i's have been dotted and t's crossed thats a nice cheap car for someone :runaway:

(that was sarcasm for anyone interested in this car, you would really have to know your car repairs to be able to buy this with any sense, and then good luck selling it on)

If it has chassis damage theres no telling if it even drives like a GTR should.
I bought a shogun damaged shogun fixed it run it for 7 years had a crash made it cat b they gave me what I paid for it and I kept the car and sold it on so can be done

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
You cant change vins when you reshell you get the vin of the new shell.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
<VRM>LL59GHN</VRM>
<VIN>JN1GANR35U0102449</VIN>
<VRM_Change1>M111GXJ</VRM_Change1>
<VRM_Change2>LL59GHN</VRM_Change2>
<VRM_Change3>PRA511</VRM_Change3>
<StartDateOfCurrentKeeper>2013-07-15</StartDateOfCurrentKeeper>
<VIC_TestDate>2013-08-02</VIC_TestDate>
<VIC_TestResult>PASS</VIC_TestResult>

·
R35 Section manager
10,971 Posts
I guess if you only value your life at £25k go and buy it!

Category B is spares only so just because its been rebuilt does not make it safe

·
R35 Section manager
10,971 Posts
And its painted in matt grey as well-probably Dulux as that's good paint

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
You could see a vin change a mile off if you were looking for it. Its actually illegal to change vins.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Just run the VIN and it comes back to the original vehicle. So no reshell according to the DVLA and VOSA or he's chopped the VINs out.....

·
Registered
571 Posts
At £26k regardless of mileage - if as a cat B, it will surely always be an issue of concern / put off any prospective buyer. (Unless going abroad?)

Whilst use as a track car, possibly already compromised? not a lot extra required to buy another version for that purpose without the scarred history.

Still I'm sure it'll sell to somebody.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
You could see a vin change a mile off if you were looking for it. Its actually illegal to change vins.
Hmmmmm!

I don't agree!!! Being in the motor trade, I have seen a couple of 'shabby/obvious' VIN tampering in my time. As you said, if you are looking for it - it should stand out a miles off!

BUT -

A friend of mine had some sort of letter from the DVLA a few years back about concerns for his VW Golf that he had recently purchased. Upon EXTREMELY close inspection - the VIN tags where cut out and replaced but were done very very well! We only realised the tamper as we were fighting to find something wrong with it!!! Otherwise it would have fooled anyone!

Needless to say - the car was handed over to the Police and impounded in Hampton. Their suspicions were confirmed and the car was returned to the insurance company who had paid out for the loss of this car!

He lost all his money - and the 'Gold' hpi check he had done wasnt worth the paper it was written on!

The car was sold to him privately, with a book pack, service book etc and 2 keys!!!???!!!

Its not always as straight forward. Hence why many people would never buy a high value car privately - Trade Only!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts