GTR Forum banner

Supercar ?

1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Hi,

After a brief discussion on another thread, thought I would ask the R35 owners Only what they think, As I can see it getting silly otherwise.

R35 GT-R Supercar or not? sports tourer? TBH when I didnt own an R35, I called it a grand/sport tourer, then I bought one and adopted supercar.. hey why not lol... BUT as the models 5 years old, we should now know what the car is classed as... officially?

thanks

chron

·
Premium Member
6,280 Posts
In the manuals Nissan refer to it as their Supercar.

For me I would put it in the same bracket as the 911 etc so not Supercar.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Supercar the right mods make it near to hypercar

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It's a supercar for me. Performance of a supercar. Ask yourself this, if it retailed at £125k would it be a supercar?

I'd put 911 turbo/R8/Gtr/mp4/458 in the supercar bracket. Anything more exotic would be a hypercar these days.

Definately a supercar though, a 911 turbo is certainly a supercar.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
lol zzzZzzZZZ

its in the eye of the beholder mate. There is no real definition for supercar so it hard to say.

its an amazing car that's for sure and will spank most cars labeled as supercars.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
i think a vague definition is : an Italian or British made car designed to look good on a poster with the help of their marketing department.

Hyper car: same as above only costing more then 4 times as much.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, going by the wikipedia definition:

A supercar (also known as exotic car) is a very expensive and fast sports car. Supercars are marketed by automakers as unusual and include limited production specials from an "elite" automaker, standard-looking cars modified for power and performance, as well as models that appeal to enthusiasts from smaller manufacturers.

It's probably not, although just GT also doesn't do it justice...

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Well, going by the wikipedia definition:

A supercar (also known as exotic car) is a very expensive and fast sports car. Supercars are marketed by automakers as unusual and include limited production specials from an "elite" automaker, standard-looking cars modified for power and performance, as well as models that appeal to enthusiasts from smaller manufacturers.

It's probably not, although just GT also doesn't do it justice...
they don't define what is considered elite, fast and expensive.

also the fact that the gtr is faster then most does that mean they no longer are supercar's? ..... its all crap....

if its special to you that's all that matters.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
It has supercar performance, but it's not a supercar. The term supercar is used to define a combination of performance, price and exoticness. The GTR only ticking ONE of those boxes.

But, that's what I like about it. It can knock around and embarrass so called supercars, without the w*nky 'look at me' badge, or the silly price tag.

In that sense, I'd call it the thinking man's supercar! :D

·
Ooo Matron !
2,363 Posts
I'd call it a Junior Supercar.

And I'd say I've owned other junior supercars, Esprit V8 and Noble M12. They are just on the edge of being a supercar. I'd not say my Aston was a supercar.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Out of curiosity, would you consider the Nismo GTR or 911 turbo to be a supercar?
As the Nismo is a(n officially) tuned GT-R and the 911 Turbo is a high end 911 I'd say no.

To me a Supercar is the mix of performance, styling, price and branding.
I consider Lambos, Ferraris etc... a true Supercar.
The cars people dream of owning but very few will.

The GT-R is a great car, no question.
But they are relatively affordable, not exotically styled and a Nissan.
You also have to base your decision on the car as it was made.
Quiet, slightly bland interior, bought from a showroom next to a Micra...
Throw enough money at a Lada and you can build an 800bhp monster, doesn't make that a Supercar either.
Hence my comment, Super car, but not Supercar.

Probably the closest I'll ever get to owning a Supercar, but not one.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I think once a car is mass produced (i.e. not made in limited numbers), it's not a supercar.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yes and no, depends how one defines a supercar.

It seems more non-owners see it as a supercar rather than us owners, as seen on AWD group on facebook below.

1 - 20 of 305 Posts