GTR Forum banner

R35 GT-R T-Rex Pro Kit MFD Upgrade (Android/Google maps nav/Ecutek/video/music/radio/torque etc)

41K views 92 replies 29 participants last post by  CSW R35 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, R35 fans,

I joined the recent T-Rex (American) Pro Kit MFD BETA (Supplied for LDH and RHD), as have some other UK owners and well people from all over the USA etc., as my CBA MFD had failed, so it had no sound, no display, and permanent on air con = annoying, and this new kit looks cool, and I can help in the BETA with testing and feedback, so hopefully, they can get the product working well for retail, and will give my CBA non-nav R35, well google maps nav and much more goodies!

Anyhow long story short, the device arrived (cost $1600) installed, T-Rex updated software which so far I have full working air con, stock steering wheel controls work, audio mp3s etc., internet chrome etc., play store apps, plays videos VLC etc., acute app and so on.. some niggles, of course, some feedback/hiss at low sound levels, some software tweaks need doing pst/spa and few other bits, but overall in these early stages it's been impressive, responsive, great screen, nice build and fits decent too.

Anyhow some pics, and I'll update if peeps are interested, as it makes a good upgrade, especially for CBA, and support should be ongoing etc., I'm told by them, which is good...

2008-2016 ONLY
Detailed Specifications
Included Hardware: FM Transmitter, Bluetooth, Capacitive IPS touch screen, built-in GPS, Radio Tuner, MP3 Codecs, Carplay/Android Auto, Canbus adapter configured for Nissan GT-R
Retains all OEM functions of the GTR: Speed sensing wipers, light-sensitive headlights, intelligent door lock, TPMS
Features: Supports 3G/4G/5G Network, iPod/iPhone/Android USB storage integration (play song or video from devices disk), 2.4ghz WiFi, built-in Speaker / Microphone, OEM SWC (steering wheel control) Integration. Full access to Google Play services, including Google Play Store.
CPU: Intel SC9583i, 1.8GHz octa-core 64-bit Intel Airmont architecture
Compatible Digital Media Formats: JPEG, MP3, MP4, WMA
External Memory: Supports USB (2 ports) flash drives and SD card (SD card reader sold separately)
Screen: capacitive IPS Screen
Placement: Car Console
Supports 1080P HD, and 3D background 720x1280 (portrait)
Supports change of boot screen logo
Supports Live Wallpaper & DIY Wallpaper
RCA input for the rearview camera
RCA Input and Output (2 each).
Support Car DVR System (works with optional USB camera)
Supports external microphones and DSPs.
Voltage: 12V
Interface: ISO cable (Plug and Play)
Output Power: 4x50W

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks to be good quality from the photos. Will be interesting to see how you get on with it (reliability etc).
I like the way it reuses the original buttons to give it more of a "stock" look.
It comes with a years warranty, and full support from T-Rex , they are really responsive and helpful so can't fault that.. I'll post updates as it goes along with any new features/fixes etc, I've got an inline filter coming to try and sort the hiss/feedback at low volume, they are trying this also in the usa... added a nav pic too

#4 ·
Looks quite interesting this, Stu - some won't like the change of look, I guess, but if the functionality is spot on that matters most to me.

Can you post a picture of the Google Maps app working, please, as that is one of the things that would be most beneficial to me? Does this route into the in-built GPS module in the car or is there a standalone GPS unit / WiFi hotspot from your phone?

Cheers!

#5 · (Edited)
Looks quite interesting this, Stu - some won't like the change of look, I guess, but if the functionality is spot on that matters most to me.
Can you post a picture of the Google Maps app working, please, as that is one of the things that would be most beneficial to me? Does this route into the in-built GPS module in the car or is there a standalone GPS unit / WiFi hotspot from your phone?
Cheers!
Couple of google maps pictures added bud, TBH i much prefer it already over the CBA stock system, so many options and cool features, like having a tablet basically in your car!! It has its own dedicated GPS plugged in (see picture attached) , i've stuck it behind the unit at the top of the dash, proper stealth out the way and it picks up the nav GPS signal fine.. If i didnt i would have moved it to the pillar. At the moment its hotspot from my phone, which i think most will do, works fine.. But actually today I pulled the trigger on a 'Three' network data SIM, which i'm gonna put in as it has a dedicated on board SIM slot (see picture attached) (plus an extra one on cable ) I didn't want a monthly billeddata sim just for the car! so spotted one by Three called 24 for 24, basically you get 24gb data for 24 months usage, which is ace.. fit and forget and it was only like £44 one off payment, i'll post on that
Once tested.

#7 · (Edited)
mines certainly not laggy and runs fine, spec is 1.8ghz Octa (8) core - 64bit Intel Airmont with 4gb memory, and 64gb onboard drive, unit is specifically made for R35, full steering wheel .
controls, all the standard stuff air con etc.

#24 ·
So, while totally accurate if your dealing with a vendor that's just drop shipping android radios from china (ebay, phoenix, rhyno), we are more akin to a company link Linkswell.

All repairs - paid or warranty will go through my compnay, T-Rex Tech. You also get a 1 year warranty with all purchases 😉

Also, all of our kits run a custom Android ROM developed by myself. It is faster, runs cooler, more responsive, and a slew of other improvements!

#11 · (Edited)
Yes music as normal thru Bose system, as plugs into existing wiring loom, Heres the specs below which might help.. says about RCA

2008-2016 ONLY
Detailed Specifications
Included Hardware: FM Transmitter, Bluetooth, Capacitive IPS touch screen, built-in GPS, Radio Tuner, MP3 Codecs, Carplay/Android Auto, Canbus adapter configured for Nissan GT-R
Retains all OEM functions of the GTR: Speed sensing wipers, light sensitive headlights, intelligent door lock, TPMS
Features: Supports 3G/4G/5G Network, iPod/Iphone/Android usb storage integration (play song or video from devices disk), 2.4ghz WiFi, built-in Speaker / Microphone, OEM SWC (steering wheel control) Integration. Full access to Google Play services, including Google Play Store.
CPU: Intel SC9583i, 1.8GHz octa-core 64-bit Intel Airmont architecture
Compatible Digital Media Formats: JPEG, MP3, MP4, WMA
External Memory: Supports USB (2 ports) flash drives and SD card (SD card reader sold separately)
Screen: capacitive IPS Screen
Placement: Car Console
Supports 1080P HD, and 3D background 720x1280 (portrait)
Supports change of boot screen logo
Supports Live Wallpaper & DIY Wallpaper
RCA input for rearview camera
RCA Input and Output (2 each).
Support Car DVR System (works with optional USB camera)
Supports external microphones and DSP’s.
Voltage: 12V
Interface: ISO cable (Plug and Play)
Output Power: 4x50W

Reactions: 4wdnoob and Simonh
#12 ·
i love the idea of it but i think i need to see it in the flesh as im not totally convinced with the way it sits.

i think i prefer the other one being created that sits where the heater controls are but even that looks a little odd. Id personally be happier with a smaller screen that just sits in the oem location

#13 · (Edited)
i love the idea of it but i think i need to see it in the flesh as im not totally convinced with the way it sits.
i think i prefer the other one being created that sits where the heater controls are but even that looks a little odd. Id personally be happier with a smaller screen that just sits in the oem location
All personal preference of course, personally i prefer the one large screen modern Tesla style, and really like the look of it installed, also where you can have x1 large app on, or x2 split screen etc which is nice... and compared to a CBA stock mfd like i had, when it worked! its way ahead in screen quality/functionality and modern connections/inputs/Nav etc

#16 ·
At the moment its Fahrenheit and PSI or Celsius and KPA , i've fed this back to T-Rex and they are getting a setting for 'as we like it' UK stylee, Celsius and PSI/MPH, that update is being worked on i'm told

#19 ·
Yeah i put that in my original blurb bud, this replaced directly my fooked CBA MFD (black screen / no audio/ air con blasting continuous)

I'm very interested in this. What sort of time frame and price if there are a number of us interested Chronos?
Also, not that I use them, does it display those other screens in the current MDF, such as lap time, Gear efficiency etc. or do you just create your own (does it use Consult)
Well it's still in BETA with T-REX for the next 2-4 weeks i think, don't forget these are still niggles as above, but for me with a fully broke MFD it was a no brainer, but i'd say if you have a working MFD and just fancy an upgrade, wait til retail then get one... just heard that 2015/2016 (with Lightening bolt headlights as stock) R35's have different amp activation via canbus, instead of a wire like the earlier models, i think this affects audio... so they're looking into that was well, but yeah for earlier models it's working so far

Not sure about lap time , gear efficiency... but at the moment it pulls data to my screen from ecutek (bluetooth only, cable doesnt work).. if that helps... (dunno about consult , you'd have to ask T-TREX.. you should join the BETA group and have a nose/read as there are videos / threads etc on FB .. they can still be ordered for $1600 (about £1350) mine took about 5 days to arrive from their factory in China, got stung £25 import as well, cos we left the EU! doh!

#18 ·
I'm very interested in this. What sort of time frame and price if there are a number of us interested Chronos?

Also, not that I use them, does it display those other screens in the current MDF, such as lap time, Gear efficiency etc. or do you just create your own (does it use Consult)

#21 · (Edited)

Reactions: TABZ
#33 ·
This is really cool, just bought a CBA myself and whilst everything is fine (at the moment by all accounts) this is brilliant work which I am now going to follow 😊

I used to use an Infil G4 carPC back in the day on my S14 Silvia so this is quite reminiscent of that for me.

#39 · (Edited)
True its still in development aka BETA, and some cutting IS needed so far to sort the HISS issue, YES we have a fix now! wooop... where-in another piece of hardware needs to be tapped in.. sub £20 as well.. The HISS looked like it wasn't going to be able to be fixed, so i'm quite happy TBH with having to chop a few bits at this stage.. I'll be fitting mine this week once it arrives, x2 other cars already have fitted working, no hiss.
Was a no brainer for me and Stew and the guys in the whatsapp tech group have been brilliant.
Yeah we have a great bunch of people in the newi-ish ProKit UK Whatsapp group, and we have brainstormed, bought, chopped and tweaked to sort issues with* T-Rex staff as well, for the benefit of us owners, and the community as a whole going forward..
It’s not about the looks,it’s getting through all the little niggles they have been experiencing.
The harness is a bit of a mess just now but once they’ve finalised the spec they can tidy that up.
Ive got a eye on it and follow the daily updates and issue resolving.
when it all boils down it’s a £500 head unit from China, it’s the backup and development your paying for, if that comes to an end your stuffed.
See my quote above bud, we have our own UK owners group as well now, which has some tech people in, who get stuck in to try things, and resolve things,.. amazing TBH so far! The Kit itself you get from China for £500? I've seen for £800 anyhow doesn't really matter... comes with basic software and isn't just plug'n'play perfect, and is buggy especially on RHD, plus the annoying Hiss issue with the kit from factory! hense the BETA group+Trex are fixing issues hardware+software, and polishing it which takes time and effort, plus custom software/hardware addons/development from TREX now and going forward .. Support has been very good from them so far...

It's like buying a cheap Ecutek license from China, with Mr.China sending you a map for your car OR buying an Ecutek license from Litchfields with Mr.Litchfield sending you a map for your car, which would cost twice more, but which would you want?? ;)

#38 ·
It’s not about the looks,it’s getting through all the little niggles they have been experiencing.

The harness is a bit of a mess just now but once they’ve finalised the spec they can tidy that up.

Ive got a eye on it and follow the daily updates and issue resolving.

when it all boils down it’s a £500 head unit from China, it’s the backup and development your paying for, if that comes to an end your stuffed.

#41 ·
Did you read anything i wrote in reply to your post? Anyhow, if you're 'Skint' please buy that one and good luck!