GTR Forum banner

R35 GT-R T-Rex Pro Kit MFD Upgrade (Android/Google maps nav/Ecutek/video/music/radio/torque etc)

41K views 92 replies 29 participants last post by  CSW R35 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, R35 fans,

I joined the recent T-Rex (American) Pro Kit MFD BETA (Supplied for LDH and RHD), as have some other UK owners and well people from all over the USA etc., as my CBA MFD had failed, so it had no sound, no display, and permanent on air con = annoying, and this new kit looks cool, and I can help in the BETA with testing and feedback, so hopefully, they can get the product working well for retail, and will give my CBA non-nav R35, well google maps nav and much more goodies!

Anyhow long story short, the device arrived (cost $1600) installed, T-Rex updated software which so far I have full working air con, stock steering wheel controls work, audio mp3s etc., internet chrome etc., play store apps, plays videos VLC etc., acute app and so on.. some niggles, of course, some feedback/hiss at low sound levels, some software tweaks need doing pst/spa and few other bits, but overall in these early stages it's been impressive, responsive, great screen, nice build and fits decent too.

Anyhow some pics, and I'll update if peeps are interested, as it makes a good upgrade, especially for CBA, and support should be ongoing etc., I'm told by them, which is good...

2008-2016 ONLY
Detailed Specifications
Included Hardware: FM Transmitter, Bluetooth, Capacitive IPS touch screen, built-in GPS, Radio Tuner, MP3 Codecs, Carplay/Android Auto, Canbus adapter configured for Nissan GT-R
Retains all OEM functions of the GTR: Speed sensing wipers, light-sensitive headlights, intelligent door lock, TPMS
Features: Supports 3G/4G/5G Network, iPod/iPhone/Android USB storage integration (play song or video from devices disk), 2.4ghz WiFi, built-in Speaker / Microphone, OEM SWC (steering wheel control) Integration. Full access to Google Play services, including Google Play Store.
CPU: Intel SC9583i, 1.8GHz octa-core 64-bit Intel Airmont architecture
Compatible Digital Media Formats: JPEG, MP3, MP4, WMA
External Memory: Supports USB (2 ports) flash drives and SD card (SD card reader sold separately)
Screen: capacitive IPS Screen
Placement: Car Console
Supports 1080P HD, and 3D background 720x1280 (portrait)
Supports change of boot screen logo
Supports Live Wallpaper & DIY Wallpaper
RCA input for the rearview camera
RCA Input and Output (2 each).
Support Car DVR System (works with optional USB camera)
Supports external microphones and DSPs.
Voltage: 12V
Interface: ISO cable (Plug and Play)
Output Power: 4x50W

Attachments

See less See more
#44 ·
update - You're best messaging/ emailing T-RexTech on here about ordering, i think Beta is near end / ended.. i think price is still similar but you'll not get a free reverse camera/shipping

We've (the UK owners) have setup a UK ProKit tech/discuss/help whatsapp chat for us owners (PM me for link if needed) which has proven very useful, as we sort common problems ourselves, and share upgrades UK and install tips and tricks, and have some FAQS now for installs hiss/reverse camera /hardware addons recommendations and it gets updated.. some good technical chaps in there too

The main Hiss issue we have a near full fix for, which needs a bit of hardware sub £20 cutting/splicing into the system, but it really helps and is worth the hassle... other issues speak to Trex about

#45 ·
What value does a whatsapp group have to the long term use of this system? Better to have the data on here as an archived, searchable and Google indexed asset. Otherwise you'll spend the next 3 years answering the same questions on a daily basis.

Reactions: Tariq
#46 ·
TBH it only started as a small whatsapp group, around 10 people for the low amount of UK owners, a few more now but mainly just people curious...as most owners are in the USA... So we could help each other this side of the pond, with the BETA prokit UK spec versions and issues.. The few main hardware issues are more/less ironed out on the BETA versions, TREX will be applying the fixes from factory once retail, so archiving it probs isn't needed as the Beta is ending soon ...the rest is just addons, which owners could post in this thread tbh

#50 ·
I will, very soon, be in a position to supply these kits. I'll be keeping in stock in the UK with all duty's and VAT taken care of with next day delivery in the UK. All setup for the UK cars with RHD. It will soon be out of Beta. A lot of work has gone into this project. Kudos to Adam and the team.

2014+model cars will hopefully soon be catered for. Malaysia no problem. Watch this space.

Andy

#56 ·
Hi all,

Interested in the T-Rex kit, but trying to confirm a couple of items.

Firstly, does anyone know or even better have the T-Rex unit working with the carkitcompany.com reverse camera?

Also, have the recent firmware updates managed to enable compatability for a front camera?

Thanks.

#57 ·
The new firmware was only released a few days ago so it might be worth dropping their support a message to get the most up to date info. They are very good. If you struggle, let me know.

I'm a T-Rex dealer and supply these from stock now - all latest firmware applied and setup for RHD or LHD etc so they come ready to install using the plug and play leads supplied.

#62 ·
Mine is still working fine after 2 years, function is still quick and stable.. tho only way to get dials on screen for monitoring (temps/speed/boost etc) is still thru Ecutek dongle using Ecutek dashboard, which works fine but you have to open ecutek each time to monitor, as long as you have the Ecutek bluetooth dongle which you can use over bluetooth or some prefer via the usb cable to the Prokit usb port cables

There's someone selling a used Version 2 kit (latest) (with camera/4 line convertor for the hiss already setup) in the Prokit whatsapp chat we have (owners chat/support) i could point them your way if wanted, think they want £1100 ono

#63 ·
Hi all, I've got the T-Rex and just wondering if anybody has had any issues with the actual buttons (i.e. all the bits that aren't the touch screen). None of mine work, when it was installed I thought it might be because I hadn't updated the software, they did advise me to get in touch for the software update as soon as it was installed but I didn't get round to it for a while.

By the time I did update, I'd got so used to controlling the fans/heaters via the touch screen that it took me a while to notice the buttons still weren't working.

Just wondering if anybody else has had this issue whilst I wait for their support to get back to me (their support have been really helpful whenever else I've contacted them).

#64 ·
Hi I have just installed a T Rex pro in my car and I like the appearance of the unit however struggling to make it work fully with all the car controls.
I have an issue with the microphone. If I call someone on the phone they can hardly hear me. I have tried both internal and the best external mic I could buy !
I am unable to wear my polarised sunglasses as the screen goes "dark" Can anybody share there experiences ?
The radio is very poor, bad reception. Have installed digital radio app to get better reception but will not work as easily as stock radio
Most of the T Rex pro apps not fully functional. Is this exclusive to my UK unit.
Let me know

#65 ·
I think you just have to accept that the phone won't work with it! Mine's the same, I have seen a fix online where someone said the Mic is facing the passenger side and so they popped the plastic cover off (where the lights and sunglasses holder is) and then cut it a bit and switch the mic to face the driver) they said results were much better but to be honest I've got used to just using speakerphone if it's urgent or calling someone back when I've finished driving.

#67 ·
Hi guys. The car I'm buying has a failed screen and the dealer hasn't been able to get Nissan to fix it. The dealer has offered to get one of these T-rex systems to replace the faulty unit.

Any up to date feedback on how well it works ?

Does it do everything the original system does ? As in if I do get it fitted (well, I've no choice really) will I be missing out on anything?

I know nothing about what all gets controlled/displayed via the screen so just looking some reassurance it's not going to dissapoint me, as I'm buying from across the water so won't be easy to chase up any issues.

#68 ·
Hi guys. The car I'm buying has a failed screen and the dealer hasn't been able to get Nissan to fix it. The dealer has offered to get one of these T-rex systems to replace the faulty unit.

Any up to date feedback on how well it works ?

Does it do everything the original system does ? As in if I do get it fitted (well, I've no choice really) will I be missing out on anything?

I know nothing about what all gets controlled/displayed via the screen so just looking some reassurance it's not going to dissapoint me, as I'm buying from across the water so won't be easy to chase up any issues.
Hi
By across the water do you mean Atlantic? I’ve got a screen from when I had the t-Rex installed, you’d have to check that it works by just putting it in (and not another issue on the car) the screen I have works fine, as I said it was just taken off to replace with t-Rex. But it’s for a RHD

#70 ·
I’ve had my T Rex a couple of years, phone never worked on it but not a major issue for me. It’s had a couple of hiccups when the temp controls stop working but a full reset by disconnecting the car battery for 15 mins solves it. My car is an 09 so previously I had no nav but I’ve now got waze and google maps so that is a bonus. My music is loaded on a usb stick but I’m not convinced sound quality is as good as the original system.Another plus is I’ve now got a reversing camera using the system. Litchfields are now selling and installing the system so it is probably worth visiting them as they have probably seen and sorted all the issues

#71 ·
There's not really much I "need" in the system but I still want to be able to anything it's meant to do. Mines an 09 and they think it's a nav unit (and why its not coding properly) but I'm used to using my phone in a holder as satnav, and would like Bluetooth streaming/hands free but for all I'd use it it's not a deal breaker.

I have read on here that the OEM stuff is prone to failure, so theres nothing to say this wasn't coming my way anyway. But I'm just a bit miffed that the "unmodified" car I've bought is now having to get a big Android screen.
Again, I'm not overly concerned about the appearance, I think it looks OK. Just hope it's not a pain in the ass every time I get into the car, and that I don't miss out on all the wee gauges that scream GTR to me.

#73 ·
Its been at Nissan for two weeks and had a couple of different units tried with no joy. I'm kinda already at my limit on how long it's taken to get the car delivered to me so the T-REX seems to be the easiest fix
without going through another session of trial and error.

#79 ·
I was thinking the same but my only worry with that is, they already tried a few different units and they wouldn't code in either so there's nothing to say a DBA unit wouldn't code either.
I'm only going by what they're telling me, hopefully the guy mentioned above will know more about what my options are.

#82 ·
So car finally arrived. I've alot to get my head around with the car itself, but hopefully someone can answer a few questions regarding the T-rex.

In the glovebox there's a couple of usb leads. I've stuck a USB card reader in loaded with music and it's working great. The other lead already has a "t-rex" branded memory stick in it. What's it for ?

Couldn't get the Bluetooth phonecall to work (everything OK but I couldn't hear anything).

I bought an Ecutek dongle and couldn't get it to "find" it using the ECUTEK app ?

Lastly, the background noise (hiss) is pretty annoying but I assume there's no fix yet ?

#90 ·
So car finally arrived. I've alot to get my head around with the car itself, but hopefully someone can answer a few questions regarding the T-rex.

In the glovebox there's a couple of usb leads. I've stuck a USB card reader in loaded with music and it's working great. The other lead already has a "t-rex" branded memory stick in it. What's it for ?

Couldn't get the Bluetooth phonecall to work (everything OK but I couldn't hear anything).

I bought an Ecutek dongle and couldn't get it to "find" it using the ECUTEK app ?

Lastly, the background noise (hiss) is pretty annoying but I assume there's no fix yet ?

I purchased a T-Rex and it had endless problems. Support was not very good either. My advice is get your money back and look at the Nifty City screens. No hissing, the phone works, and you get all the OEM gauges plus loads more features. Small things like the music continuing after a phone call, excellent back up camera screen etc Support are very responsive too. T-Rex is outdated in comparison.