GTR Forum banner

In terms of insurance for trackdays and similar events.......

• I don't bother

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • I have track/event cover as part of my road policy

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I buy an individual event policy for the full value of the car

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I buy an individual event policy for part of the car's value

Votes: 2 5.3%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have taken your R35 to a trackday, airfield, drag or private road event, what do you do about insurance?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you have taken your R35 to a trackday, airfield, drag or private road event, what do you do about insurance?
IMHO, and through experience of 100's of trackdays, several VMAX's etc, in the UK (since 1994, when insurance wasn't avaialble), I think it's a bad idea to take out insurance for two reasons;

a) takes the fun out it
b) breeds too much confidence; if you drive a circuit like a twat, don't know racing lines, overtake where you please etc, then 'allegedly' you don't get penalised if you fall off.

For a) you pay nowt, and for b) for god knows how much premium, but if you go into tyrewall outbraking yourself, and a marshall witnesses it, I reckon you're goosed on insurance (they'll find a way).

If you're rear-ended on a nice corner where they outbraked into your arse, does it cover you? If it wasn't witnessed - question to ask...?

I've always found 'generally' good etiquette on UK circuits, in my mind due to pepes not thinking they're insured and covered for being stupid....

Spa, Hockenheim and the 'Ring it's the same principle, but those around you are as mad as a bunch of frogs, spot the difference......

1/4 mile not so sure I've seen insurance for this; if you grenade your engine/box through launching would they pay out?

Never have, never will for the above reasons :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Richard Egger for me... includes four fully comp. insured track days (£3K excess on £60K mota) provided event is with recognised track day organisers, including GTROC.

It seemed like a good idea to me. I'm a novice, only do a handful of track-days and know I can loose it by being a doofus, especially at the end of the day when you actually think you've got the hang of it! Doh!!

Totally agree with Andy though, learn the lines, drive sensibly, look out for and give way to faster drivers promptly, keep an escape route for spinners, don't treat insurance as a licence to drive like a fool and in my experience all goes well and you're left with the feeling, was the insurance really worth it? I've rarely seen accidents at organised events, but have to say I particularly respect Cadwell Park !!! Some tracks are more "off" friendly than others. I often start my short "season" with a trip to Bedford, just to get me eye/hand in.

I suppose it comes down to competence and confidence. Wish I had No Fear but I'm a woos when it come down to it - comes down to lack of ability, the car has more talent than me... enough practice and one day maybe that'll change... I live in hope!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Novice

Never been on a trackday with my own vehicle so Brands will be the first. I would like to think i will be ok on the day but i can't afford to gamble with a 50k car when there are others involved around the track. Don't no what to expect at Brands and will probably think afterwards there was no need for concern but i will be enquiring how much it will cost for the day and then see.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Brands is not the easiest from a novice viewpoint, especially if wet - get the insurance for this one is my advice.

D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree on Brands deffo @ novice ^^^

However I would request precise details on what's covered and what's not, particularly as being snakes by nature, the idea is not to pay out....

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
Number 4 for me, but cant vote for some reason

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree. I cant afford a track day in my GTR when all the inspections etc are taken into account. Good luck though to everyone else who tracks their car. Id hire one if I was going on a track - I bet it works out cheaper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts