GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok seams to be a massive drag emphasis on this forum with the r35 but and this is my opinion and its just an opinion I have no interest in dragging the r35 what so ever.. pretty sure when Nissan spent 10s of millions on making it one of the fastest cars on the nurburg they did not plan on most owners uprating the engine and gearbox putting it in auto and flooring it in a straight line...
Also pretty sure drag died in Japan's tuning scene in the late 90s all from what I have seen from the tuners demos r35s nearly all are fast road or track focused!!

So this is a thread for the track enthusiast to show there updates over the stock suspension set up coilovers, spring rates ,suspension arms,anti roll bars and experience with track tyres etc
Questions I have...

Info from Anyone trying the gtc Coilover kit or there front adjustable camber arms?

Also anyone using bc coilovers yet? They have now a 2 way damper on the market..

Has any track day addicts gone back to an 18" wheel to improve the handling further..?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Ok seams to be a massive drag emphasis on this forum with the r35 but and this is my opinion and its just an opinion I have no interest in dragging the r35 what so ever.. pretty sure when Nissan spent 10s of millions on making it one of the fastest cars on the nurburg they did not plan on must owners uprating the engine and gearbox putting it in auto and flooring it in a straight line...
Also pretty sure drag died in Japan's tuning scene in the late 90s all from what I have seen from the tuners demos r35s nearly all are fast road or track focused!!

So this is a thread for the track enthusiast to show there updates over the stock suspension set up coilovers, spring rates ,suspension arms,anti roll bars and experience with track tyres etc
Questions I have...

Info from Anyone trying the gtc Coilover kit or there front adjustable camber arms?

Also anyone using bc coilovers yet? They have now a 2 way damper on the market..

Has any track day addicts gone back to an 18" wheel to improve the handling further..?
I would have thought an 18" wheel will compromise your brake disc choices and give you too tall a sidewall to preserve the handling balance.

I think in order to "improve" the handling, you would need to have an issue in the first place - i.e. what is it you don't like or think is wrong about the handling now, on a circuit that is?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have thought an 18" wheel will compromise your brake disc choices and give you too tall a sidewall to preserve the handling balance.

I think in order to "improve" the handling, you would need to have an issue in the first place - i.e. what is it you don't like or think is wrong about the handling now, on a circuit that is?

Well just seeing what channels people have taken so far as i see alot of coilover kits being fitted it would be nice to have some feed back

tyre side wall on maybe a road tyre yes on a slick or r888 i would say it no issue from the height unless it was massively over sized

really just seeing if any members have gone that way with the 18s
yes i have seen the 400mm does not fit under volk te37sl :(

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Unfortunately I'm only at a very early stage of modding so can't really comment. However, from being an avid reader on here it would appear that the current trend for trackway addicts is to go down the Litchfield Suspension route.

The forums very own David Yu has just done a write up on it in his months Evo mag and Dickie Meaden does a timed run in both standard and modded setups. Worth a read mate.

Can't say I've read about anyone, on here at least, swapping to 18's for track work.

Looking forward to reading people's replies on the question as its all good knowledge for the modding bug later on lol.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I don't know if its just me but I've always been so reluctant to modify a cars suspension, my thinking is that something like the GTR was so highly developed that I am very reluctant to make changes where as I look at the engine and think they left plenty on the shelf to be exploited, now in saying that something like the litchfield kit does look to have both the development and testing behind it to genuinely be an upgrade.

I'll have to grab a copy of EVO to read on the timed comparison as I often think after you make a mod you think or convince yourself that it's better but in reality you may have made the car worse!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see litchfield is total damper revamp with what i would think is higher bump and rebound pressure to help with a higher spring rate

I'm a race driver but My back ground is from high end single seaters British f3 euro f3000 a1gp etc I'm also a driver coach but I work for manufactures Ferrari Europe Maserati Europe and Vxr uk as well as Throxton and prodrive full time race school day instructor,so I will have time to test most of the set up changes after work :)

Keep the updates coming guys as you develop your cars the more info the better!!!

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
In for the updates as I'm considering 18s for the track, running semi slicks or slicks. Couple of issues is heat being trapped and caliper to wheel cleareance is less than the minimum recommended by brembo. So if you get a stone trapped, it will make a mess.

However I have noticed that alcon do a 380mm replacement disc as well. CCW also make some good wheels that clear the standard brakes.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
We have been working on the R35 GTR with our MeisterR version coilovers.

We will be looking at releasing a single way adjustable coilovers in the future that are design and build in the UK.
2 / 3 way are possible and is something we can do, but we want to work this one step at a time.

But most of this product is in the design stage at the moment.

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Plenty of people in the States switched to 18" track wheels, but it's more for a wider choice of tyres and getting them at a cheaper cost rather than an outright improvement in grip.

Litchfield kit is one of the best developed allrounders out there. It massively improves the car's road behaviour. Better track handling as proven by my colleague Dickie's laptimes, but that is more of a side benefit, not its main goal.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok well the car currently has bc coilovers the owner only fitted them after his trusted tuner told him they where a massive improvement over the standard suspension

i did buy the car with all stock parts but when the old owner went to collect them from the tuners garage said his mechanic had stole them??? are tuners still getting away with stupid shit like this??

anyway i'm looking for a set of coilovers i will do a session at throxton on the bc to see what £600 ebay specials can do

Meister-R,Hsd and stance are all made by HD systems in korea if i'm not mistaken they are a good quality budget coilover but as with the bc i would not fit them to an r35

currently looking at
nitron 3 way
kw ver 3(spring rates look a little soft)
hks hiper max 3 or 4

and maybe some gtc front top camber arms!!

if anyone has any of the above let me know what your experience is!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going to allow the previous owner to put his side of the story up first

Spl look good I'll email them.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
I don't know if its just me but I've always been so reluctant to modify a cars suspension, my thinking is that something like the GTR was so highly developed that I am very reluctant to make changes where as I look at the engine and think they left plenty on the shelf to be exploited, now in saying that something like the litchfield kit does look to have both the development and testing behind it to genuinely be an upgrade.

I'll have to grab a copy of EVO to read on the timed comparison as I often think after you make a mod you think or convince yourself that it's better but in reality you may have made the car worse!
Why do you think Nissan are adjusting the suspension set up with each new model year, jump to the MY 18 set up now with the litchfield kit.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Meister-R,Hsd and stance are all made by HD systems in korea if i'm not mistaken they are a good quality budget coilover but as with the bc i would not fit them to an r35

Just thought I note that MeisterR isn't made by HD system.
And also we have our owns damper valving specification... and sometime we have bespoke physical specification depending on the cars and so on.

Just because the coilovers look similar on the outside, it doesn't mean it is the same on the inside. :)

The standard R35 suspension are very good, but it is a bit harsh mainly due to the damper valving design from Bilstein.
We are looking into way of bringing an ecomincal improvement to the community.

But as usual, we will not release a product until it is ready and we are happy with all aspect of the product.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so who makes them where are they made and what uk company is product testing them?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts