GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the GT-R since last Thursday and can echo pretty much the same as everyone else as to how special this car is.

After doing the usual of jumping in, getting very confused over the options/controls, jumping out, reading the manual ;) and then giving it a go, I've pretty much sorted everything to my liking.

As you can guess from the title, the one thing I can't get sorted are hill starts.

I went out last night and tried every option I could think of with the gearbox settings, manual mode, auto mode etc etc to no avail.

On every Hill start I depress the accelerator and nothing happens for a while (perhaps) a second or so and then "wham", it sets off so violently it nearly snaps my neck off. If I roll to a stop and set off straight away it doesn't do this - I'm guessing because it's still engaged.

If I roll to a stop and leave it a few seconds (like traffic lights), even if I leave it in gear (i.e. not Neutral) it still pauses and then sets off rapid.

Anyone else got this or know of a way around it? Perhaps it's just technique so if some of you seasoned GT-R owners know the answer please let me know!

Thanks in advance,

Ian

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sorry, i live in the netherlands, we don't do hills :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep got the exact same problem as you describe it, both 1st gear and reverse. it almost hits 3000 rpm before dropping into gear and breaking your neck! i mentioned it at optimisation at middlehurst and its still the same. will have to go back again because it feels awful!

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Did you have the handbrake on or not?

Just that I noticed the other day (at 4800 miles!) that the gearbox creep seemed to be different if I had the handbrake on, to when it was off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to use the handbrake or i would end up shunting the girlfriends car through the front door!! Had a situation in france this weekend where i was stook at a set of lights and had to save it with the brake from bumping the car behind. Do you think it is related to oil pressure dropping on gradients or something else?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Could be you just need the clutch settings changed.

There is some leeway but I dont know how much they affect the amount of creep.

If I had that much of an issue I would be straight down to my HPC and have them change the settings until I was happy.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
the brakes engage to stop you rolling backwards automatically

I rev then take my foot off, back on the gas. it stops some of the lurch

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you keep it in D ?

coz you have to if you want to activate hill assist.

Keep it in D

You brake on the "hill" and keep braking.

When you let go, you have 2 seconds to gently accelerate.

Like this, my GTR start smoothly.

I was having troubles for the first few miles too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you keep it in D ?

coz you have to if you want to activate hill assist.

Keep it in D

You brake on the "hill" and keep braking.

When you let go, you have 2 seconds to gently accelerate.

Like this, my GTR start smoothly.

I was having troubles for the first few miles too.
Yup - did it again this morning since there's a set of traffic lights on a hill on my journey to work.

Come upto the queue for the Traffix lights, Gearbox is in Manual and then drops to first gear as the car comes to a halt. Leave the gearbox in manual i.e. change nothing, wait until the lights change - approx 10 seconds. Put foot down slowly, nothing, nothing and woosh, neck snap...

It's getting really annoying...

·
Registered
300 Posts
i think the timing is important. You have to give it a second to engage transmission when you put your foot off the brakes.

Other thing : maybe it is depending on how steep the hill is.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sounds like you need to find a quiet hill and have a few practise starts.

It has been mentioned on a few threads over the last months so it's not only you that's struggling.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like you need to find a quiet hill and have a few practise starts.

It has been mentioned on a few threads over the last months so it's not only you that's struggling.
Found a quiet hill on an industrial estate and practised it a number of times.

Best I can get is to hold it on the handbrake, get it to engage and then release. Does'nt feel right compared to a normal car.

Mine seems to grab, release again on it's own for a split second (even though I've not let go the accelerator) and then grab again before setting off i.e. lumpy.

Hill start assist is super smooth by comparison. It's just when I have to queue at traffic lights for over the 2/3 second timeout, I get into problems.

Spoke to the ever helpful and patient Gary at Middlehursts. He said it's not typical and the gearbox has to be run-in and then checked like everyting else so not to worry about it and they'll take a look at the Optimisation.

So I'll live with it for now and just clock off the 1,000 miles...

Many thanks for all the replys chaps - at least I know I'm not being a numpty!

Ian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts