GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done anything with the sounds in their R35?

I realise a lot of you haven't turned yours on, but i have and don't think it's that great. My 335D (now that i've fitted the L7 tweeters) is better.

Obviously the car is loud in terms or road/engine noise, but its lack punch in the bass and a good front sound stage in my humble opinion.

So looking for ideas of what people have done while keeping the car a standard looking as possible. i.e not filling the boot full of capacitors, amps and subs etc.

Ta in advance.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I listened to the BOSE in the R35 and wasn't impressed at all - one of the reasons I saved some money and bought a standard edition, thats a lot of v-power and runflats!

Before the GTR I had a E90 335d with Logic7 (sub under each front seat!) which was pretty amazing - an audio guy on another car forum I mod on reckons you'd have to spend about 2k to match the BMW system which was a £800 option.

I'm going to take mine into Sextons London (they did my Golf R32 a few years ago) on Saturday morning so they can see whats possible for a stealthy upgrade, ie just replacing existing components and putting nothing in the boot...

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I listened to the BOSE in the R35 and wasn't impressed at all - one of the reasons I saved some money and bought a standard edition, thats a lot of v-power and runflats!

Before the GTR I had a E90 335d with Logic7 (sub under each front seat!) which was pretty amazing - an audio guy on another car forum I mod on reckons you'd have to spend about 2k to match the BMW system which was a £800 option.
L7 system is very good. But the SWS 8, L7 tweeter and THA 555 system is even better ;) I was going down that route and then the GTR arrived and it's taken a back seat :) I don't have a garage so fitting it is a cold experience in Glasgow.

I'm going to take mine into Sextons London (they did my Golf R32 a few years ago) on Saturday morning so they can see whats possible for a stealthy upgrade, ie just replacing existing components and putting nothing in the boot...
Cool!
If you could let us know what they say, i'd be most appreciative. That's exactly the look i'm going for.

Ta

Ian

·
Registered
376 Posts
:D Aftenroon, I'm back from those nice chaps at Sextons in Wandsworth who had a good poke around the GTR to see what was possible.

Mines a standard edition so no BOSE, and after a good play with all the settings the verdict was that is wasn't a disaster but there was a whole lot that could be done to improve it.

I want to keep the headunit/screen stock so that means sorting out the signal thats comging from the headunit - if you amplify rubbish you just get more rubbish.

They have suggested a Audison Bit One. Looks like a very clever bit of kit and setting all the EQ levels from the laptop is slick.

Importantly it has the added advantage of adding a couple of aux inputs for the all important iphone/ipod audio input. The install would include a iPod adaptor (dension I think) and cradle.

"Bit One is a signal digital processor essential to maximize the acoustic performance of your Car Audio system.
It consists of a 32 bit DSP processor and 24 bit AD and DA converters.
What makes it a unique device is that it provides the ability to de-equalize car factory systems equipped with
integrated audio processor, to enhance and improve any car audio factory system.
It features 10 PRE Amp Level signal inputs, 8 Speaker Level signal inputs, an optical and electrical S/PDIF digital
input as well as a PHONE IN input allowing the use of cellular phones hands-free kits.
It provides 8 outputs both at a pre-amplified and a digital level.
A 32 band equalizer, an electronic crossover and a digital delay are available for each channel.
To perform the different possible adjustments a connection with a PC is required."

Now we should have a decent signal its time to pick an amp - Alpine PDX-5:

- 5-channel car amplifier
- 75 watts RMS x 4 + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 or 2 ohms

Regarding the bass - they want to see what the stock sub/enclosure will do when its got a decent quality/powered signal before trying to change them but thats an available option.

The front component mid+tweeter will need to be changed and some deadening put in the doors to avoid 'rattle city' but at the same time I don't want to add half a ton to the car. Suggested route here is a pair of JL Audio C5-650's.

They you 'just' need to add calbing + installation and hey presto you should have a great sounding system. I said at the outset it needs to be seriously better than the stock or Bose factory options to make it a worthwhile outlay.

The down side....about £2,200 before negotiation - however, if it sounds as good as its supposed to and adds the ipod link - which given the woeful bit rate the MusicBox rips at seems like a must then it could be a go-er.....

Opinions/Suggestion much appreciated! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Bazza - appreciate the write up.

Do you have a y-pipe?

Did they hear the car while driving?

I ask because the bose sound system in traffic/my drive sounds not too bad, it's just that it doesn't project the best soundstage (are those actually tweeter in the front pillar!) or have punchy bass, which becomes more apparent to me when at 60/70ish on the motorway. So i was wondering what sort of sound isolation they'd look at.

FWIW- I'm using Leftfield's Leftism in particular "Open Up" and Metallica's "Sad But True" from CD to evaluate.

I take it you have a non-sat nav car?

·
Registered
376 Posts
no worries, am really missing not having my iphone music available much more than I thought I would so its pretty high on my 'things to do' list - just need to investigate my piggybank!

They did listen to it running and at revs to it but not up at those speeds - not in and around Wandsworth anyway - but good point about the y-pipe as I've not had that fitted yet (next weekend hopefully).

I usually use N-Sync "pop" (don't laugh!) as it has punchy bass and a good range of mid and vocals. Then for bass Timewarp by Sub Focus or anything from Chase and Status works well!

Yes its a non-nav UK car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just had a call from Audio Advice and my car is going in Monday to get Parking Sensors, Anti-jack and hopefully cameras, fitted. So i'll get it back Thursday with an idea of what they can do for me.

As i have a USB slot, i'm not sure i'd need the Bit One, but i'll go in open minded and see what they say.
The Golf they have has £75k in it, so i'm sure i'm in good hands in term of fabrication and design, so hoping they can do something about the subs in the GTR.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I think a speaker upgrade would be a good start....

both the bose and standard are awful

its fitting them without messing the car around to much

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't know anything about ICE, but I thought BOSE was a well respected brand? Why is the sound system so average, particularly given that it's the primary reason for the increased cost between Standard and Premium/Black?

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Bose is a well respected brand but clearly corners have been cut on the installation on the GTR. Whoever signed this install off should be shot especially as this forms the bulk of the "upgrade" from base. Quite honestly the sound quality is the worst I have heard in a new 25K+ car for a long time. My Lexus totally blows it away. I actually wonder if there is a problem with the amp its so bad at times...

Paul

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
am really missing not having my iphone music available :thumbsup:
how about a griffin autopilot fm job

mine works a treat;
- track controls at your fingertips ( using the dash 12v socket)
- tracks / artist labels on the MFD

not perfect but pretty much there

·
Registered
634 Posts
I must be lucky as my Bose sounds really nice,much better than the Bose in my 997 911.

It is not the loudest but I thought it sounded good as did a lot of the people that have commented on it in the car.

I listen to garage, drum n base and hip hop as well as a bit of rock.

Sounds ok to me.

Kp

·
Registered
140 Posts
I may be Reading the wring threads but have noticed a huge amount of unhappyness and general moaning on this forum?? Truly the Bose system is great in my car although iPod connection is an issue, the car is pretty amazing overall just enjoy :0)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I agree that there is too much moaning going on!
However, I too was disappointed with the sound system.
I have a Black edition with Nav, and something is lacking with the Bose.
My Wife's Volvo S40 stock sound system is much better.
Maybe there is an undiagnosed problem with our cars? Faulty batch of amps?

·
Registered
535 Posts
By no means an expert just someone over the years that has done quite a bit of DIY ICE upgrades ....mostly speakers and Amps on quite a few motors ive owned :)

Im impressed with my Bose set up ....I think its quality and i certainly dont want to or feel the need to meddle with it ... I guess weve all owned different levels / standards of ICE Standard or Otherwise ... :D

Some will want to body kit the R35 whereas i just Love it So So much in its standard form ..... Its good people like to meddle though :thumbsup:

CJ

1 - 20 of 37 Posts