GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of upgrading my injectors coilpacks and afms to r35 gtr , I have nismo injectors and afms currently and like to know if it would it be a good upgrade or a waste of time & just get mine cleaned instead ?

will I need to remap my ecu if I go r35 injectors and coilpacks ?

I have a nismo r1 ecu and I presume if I go r35 mafs I’ll definitely need to change my ecu ?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Heya.
OK many things to answer...
firstly yep they could be better for you - the 35 injectors have a better spray pattern that allows for a better fuel-air mix.
You'll need a kit for them which comes with fitting adapters etc but these are pretty easy to find.
Having said this, whether they're right for you depends on how much power you're making - which you haven't stated, give us some more info mate!

Next up, changing coil packs should in theory just work but you'll need an adapter plate, available from most online parts retailers.

Changing to R35 MAF's seems very redundant - my thoughts here are either leave them alone or get rid of them all together as per below.

Lastly I'd be changing that ECU regardless as it seems like you're wanting more out of your vehicle and the in house and non-programable ecu's struggle
with more advanced modifications. Some new stand-alone ECU's will also move you away from the awful Air Flow Meters too - highly recommended.

So having said this, why are you wanting to do this? What's your end goal?
If you're shooting for a mild tune of around 400-500hp then yep, go for it but there are better ways to get there and if you're wanting more (show me a v-spec
owner who doesn't) then the 35's injectors may be a bit on the light side for higher HP.
Think about where you want to end up and build towards that...
You should also check out the injector options from Injector Dynamics and companies like Splitfire and Plasma Direct for coils.
The Injector Dynamics and Plasma Direct gear are in constant development (with the US market opening up to RB's demand for upgrade parts is on the rise!)
and are generally brand new tech, when compared to the 35's now 15 year old gear, with guys like HP academy recommending them over R35 conversion.

Whichever way you go - find a tuner or auto-shop in your area who has a good rep with these old girls and start the conversation. If you're asking these
sorts of questions then you're likely not going to be doing the work yourself (like me!!) which means having a clear end goal (what's the final power levels
of your dream R34?) and building towards that. It'll save you time, money and heartache! The amount of money i wasted doing temporary things is awful!

Hope this helps mate, good luck! :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I’m thinking of upgrading my injectors coilpacks and afms to r35 gtr , I have nismo injectors and afms currently and like to know if it would it be a good upgrade or a waste of time & just get mine cleaned instead ?

will I need to remap my ecu if I go r35 injectors and coilpacks ?

I have a nismo r1 ecu and I presume if I go r35 mafs I’ll definitely need to change my ecu ?
Nismo injectors are the old style so an R35 injector will be an improvement. If you are not going for more power than what the Nismo R1 turbos can deliver (which should be paired with your R1 ECU tune) then the R35 injectors will work great.

R35 GTR MAF is an improvement in accuracy over the old Nismo MAFs which I believe are basically modified Z32 MAFs.

If you change the injectors or the MAF you will need to retune the ECU to suit. Nismo chipped ECUs will likely have epoxy over the Hitachi H8/534 chip so you'll need a different ECU to remap.

My personal opinion is that you should always keep MAF for street cars if you keep ITBs. MAFless tunes on the RB26 use a blend of speed density and alpha-N. There's nothing wrong with speed density, it works great and is faster reacting than a MAF. However on ITBs you don't have to open the throttle very far before the MAP sensor saturates. The non-linearity requires blending alpha-N. Alpha-N is just never going to be accurate in all conditions. MAF can get very close, but transient throttle mapping may be a little difficult.

Personally I would pass on Injector Dynamics. Their injectors are good for what they are but in these cars the narrow pencil beam spray goes straight into the intake valve dividers and causes excessive wall wetting which complicates transient throttle tuning. I would rather send them out to an injector servicer for full characterization like dead time vs voltage, dead time vs pressure, flow rate vs voltage, flow rate vs pressure, etc...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply’s guys appreciated .

id like to keep my car the way it is and am not chasing horsepower figures as it’s a r tune and would also like to keep the nismo r1 ecu twith the theme with the car .

The ecu is not programmable so I will have to stick with my injectors and get them cleaned however I’ve also been told I may not need a ecu remap if I go for just injectors and coilpacks
the R35 injectors are 570 and my nismo injectors are flowing 550:unsure:

the injector kit I’m looking at is

I know the nismo R2 runs the 35 injectors and coilpacks and it’s the only difference I can see between it & the nismo R1 engine wise .
Seems I’ll just have to get r35 coilpacks and stick with my R34 injectors and mafs .

bugger .

·
Registered
197 Posts
As above - many have gone through what you're now looking at.
I get where you're coming from in wanting to keep the car in R1 spec BUT this is where you need to make a choice;
Either leave it completely as is OR start down the path of making it your own by tuning it how you want.

The problem i have with the Nissan tuning specs is that they're perfectly fine for the time these vehicles were new...
20 years ago.
Tech has well moved on from there, point in case, my BNR has fuel system and piping mods yet with a retune (on a
Link ECU) it makes more power, on less boost, than the factory 10psi (mine's selectable 9psi low, 15psi high).

These are just my thoughts - I'm in the process of modernizing my own car but that's my own choice :)
Good luck and feel free to bounce ideas around here if you need!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
197 Posts
Question: What makes you think you'd need to?
I only ask as i had an issue where my MFD showed the injectors working at 100% at times when giving it the welly.
Turned out that the fault wasn't the injectors, it was the fuel pump not keeping up with demand.

Just something to think about. :)
Injector cleaner generally won't hurt though, just try to use the whole tank before letting the vehicle sit for a while.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a slight misfire low revs I think...comes and goes . I’m thinking it may improve acceleration at low revs plus with the injectors being years old they might be clogged up .
Have changed oils filters spark plugs had engine health check done so may as well .

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the reply’s guys appreciated .

id like to keep my car the way it is and am not chasing horsepower figures as it’s a r tune and would also like to keep the nismo r1 ecu twith the theme with the car .

The ecu is not programmable so I will have to stick with my injectors and get them cleaned however I’ve also been told I may not need a ecu remap if I go for just injectors and coilpacks
the R35 injectors are 570 and my nismo injectors are flowing 550:unsure:

the injector kit I’m looking at is

I know the nismo R2 runs the 35 injectors and coilpacks and it’s the only difference I can see between it & the nismo R1 engine wise .
Seems I’ll just have to get r35 coilpacks and stick with my R34 injectors and mafs .

bugger .
The R35 coilpacks will help with misfire issues and will drop in without ECU remap needed.

If you need to clean your injectors don't use injector fuel in a tank. Good fuel will have PEA which should be cleaning your injectors already, as far as injector cleaner in a tank goes. A proper injector cleaning will require the injectors to be removed.

If you want to actually improve low RPM acceleration you want a VCAM kit. Being able to adjust valve timing helps tremendously with spooling the turbo. If you want to do that you should just bite the bullet and go with a Haltech Elite 2500 to run the injectors + MAFs that you want as well. In theory you could reverse engineer the ECU map by data logging and then faking parameters such as coolant temperature to figure out what the cold start enrichment parameters look like.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yup looks good, though my preference would be a Link G4+ - love mine - though from what the OP was saying a V-Cam wouldn't be in his wheelhouse as he's wanting to stick with the R1 tune :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys .

Yeah sticking with the ECU I have
Won’t bother with the injector cleaner in the tank will send them off to a company to test and clean .

my ABS light is on , had it checked few months back from a pal of mine using a wire and I think he said it was showing rear wheel sensor fault .
Taking it to the garage this week to confirm but might this affect acceleration at low revs ? Slight hesitation I have sometimes .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes I’ll be changing coilpacks to 35 ones .

regarding the AFMs as I’ve conflicting information and been told the 35 mafs will work instead of nismo mafs without a remap of the ecu .

By putting an OEM size housing (internal ID same as my 34 ) for the 35 mafs the air flow will be the same and the ecu will be picking up the same signal as before .

or is this wrong ?

·
Registered
179 Posts

Looks like the Nismo MAF is like the Z32 MAF but a little more linear. I doubt the R35 MAF is going to have the same curve even if the top flow point is about the same. You have to figure out what the R35 flow calibration is vs a Nismo MAF. If it's within 1-3% for the entire curve it'll probably be fine but if it isn't you will have problems.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Looks like the Nismo MAF is like the Z32 MAF but a little more linear. I doubt the R35 MAF is going to have the same curve even if the top flow point is about the same. You have to figure out what the R35 flow calibration is vs a Nismo MAF. If it's within 1-3% for the entire curve it'll probably be fine but if it isn't you will have problems.
thanks a lot .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts