Your Age : 48
No Claims Bonus : 6 years
Points on licence : 0 points
Claims in last 3 years : 0
Year of Car : Quoted for 2010
Modifications on Policy: none
The Quote :£1616.52
Postcode: CH44

Been with Admiral on-off for over a decade. Dunno why I got bummed.

Quote sent to Keith Richards, awaiting response.

Regards.

·
Registered
562 Posts
First post for me.

Dumped my W12 in Aug.

Looking for a GTR this week, my first quote with last insurer;

Insurance Company : Admiral

Regards.
Ouch - Admiral have been pretty good on GTR's over the last couple of years. Not sure what happened here. I have a modified 2017 track edition and my premium last year was nearer £700 in Birmingham on similar details to yours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ouch - Admiral have been pretty good on GTR's over the last couple of years. Not sure what happened here. I have a modified 2017 track edition and my premium last year was nearer £700 in Birmingham on similar details to yours.
Its not like I'm new to cars either, had NSX, V8 Beemers, Scooby, and so on.

They can look back over 20yrs and see no accidents / claims.

Bewildered.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,400 Posts
That seems very excessive to me. I've also a 2010 car, declared at 600bhp, 25 years ncd (which isn't really of course), 4 years older than you, and I'm paying £301 (+IPT) with Admiral and I don't live that far from you (south Wirral).

·
R35 Section manager
11,305 Posts
A friend of mine with sports cars recommends LV Insurance. Hes been with them a few years now with no issues. I've just renewed my insurance but will try them next year for sure.

·
Registered
562 Posts
First post for me.

Dumped my W12 in Aug.

Looking for a GTR this week, my first quote with last insurer;

Insurance Company : Admiral

Regards.
The Forum has plenty of suggestions for brokers that hopefully will get you a better quote. A comparison site is also worth a go and then get a quote direct from the best insurer if you have the time. Sometimes that is cheaper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Forum has plenty of suggestions for brokers that hopefully will get you a better quote. A comparison site is also worth a go and then get a quote direct from the best insurer if you have the time. Sometimes that is cheaper.
Just now - Adrian Flux 2296.00 ....

Feedback from companies seems to be nobody wants to be the '1st years insurance' on a newly-owned-vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Admiral are very hit and miss in my experience. Used to have all my cars insured with them but one by one they've been moved to other insurers, now only two left with them. Wouldn't insure a GT-R with stage 4 as ECU had been remapped, despite what they say on their online quote system. Spoke to underwriters and they wouldn't do it. Others seem to be OK with them, no probs, no hassle. Shame really, as they are alright as insurers go but just random with what they will/won't insure and quotes. Luckily, other insurers are now much more competitive on multi-car policies.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,400 Posts
I did have an odd one with Admiral several years ago. I had my previous Noble insured with them, then I changed to an Aston Martin Vantage after about 6 months into the Noble policy. Say the Nob was £600, they wanted an extra £600 for the remaining 6 months if I changed to the Aston. I was a bit stuffed, so I paid it and never bothered the next year. Then I tried them again the following year and they were by far the cheapest. And then I changed part way (maybe a month or 2 ) from the AM to my GT-R and the price to change was not that much. And since then they have kept on coming down.

I don't know if passing 50 makes any difference ?

·
Ooo Matron !
2,400 Posts
Just now - Adrian Flux 2296.00 ....

Feedback from companies seems to be nobody wants to be the '1st years insurance' on a newly-owned-vehicle.
A mate of mine lives where you are, he's a Lotus Esprit and a Maserati Ghibli and he pays similar sort of amount for each as I pay for my GT-R.

BTW - If Flux offer to put you in touch with their "partners" on no account say yes. I got fooled by that stunt several years ago now and as I result I'd never go near them again for a quote.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks to y'all for the thoughts and experiences conveyed...

ODDLY... I got better quotes from the usual suspects. I even got 1,044 from my OWN (recent) insurer, whereby they gave me 1616 over the phone. Flabbered me ghaster.

So I'm down to so 900 quid, right where I had hoped (expected, rather), to be.

Now to narrow-in on the choice of car. The Mrs. thinks I'm spending 10k on a car this week, ha ha. You and I here know better.

Its a toss up between a lower-end-priced car (expected to be high 20s / low 30s), or dumping said-amount as a deposit on financing a brand new Recaro version. Which still leaves me on the hook for an outstanding 50 to 60k with interest.

So I'm 60/40 to just 'losing' the 30, and having no risk.

I'll chip away at that quote again tomorrow, I need a break from a day of 'insurance surfing'...

EDIT: missing image attached.

·
R35 Section manager
11,305 Posts
Thanks to y'all for the thoughts and experiences conveyed...

ODDLY... I got better quotes from the usual suspects. I even got 1,044 from my OWN (recent) insurer, whereby they gave me 1616 over the phone. Flabbered me ghaster.

So I'm down to so 900 quid, right where I had hoped (expected, rather), to be.

Now to narrow-in on the choice of car. The Mrs. thinks I'm spending 10k on a car this week, ha ha. You and I here know better.

Its a toss up between a lower-end-priced car (expected to be high 20s / low 30s), or dumping said-amount as a deposit on financing a brand new Recaro version. Which still leaves me on the hook for an outstanding 50 to 60k with interest.

So I'm 60/40 to just 'losing' the 30, and having no risk.

I'll chip away at that quote again tomorrow, I need a break from a day of 'insurance surfing'...

View attachment 266698
EDIT: missing image attached.

Give the company above a try my mate suggested. He has some decent cars and swears by them.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,400 Posts
I'm surprised at the Admiral Little Box - that's for younglings that have to have a black box fitted. Are you sure you are 48 ? 😃

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm surprised at the Admiral Little Box - that's for younglings that have to have a black box fitted. Are you sure you are 48 ? 😃
I didn't request a quote with a litttle box. They just gave it.

I'd rather self-harm than have a box put on any car of mine.

Incidentally, I got an email from one of the companies offering 803... so we are headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I’m 10 years plus younger than yourself. Mine was. £500 fc on a 2014 for many years , gone up a little due to latest model year value

insurance Is a dark art

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m 10 years plus younger than yourself. Mine was. £500 fc on a 2014 for many years , gone up a little due to latest model year value

insurance Is a dark art
I would say I am in a medium-crime post code, yet its nothing compared to L8 etc... and I have a garage, 6yrs ncb, working, etc. So phuck knows what is going on.

·
Ooo Matron !
2,400 Posts
I didn't request a quote with a litttle box. They just gave it.
No, I'm sure you didn't.

I ran my details through Compare The Market as well just to see if they offered me the little box and they didn't. It just seemed odd that they offered it to you since it's aimed at new or young drivers.

181 - 200 of 211 Posts