GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound stupid, like seriously what's the point and I'm mad. So I'm not looking for those kind of comments, although feel free you've a right to an opinion. What I'm looking for are genuine problematic situations that will or could arise if I were to do it.

My exhaust tips are always black. To keep them in a permanent state of clean, I'm looking at the possibility of cutting a hole in the bottom of the back pipe just before the tips, and welding a 45 degree down pipe for the exhaust fumes to escape. So no more exhaust fumes would pass through the tips.

I don't track the car, it's completely standard and my ***8216;spirited' drives last all of 20 seconds if that.

Can you foresee any issues that may arise?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Any gas or fluid will take the path of least resistance so your idea will be limited by the diameter of pipe you can attach. Other than that the only other issues would be the available clearance to the undertrays and whether there would be enough airflow to prevent heat damage to surrounding parts and possible entry of exhaust fumes into the boot and rear of the car.

Why not buy a cheap OEM rear section (loads around) do the mod and see how it goes?

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
What works for me and I'm really anal when it comes to mint cars is polish the shite out of them once with Autosol paste and just keep a damp microfiber cloth in a plastic bag in your boot and just give them a quick 10second wipe inside out..... Job done

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
orrrrrrrrr - just accept they run rich and go black within 20mins of driving? lol
I personally dont like polished look anyway...
but each to their own...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your feedback.

To address some of your comments:

The diameter of the downpipe will be the same as the one I cut into.

Buying a second hand one and modifying it first to see how it works is a great idea. Thanks.

Polishing then wiping all the time is what I***8217;m currently doing.

Painting them black still has the problem of them changing from satin/gloss black to mat black as soon as the exhaust dirties them.

Again thanks for your advise guys, much appreciated. If I go ahead with the experiment I***8217;ll photograph and document everything for you all, to see how it went.

·
Registered
596 Posts
What works for me and I'm really anal when it comes to mint cars is polish the shite out of them once with Autosol paste and just keep a damp microfiber cloth in a plastic bag in your boot and just give them a quick 10second wipe inside out..... Job done
Same.

Tip I saw on a detailing vid, autosol then wax with wheel wax/paste.

Apparently has higher temp qualities so lasts longer. Not sure of the science of that tbh, but makes cleaning them a piece of piss

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
You could consider fitting a flex fuel system and running your car on E85, no black soot to worry about once that's done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts