GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Ive been running around on the new Toyo R888 tyres for a couple of weeks now - what a difference they make to the car. Im running 285/35/20's front and rear ( also have some 315's for the rear to try ).

Running the slighly wider tyre on the front has made the car turn in a bit easier but overall its reduced some of the understeer ( I still have normal road geometry ) and increased the grip substantially.

Ive been messing around with the traction control buttons ( I normally only drive mine in R mode everyday ) but for those that use the normal setting, the result of using the tyre with the increased grip is quite obviously as you would expect, the traction control doesnt interfere as much.

Also the ABS system doesnt cut-in anywhere near as much as a result of the increase in traction.

As usual with the R888 you get road noise from them which is noticable and unless you are a complete wally, they are fine in the wet too apart from deep standing water.

Im not sure if anyone else has experience of using them yet in the UK, we have them as we have a bunch of them to evaluate for Toyo UK here at Sumo, they will be available for purchase shortly, obviously when they are we will be selling/installing them of course.

Anyway the point of posting up was to say that the tyre issues will be solved shortly - the R888 is really good on the car... :)

So far I've only been running them on the road with vigor however shortly we'll be doing some comparision testing at Brands with some on-track feedback from the tyres as well as a load of other upgrades we have been busy working on.

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Jan are you on your second set already? :confused:

I ran them as an everyday/track tyre on my Z06, but have read mixed reviews from the States. Basically nobody has managed to get them to go faster than the Dunlops (but both are faster than the Bridgestones).

The key point will be price I think. If they are the same price or less than the Bridgestones, then there will be a lot of takers. If they're as much as the Dunlops, I think a lot of people will stick with the Dunlops.

Very keen to see UK pricing and whether the car performs better still with the 315s on the back!

·
Registered
211 Posts
David You are right. This is my second set, now comming with wheels also. And also right that I'm not faster with them. But I still think I should be faster with them. So I gave them another chance :)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I have the same wheels/tyres here for my GTR as Kislik,im sure they are faster as they offer far more soft rubber....more rubber on the street,more grip,if you setup the car right:D

Just putting them on will not help with laptimes...thats for sure:smokin:

·
Registered
486 Posts
I ran them on a 996 gt3 for a few years and loved them as a track tyre.
Great on the road in the dry too, but the wear rate was appalling meaning they need to be cheap.
They were far cheaper than MPSC or PCorsas in the 285/18 sizes so many people bought them. I got nearly twice as many track days out of a set of Corsas for only 40% more cost

As David says, unless the cost is significantly cheaper, no one will buy them.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I ran them on a 996 gt3 for a few years and loved them as a track tyre.
Great on the road in the dry too, but the wear rate was appalling meaning they need to be cheap.
They were far cheaper than MPSC or PCorsas in the 285/18 sizes so many people bought them. I got nearly twice as many track days out of a set of Corsas for only 40% more cost

As David says, unless the cost is significantly cheaper, no one will buy them.

Yes, I would like to see some prices for the Uk and also I concur with peterpeter as they come with less tread rubber as do most of these legal "track day" tyres.

Also guys, watch out as Mr health and safety Goverment man wants to ban the so called road legal slick tyre.:(

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
what kind of life expectancy are we looking at here compared to the Dunlops and the Bridgestones?

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
All depends on how you use them, road, track, spirited driving etc

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the same wheels/tyres here for my GTR as Kislik,im sure they are faster as they offer far more soft rubber....more rubber on the street,more grip,if you setup the car right:D

Just putting them on will not help with laptimes...thats for sure:smokin:
You have the same? holly shit I got two sets for me and my friend and I found that one other GTR in Czech will have them. And now You??

I'm going to sell them and buy something more unique :D

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Can I have first dabs pls !!!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Comparisons

Hi,

My car had Dunlops installed from new, the difference between these is significant in handling and grip from the OEM tyre without any doubt. I dont see how you couldnt be quicker on a circuit with them installed over the OEM's considering the performance on the road - I have not tried this yet so I have no comparision worth mentioning on the circuit but I will shortly in a back to back test.

Also - they are not run-flats so if you puncture one its a call to the AA but having experience of having flat R888's in the past they will get you out of trouble if you are very careful but its still a consideration for 'normal' users on the street if that kind of thing is a 'plus' for you - i.e. having runflats :)

Andy :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
So kislike ... how much for the wheels lol ?

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
hehe same here, check out my new wheels :)
Want a preview of mine.....allready in my workshop :chuckle:

Just need to get my GTR back from KW Suspensions after some slight changes to the setup :thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Alex, we got 2 here one matte black set for my friend and formula silver for me. Now I need to change them as they are too common :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts