GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't jump down my throat but.....

Went out for a test drive in a black edition this afternoon and I'm afraid to say i wasn't that impressed. the car's built very well, solid, materials in the cockpit were very nice and the cars very well specced. the look of the car is beautiful and the stance is very very correct its just when i took it out it felt a little soulless. admittedly its extremely fast and i got to triple figures very quickly its just there was no kind of theatre or excitement when doing so. i understand that there are not many cars on the road that have this kind of pace but when doing big numbers i expect to feel like im doing so and it just didn't....unfortunately it just didn't do it for me...cant understand what I'm missing.....i was planning on taking the plunge and buying one but after todays test drive im having second thoughts.

to make a comparison it felt like an extremely fast luxury saloon car...rapid but very composed and almost too smooth for my liking!!

i've been in plenty of fast cars and have owned a fair few and expected the 35 to of been top of the pile but the experience left me feeling a little neutral...neither loving or disliking it.

another issue i had was with the ergonomics of the car. the layout of the dash was not the best and the switch gear was dare i say it slightly cheap looking.

I'm sure there are loads of you that will disagree and shoot me down but believe me i didn't want to feel like this after today:confused::confused:

i dont know whether i need to take it out again for a longer run and really put it through it's paces. i went out for about 45 mins today on dual carriages and tighter back roads and it ate them up no problem but i still came out numb.

i'm starting to have second thoughts about a 997 turbo again!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Quite simply, you need to go out with an owner...

If I had only had gone for a test drive with an HPC I would have agreed with you.

Being fortunate enough to also own a Noble, I like cars to have soul. Luckily, another Noble owner had bought a GTR and took me out for a drive, the experience was TOTALLY different from that of the test drive. I have never been in a car quite like it... it had me utterly convinced.

So convinced, my GTR arrives in a week on Monday! Damn the days are going slowly!

Definately give it another go.

Elliott

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can understand where you're coming from because I had exactly the same experience when I test drove the 997 Turbo......but then I'm used to the RS.

I borrowed the GTR for a day from my HPC and I too didn't feel anything major towards it. I bought one all the same mainly because I know plenty of guys that rave about it.

I have owned mine 3 weeks now and it's only just starting to make sense. It is a truely epic car and you have to drive it plenty to become at one with it and to appreciate what it's all about.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Strange...my GTR scares the sh*t out of me every day i drive it.....:D

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i can fit my kid in the back, 2 sets of golf bags in the trunk plus a week's worth of baggage. and with all that in there i can still have the ride of my life and hang with ANY supercar out there. definitely horses for courses. if i did not have a kid though, i'd have my deposits down on the 458 and the new mclaren.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well I will agree with you on that! I know what you mean by having no soul and I too felt the same. The reason why I bought it was because of what it can do for the price that it does it at, thats what dols it for me. I'm hoping like someone already that after a while driving it that you get more of a "feel" to it, but if it doesnt, its still a winner in what it can do.

I put my deposit down before even having a test drive, so the reviews were enough to convince me to go for it. I have/will have other cars that will give me the x factor should I want it if this car doesnt provide me with enough of the x factor.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I sort of know where you are coming from as I came out of a 997 C2S into my GTR. The drama is not in the car but how you drive it - I was one of the lucky ones that got to drive the GTR at the Nissan day at Silverstone.

Driving it on the track lets you experience the car in its true state. I am not saying the GTR is a pure track toy as it is far from it but I remember driving one on a test drive and thinking "I am sure it was better than this". I said this to the guy from my HPC who was on the test drive with me and he responded with "turn left at the next round about". As soon as we were out on the twisty back roads I remembered the driver at the test day saying "throw the car into the corner and floor it" then the drama came flooding back.

The car is like nothing I have ever driven and the 997TT has nothing in common with the GTR other than they are both extremely fast. The GTR feels alive like it is waiting for you to tell it what to do next - on a fast flowing road I have not driven another car that gives me such a rush.

I agree with all the comments about go out with a GTR driver who has had his for a while - the magic is in the driving experience!!!!

Kp

·
Registered
98 Posts
My first drive was at the Nurbergring F1 track. I thought the car had no soul and while i did lap it very fast, it just didnt get me, I was regretting ordering one at that point.
Second was the HPC demo, had it for an afternoon and was glad to give it back, same opinion. BTW the interior switch gear is top notch IMO, nothing at all cheap about the inside.
Took delivery 1st June 2009. Within a few days and many miles I was getting into it, and by week two was really enjoying it, the following 3 months over the summer were excellent.
12,000 miles later I have to say that the car has felt very natural and like part of me since week 2. I had extreme confidence from week 2 (about 1000 miles) and now the car feels like home as much as any car, or more so, that i have ever driven.

The GTR is VERY different from others, and i am so glad I stuck with it, as initially i was going to sell it on. Now the car feels faster than it ever was by quite a bit. I noticed the engine free up @ 3.3k, 5k, and then again @ 10K, and thats coming from a driver that gets bored easy and has something even more powerful in the garage.

It would be a leap of faith for you, but for me I was very surprised of how i took to a car I initially hated, but i put that down to it just being so different to anything else.

At least the engine is in the correct end of it and it doesnt plot to kill me all night in the garage lol.

·
Registered
315 Posts
At least the engine is in the correct end of it and it doesnt plot to kill me all night in the garage lol.
:chuckle:

Fozi!! Just get one, in the long run you won't regret it!! All you have to do is sod the warranty, get a Cobbs AP, actuators, downpipes and a GTC titan fitted and I bet you'll then change your mind!! It'll be a totally different experience!! The whole HPC test drive experience doesn't do the car any justice. When I went my test drive in the GTR it only had 230 miles on the clock and obviously I couldn't drive it nearly as rapidly as I wanted to........ but still bought one all the same!! Haven't looked back since:smokin:

Trav

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
Funnily enough I do sort of agree with you. The standard car with the standard exhaust completely lacks drama and is more impressive than exciting.

Its limits are so high, you will seldom exceed them and hence it can feel as if it lacks drama.

But that is why most of us have changed at least the Y-pipe which makes it sound more like a supercar should and of course that starts the slippery slope to more power...

Now with nearly 600hp, my car can exceed its grip limits whenever I choose and is fantastic, exhilarating fun as well as being much, much faster than almost any hypercar you choose to mention!

All it takes is an exhaust change (y-pipe minimum) and a Cobb with custom tune to have more fun than you would believe possible.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's a lovely bit of kit though

Only thing that puts me off...it's auto
It is a shame there is no manual version. I understand why - the designers/engineers wanted to create a really cutting-edge, advanced, 21st century ballistic missile and a gear stick probably seemed anachronistic to the whole concept. I still think it would work with a manual box, however - shame it will never be given one.

Strange reading all this. My first test drive (not an HPC to be fair but with Howard Wise in the back telling me to go for it :D ) was such a complete blast that I loved the car immediately - standard or not. I think the difference is that unlike most of you I have never owned a true performance car before. After a Fiat Coupe Turbo or an Accord Type-R the GTR is like visiting another planet.

·
6,821 Posts
It's a lovely bit of kit though

Only thing that puts me off...it's auto
Exactly and to put this in to perspectif:

I drove a 370Z with the manual "throttle thing" with a full amuse exhaust piping and a Sakura manifold . . . . Z34 and R35 with mods sound the same, with the difference that you can never play the opera out of the R35 engine as well as with the 370Z manual box and clutch.
Just to give one more exemple: I drove the 370Z through crowded Nagoya and all time had to stop and go. That was a delight as each time I moved on I gave as much input to the engine sound as I liked . . . the R35 would just move on for ever in auto , never reving up more then 3000rpms (or you need to drive in first gear all the time.)

Performance wise of course the R35 does everthing better then the R33 and R34 (comparing heavy wales here:D ). . . . thought do I doupt it can out excite an R32 GTR with 700HP, 1400kg and welded chassis. Which brings us to the point we can clearly compare excitement and different car characters within the GTR brand.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
A recent statistic is that only 30% of new drivers in Japan are taking licences for manual cars. This is why a lot of Japanese sports cars are losing the manual box. Shame, but Autos are now so fast at changing gears, they do it better than humans in many ways...

Although it was very quick & obviously supremely capable, when I spent a day driving one in the mountains with DCD the major stumbling block with the GT-R for me was definitely the gearbox.. Maybe I'm old fashioned. I enjoy heel & toe, etc. Paddles just don't give me the same driving enjoyment.

Most importantly it's great to see so many people enjoying their GT-R's with a passion. I just hope with engine changes under warranty in Europe, etc. and the strong value of the Yen, etc. Nissan continues marketting GT-R's worldwide for many years to come despite the odds. It's sad to see they can be written off for relatively small accidents as parts prices in UK are so high.
I sometimes wonder how residuals will fare in the long term.

For the price an R35 GT-R is difficult if not impossible to beat as a complete package. But for 55K I'd prefer to get myself a Caterham R500 and a Jap Spec FD2 Civic Type R to run about in...

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
This thread is such a put off for me, I have driven the car before and it does sort of lack the excitement in a way nevertheless I have not pushed it to its limits so don't know how that will feel. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go for a Murcielago LP640. Took one for a test drive with HR Owen and gotta say what a beast. Although it is not mannual, somehow it does feel really exciting and gives you the goosebumps. Only thing is it costs nearly 3 times as much.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This thread is such a put off for me, I have driven the car before and it does sort of lack the excitement in a way nevertheless I have not pushed it to its limits so don't know how that will feel. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go for a Murcielago LP640. Took one for a test drive with HR Owen and gotta say what a beast. Although it is not mannual, somehow it does feel really exciting and gives you the goosebumps. Only thing is it costs nearly 3 times as much.
I don't see how or why these cars would be comparable.

You either want a Lambo type car or you need a fast road car capable of shopping and school runs

Seems a strange post.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't see how or why these cars would be comparable.

You either want a Lambo type car or you need a fast road car capable of shopping and school runs

Seems a strange post.
Strange post agreed, but not for the reason you say. I was looking for a fast, fun, weekend only car and the GTR figured on the list along with a Gallardo (2006 car), GT3, Noble and other 2 seaters. Just coz it has the potential to be a practical everyday car doesn't mean we all want it for that reason. It's also fast and fun.

That's not why it was a strange post - the fact the other car the guy bought costs over £150,000 is what's strange :) Hardly fair to compare them in the first place.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts