GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now we have an established ownerbase, it's time to compile a "myths and popular misconceptions" thread. To help cut through all the bull shit

it needs to be written by someone who cares and breifly cover each topic before linking to a relevant thread

so, explaining the actual VDC Situation

dismissing worries of bottom end failure at high speed

explaining the 11k repair bill etc

all the way down to getting a non sat nab car to do things it shouldn't

Any volunteers?

Mook

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
If I had the time Mook, I'd happily do it, idf only for my own sanity!

Sadly time is short for me at the moment, so I can only help by writing some tech stuff for whoever volunteers...!

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
If my english would be good enough,i would do so,Mook.

Sadly it takes too much time to write in english and even then there are a lot of mistakes:D

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I'm happy to give it a go. Might need some support from the relevant guys.
Have spent far to much time on all the forums since 2005, so have seen a lot of Internet myth.

Cheers

Paul

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Good man Paul...

Maybe start with a list of subjects?

·
Banned
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as an outsider i would suggest these to start

chocolate gearboxes

VDC

rusty bottoms

cobb/y-pipe vs. warranty

crap tyres

track day warranty

ipod on non-sat nav

wheel colours on models

import vs. euro spec

2009 vs. 2010 euro spec

thats just as an outsider though...

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I can see this job growing and would like to accent the positive where possible...It could turn into a full blown R35FAQ - if that is what is actually required. I think a list of priorities will be required

A few more I have thought of:

Nissan Bulletins and Recalls
Transmission oil temperatures and change interval
2 - 1 Downshift delay
Depreciation
Parts Prices
Service pricing
Brake noise
Disc and Pad life
Lap times
Brochures and manuals

Fuggles, any comments on this?

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
104 Posts
fair play paul, hopefully we can get away from all this school playground name calling and s+++e that has come across on alot of threads lately

·
Registered
438 Posts
as an outsider i would suggest these to start

• chocolate gearboxes
  • VDC
  • rusty bottoms
  • cobb/y-pipe vs. warranty
  • crap tyres
  • track day warranty
  • ipod on non-sat nav
  • wheel colours on models
  • import vs. euro spec
  • 2009 vs. 2010 euro spec

thats just as an outsider though...
Never realised my fantastic car was this bad.

In all seriousness the first 6 problems listed aren't for me. Clearly, they are for others.

Be interesting what the KNOWLEDGE will eventually real like though.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Paul.

Think youre right about putting a positive spin on this section. To most of the know issues there is a fix or at least the comfort of "they all do that!"

Presumably it will become a sticky and wont be the place to air view and gripes, or all the relevant stuff will get lost.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Paul.

Think youre right about putting a positive spin on this section. To most of the know issues there is a fix or at least the comfort of "they all do that!"

Presumably it will become a sticky and wont be the place to air view and gripes, or all the relevant stuff will get lost.
I agree with the closed / sticky thread. Otherwise people will never buy this brilliant car - with all the negative comments around.

·
Banned
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whilst I appreciate the input, what I wanted to create first and foremost was a thread that dispelled all the rumours and myths

it's all good and well saying keep it positive but I think we also need things like

"I've heard euro gtrs are prone to oil starvation, is this true?". With a response explaining a very small number of early cars suffered from oil pick up issue but Nissan are aware ... Yada yada"

so people who may have heard a rumour about an 11k repair or gearboxes failing and we have a single thread to put thirt minds at rest

despite listing negative things, it will dispel them one by one, leaving the rest of the forum to focus on the positives

This could be part of or including an FAQ but my intention derived from a few recent "i heard they aren't reliable" threads

mook

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
OK I have tried to summarise the facts on the bottom end issue:

Comments are welcome :

Engine failure (with Cobb AP) after 315km/h on the autobahn, on the first batch of LHD European cars.

Initial Warranty claim is rejected as ECU mods would void the warranty..

Failure of the Crankshaft Bearings due to under lubrication becomes a known issue on early cars in Germany and Belgium. Exact reason for this unknown at this time.

New engine and turbos replaced free of charge under warranty but after legal action and some time.

There has not been a single failure in the UK

No recall in the public domain and Nissan announcement pending….

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is one english engine failure (JDM car thou) As the guy who's car it was then bought my car old R35 GTR to replace the void..

His broken engine was stripped and the oil pick was found to be blocked .Thus Causing oil starvation resulting in the crank blowing out of the side if the block.
The blockage on the pick up pipe was found to be factory sealant the same that is used round the sump it's self.

One can only surmise the hand built engine builder was having a bad day and miss judged the amount of sealant need.
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts