GTR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I need some advice?!
I have a Black Edition, Black R35, which I have had for a few weeks now. I have had the optimisation done but I have had the car cleaned by a fella we have used for years twice now and the amount of defects in the paint we have spotted are scary. There are blemishes and scratches all over the place and some of the scratches even look like they are "inside" the paint, if that makes sense....the quality is appalling.
I spoke to Marshalls in Cambridge regarding one of the blemishes and they literally tossed it off as "bird lime" damage. Well I can assure you that since I have had it there hasn't been any Bird crap on it whatsoever.
Anyone know what my options are on this? Do I make a fuss, do I have to live with it, do I get it re-sprayed!!

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Maybe worthwhile getting your detailer to write a report and submitting to your HPC and Nissan.

KevinSmart (i think that's his username) is doing something similar or was.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I have a Black Black Edition. 850 miles on the clock. 5 Stone chips so far, and countless blemishes. In direct sunlight, the whole car appears to have spent several days in a mechanical car wash. And because it is black, I have a lovely orange peel effect too. Not happy with the paint.

The paint appears to be quite soft, and easily damaged. Not sure what to do.
I think it would be a good thing for any and all of us who are not happy with the paint on our cars to compile a list detailing:

Colour, mileage, blemishes/damage

When we have all the information together in one place, then hit all 10 HPC's with it. In writing, personally. That way, for example, my cars "problems" will be qualified as a production fault by all the other vehicles in the list. We may find that vehicles of the same colour suffer the same issues, not found on vehicles of another colour.

I for one am stating that the finish on my 3 week old £60k "anytime, anywhere" car is absolute garbage.

I think that the HPC's should pay for a same colour respray in the hardest, nastiest, environment destroying, nuclear proof paint that currently exists in the known universe. Nissan, you have cut the wrong corner! Dopey!! :)

And another thing, Porsche may be slightly slower, but they dont rattle and bang and whine all the time. What's that about? My GTO twin turbo could live with my GTR, anytime and anywhere. It owes me about £8k, and I built it myself, and I'm an idiot! You've got real people working on it for you!

Wow! I feel so much better now. I still love her. The bitch! :)

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
the noises arn't that bad, all the older GTR cars made noises, to design out this in a 200mph car (minor tweaking needed to get there) you would have less of a car in other areas ie a porker....

JDM paint is not the hardest, you will need to be carful or it will swirl etc. Porkers get stone chips as well, often they are resprayed before resale

I have purchased a new second hand front bumber which actually has a better colour match than the original (£700) from Japan. no new stone chips since :)

some of what you are moaning about is the JDM think, the gearbox noises reduce around 8K miles, not sure if that helps or not

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
the noises arn't that bad, all the older GTR cars made noises, to design out this in a 200mph car (minor tweaking needed to get there) you would have less of a car in other areas ie a porker....

JDM paint is not the hardest, you will need to be carful or it will swirl etc. Porkers get stone chips as well, often they are resprayed before resale

I have purchased a new second hand front bumber which actually has a better colour match than the original (£700) from Japan. no new stone chips since :)

some of what you are moaning about is the JDM think, the gearbox noises reduce around 8K miles, not sure if that helps or not
JDM? What's that?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Japanese Domestic Market.
Does that mean an import? Coz mine is a UK car.
I dont mind the noise. I'm usually distracted by the rate at which the trees
are moving anyway. Its just that when I test drove a Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (which had a couple of turbos) it was a very solid vehicle. The rattles and other noises dont instill a quality feeling.

Dont get me wrong, I'm very pleased with my GTR. I think my expectations were coloured by the price tag. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have already complained to my HPC about the paintwork on my Black, Black Edition (2 weeks old). Nowhere near German quality and soft to boot. Although I did notice a scratch closed up in the sun! So there must be an element of truth in the self healing nature of the paint. But it doesn't help with orange peel, swirl marks and cloudiness. Frankly it's the only really negative thing I can find though............

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Have had friends asking me if my Black Black has been through a dodgy car wash it has so many swirls now on it after 6 months ownership.

I only wash it once every 6 weeks now as the the paint is so soft:(

·
Registered
818 Posts
Was told by my HPC, while we were at Goodwood for the Breakfast club, that all the Black cars they have had so far have all had to spend time in the paint shop, being worked on to remove a milky residue and various blemishes to the paint that they pick up on the boat.

I hate to think what the paint will be like after a year or two of driving!

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Does that mean an import? Coz mine is a UK car
they are all made in the same factory, sprayed in the same booth as JDM ones....

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
The paint on the black is 110 microns thick (ie really thin!) whereas the UMS is 180 microns.
today jdm and us etc are the same I think

1 - 18 of 18 Posts