GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New MG SV

Don't like the rounded arches but it does look very much like a Skyline. Nice stats too it's just a shame that the new Skyline is going so fat when cars like this are starting to appear on the market.:mad:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Saw this on Top gear last night.

About time MG made something that is up to the name..

was it a factory optional 960 bhp !! std was 410 I think.. they even have nitrous as a factory option.. the world has gone mad.

I thought it was very skyline also very GTR concept/Porker/ 350 z

Nice

/Steve

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I like it a lot. I get the feeling there are going to be more like this. Lets face it, when little companies can build a Zonda and think about making a profit the supercar must be back. That's the reason the new Skyline has dissappointed me so much. The R34 was almost there and some of the mods guys on this board have made show it can be just as good as the new MG. Admittedly they would most likely have to crank the engine up a bit but I don't think anyone would complain about having a 500bhp, tunable V8 monster in their car :D

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I suppose it depends if you can get anywhere that much power transferred to the tarmac.

I'd rather have a 400 odd BHP Skyline than a 650 bhp big block powered lump of lard that just wheelspins.

Burnouts have their place but it is nice to be able to get off of the line as well.

When you get the skyline up to the 600 odd mark it seems thay are pretty untouchable by similar power cars. unless they happen to have Atessa !!

And they go round corners.

I don't doubt that the new MG will handle, It certainly looks the part but I'd love to see one against a similarly powered skyline.

Mind you perhaps I am being a little unfair to the design team as this car has been developed by some real gurus. just have to wait and see.

/Steve

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, I think that before any modification to the skyline design is made the effect on it's handling must be examined.

The only reason I made the comment about the engine was that I think to compete on the "marketing" front nowadays 2.6 litre straight six is a bit small. If you did a basic "man on the street" analysis I get the feeling people would think that a 2.6 TT kicking out 500BHP when compared to a 5.0 V8 with 500BHP would be stretched to the limit. Most cars are, regardless of any benefit, running high power 3.0+ V6 or V8s. I think it may be the US market that causes it as we all know a big engine is all you need in a sports car:p

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Definately, when people ask you what size the RB26 is they are absolutely gobsmacked when you say 26 = 2.6 litres. I have taken a fair few people out and thay all expect a big v6 or v8 under the bonnet.

it'd be interesting to see a v8 transplant into a skyline and see what the 4wd handles like.

when is someone with too much money going to bolt 2 RB's together for a nice 5.2 litre V 12, that would be interesting !!

see ya

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest I reckon a big v6 or v8 would make the thing handle like a complete big. That is one of the benefits of the skyline, high power, low engine weight at the front.

Now a big v12 in the back!!!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I dunno if I'm right but I though the new generation Big block engines are cast from aluminium ?

The RB is big and strong from Cast iron so it is not a light lump.

may have my facts wrong there though (they usually are !!)

/Steve

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
could be right there. blows my theory out the water then:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts