GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to be upgradeing to an r35 maybe next year im looking at the roll cage options.

are there any cages available that still keep the car roadish friendly, I have 2 kids and would like a cage that fits wide and high so to speak so it keeps the interior fairly well clear.

the car will be around 750 hp and will see the drag strip aswell as used as a road car.

are there any cages made like that ?

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
so you want a cage that maintains the roof structure in the event of a roll, but uses up as little of the back seats as possible because you want to carry children in the back still?

These children in the back, will they be in a full harness and wearing crash helmets on all occasions?

If not, I think it's probably a bad idea. The movement of a child in the event of a collision even with an inertia reel seatbelt combined with some very unforgiving tubular structures would be a risk I'd never take.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so you want a cage that maintains the roof structure in the event of a roll, but uses up as little of the back seats as possible because you want to carry children in the back still?

These children in the back, will they be in a full harness and wearing crash helmets on all occasions?

If not, I think it's probably a bad idea. The movement of a child in the event of a collision even with an inertia reel seatbelt combined with some very unforgiving tubular structures would be a risk I'd never take.
im asking for what cages are available if any for that very reason ffs, not a lecture thank you !

·
Registered
271 Posts
there was a cage on an americain website i seen, but cant find it again... looked good though....think you have to take out back seats, which no bothers me lol!

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
im asking for what cages are available if any for that very reason ffs, not a lecture thank you !
Jesus Christ man, chill out.

It wasn't a lecture, it was a point of view from the benefit of knowledge of the industry.

ANY cage in the back is lethal to rear occupants. Do what you like with the information.

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
To my mind this is the biggest drawback of fitting a cage to a road car. Unless you are wearing a helmet, the cage actually increases your chance of a serious head injury.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
these are the cages -

I was going to pad mine for extra caution- I understand the concern about the kids etc..(Which I agree too).

ACG Bolt in Roll BAR with Harness Bar - R35 GT-R - GT-R Life

But 100% would never speed with my kids in the car or anybody in the rear.

I agree accidents can happen at slow speeds or due to other parties driving..

so we are never safe..

that looks like it would fit the bill.

with the cage you've listed there jurgen I could run at pod, or top speed run and then remove the rear bar for if I have the kids in the car road cruising.
the bars look well tucked up in the roof aswell.

I havnt got an r35 yet im just looking at the options as im going to be wanting a cage in it when I get one.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jesus Christ man, chill out.

It wasn't a lecture, it was a point of view from the benefit of knowledge of the industry.

ANY cage in the back is lethal to rear occupants. Do what you like with the information.

I am fully aware of the dangers of a normal road collision and a cage with bars around the head hence me starting this thread, that is the whole point of what im looking for in the cage.

·
Registered
862 Posts
i hate to jump in with the amount of know it all's on here these days but in my many years of being involved with race and modified stuff, people have been killed in low speed minor road accidents some not even their fault because of burst blood vessels on the brain after their head impacting in the roll cage most of these accidents they could have just walked out of,and some did only to collapse moments later.

i would not advise anyone fitting a £500 rollcage over the millions of pounds nissan developed safety system which make the gtr once of the safest supercars unless your car is for track use only i had these conversation with lot of people i coach as most presume the roll cage is a massive safety feature where as if you stop and think especially with the gtr front and side of the cabin you are putting a metal bar where normally there will be an airbag ..

jurgan you should know better then that....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
We fitted three japanese roll cages last week. Rear seats had to be taken off :

but other customer wants same roll cage, which will work with rear seats, so we will modifiy rear seats, which is not easy, and upholsterer work will be needed.

I will upload pictures from next work.

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
I am fully aware of the dangers of a normal road collision and a cage with bars around the head hence me starting this thread, that is the whole point of what im looking for in the cage.
If you read what I had said, the point I am making is that regardless of how out of the way the bars seem to be, inertia real seatbelts are not harnesses. That's why we have airbags as well.

In the event of an impact, you don't know what part of the interior your children's limbs and head might end up pressing against and so with that in mind, I personally wouldn't risk any kind of cage in the back if I am carrying passengers.

Am not trying to be a know all, or make anyone look stupid, this is nothing to do with how I come across, this is just a warning having dealt with crash investigators and car safety engineers in my day to day job who warned me to keep anyone without a full race harness and a crash helmet away from a roll cage, including a padded one.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
i hate to jump in with the amount of know it all's on here these days but in my many years of being involved with race and modified stuff, people have been killed in low speed minor road accidents some not even their fault because of burst blood vessels on the brain after their head impacting in the roll cage most of these accidents they could have just walked out of,and some did only to collapse moments later.

i would not advise anyone fitting a £500 rollcage over the millions of pounds nissan developed safety system which make the gtr once of the safest supercars unless your car is for track use only i had these conversation with lot of people i coach as most presume the roll cage is a massive safety feature where as if you stop and think especially with the gtr front and side of the cabin you are putting a metal bar where normally there will be an airbag ..

jurgan you should know better then that....
i prefer not too cage but In uk am almost being barred from running at event ;(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts