GTR Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's Ultimate Silver isn't it? The HPC won't want to touch that paint with a barge pole. Absolute nightmare to get any paintwork fixed on that colour - I know because I've got a small dent from Tesco in my rear wheel arch and no one wants to have a go at it.

One chap has told me he'd only guarantee a full respray on a UMS car.
My pal has ultimate silver and he needed to get the front bumper resprayed under warranty due to the lacquer coming away which was an absolute nightmare as Nissan struggled to get the colour match and said it's near impossible plus it cost's a fortune!!

What made things worse he had a builder round who accidentally dented his door and chipped the paint when he went to get a quote to have it repaired Nissan quoted 2500 quid :eek:

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
The first Nissan HPC I went to weren't keen and the claim got knocked back. Fortunately it's not only Nissan HPC that can paint GTR's, if you can find a Nissan approved body shop that will process the warranty claim. That's the avenue I am currently going down. Yes it'll need blending on the adjacent panels and they won't cover that, but I will pay the difference if they approve the door corrosion claim.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
My corrosion is back again within 12 months after repair by Nissan. They painted the door but the corrosion has just come back again near the handle.

I have raised it again with Nissan as the initial repair is obviously not good enough. They are dragging their heals and obviously trying to wriggle out of it.

Wonder what our options are for owners with similar issues? Class action anyone?

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
This is an 09 car which was at the Pistonheads meet on Sun, the owner has been told that Nissan will be prepared to resolve this although they haven't yet given him a date.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
This is an 09 car which was at the Pistonheads meet on Sun, the owner has been told that Nissan will be prepared to resolve this although they haven't yet given him a date.
They will probably only try and treat it and paint it like mine though and it comes back within 12 months again.

I'm pushing to have a new door fitted. It is clearly a problem from the factory for the 09/10 cars.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
My car (MY2010) is currently in with Stuart Gold in Croydon to have the bubbling on the tops of the door resolved (under warranty! :clap: ) He managed to get the paint claim through under warranty despite previously getting knocked back by Nissan when I went to the HPC in Tunbridge Wells.

When they removed the offside door mirror he found some bubbling under there too, so that will be repaired at the same time.

Nissan will pay for the door repairs, but not to blow in the adjacent panels, so I am covering that and getting the front bumper painted at the same time to remove some stone chips. (Colour matching is a nightmare on ultimate silver...)

If you have a full Nissan service history then getting a warranty claim covered should be less of an issue. Mine had the first 4 years but after had gone to Litchfields and Kaizer.

I think Nissan are being unreasonable to stipulate that you must have a full Nissan service history in order to process a warranty claim that is clearly the result of a manufacturing defect, and not, say, an untreated stonechip or dent that perforates the paint. If the rust was caused by damage and it had been left untreated, because you hadn't taken the car to a Nissan HPC, then you can understand it. But this is a manufacturing defect. Also, let's be honest, I think Nissan have saved a fortune in gearbox warranty replacements over the years by people taking their cars to companies like Litchfield to get simple solenoid issues fixed rather than the Nissan HPC having to change the entire gearbox under warranty! So a bit of give and take would be nice...

Anyway top marks for Gold Motors for getting the warranty claim through and looking after me!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
My car (MY2010) is currently in with Stuart Gold in Croydon to have the bubbling on the tops of the door resolved (under warranty! :clap: ) He managed to get the paint claim through under warranty despite previously getting knocked back by Nissan when I went to the HPC in Tunbridge Wells.

When they removed the offside door mirror he found some bubbling under there too, so that will be repaired at the same time.

Nissan will pay for the door repairs, but not to blow in the adjacent panels, so I am covering that and getting the front bumper painted at the same time to remove some stone chips. (Colour matching is a nightmare on ultimate silver...)

If you have a full Nissan service history then getting a warranty claim covered should be less of an issue. Mine had the first 4 years but after had gone to Litchfields and Kaizer.

I think Nissan are being unreasonable to stipulate that you must have a full Nissan service history in order to process a warranty claim that is clearly the result of a manufacturing defect, and not, say, an untreated stonechip or dent that perforates the paint. If the rust was caused by damage and it had been left untreated, because you hadn't taken the car to a Nissan HPC, then you can understand it. But this is a manufacturing defect. Also, let's be honest, I think Nissan have saved a fortune in gearbox warranty replacements over the years by people taking their cars to companies like Litchfield to get simple solenoid issues fixed rather than the Nissan HPC having to change the entire gearbox under warranty! So a bit of give and take would be nice...

Anyway top marks for Gold Motors for getting the warranty claim through and looking after me!
Nissan paid to have mine painted too. Within 12 months the corrosion has re-appeared.

The proper solution is new doors and paint matched.

Treating and painting over the corrosion is only a temporary fix.

I think we need a few of us to get together to put pressure on Nissan to properly resolve this obvious manufacturer fault.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
WOW, that's some pretty bad corrosion there chaps!! There's no way that should be happening.
Shame that Nissan don't seem to be manning-up and tackling this as they should. Hopefully you all get a positive outcome on this...

TT

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Well, finally got the rust bubbles fixed on both doors - the driver's side door that barely had any corrosion (just starting to appear from under the plastic trim) actually had a growing bubble once the door mirrors were removed, so there was another problem on the way. The corrosion has been fixed and I have also taken the opportunity to get the front bumper resprayed to remove some annoying stonechips.

I have to say, big thanks to Stuart Gold! He managed to get the warranty claim through where the previous Nissan HPC had failed, and also has done a very good job on the colour match of what, everyone tells me, is an impossible colour. Done a great job of blending in on the adjacent front wing panels along the soft edge. Just waiting a month to get it clear wrapped now.

Picture attached of the front bumper / bonnet paint match (The bonnet is half wrapped)

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ive got an 09 plate that i picked up 3 weeks ago with the rust bubbles on the doors and under the mirror like the pics on here. I had managed to knock the price down which should cover the cost of painting it but now reading this going to try the warranty claim fingers crossed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Just an update. Nissan were no help in the end, had the front end and doors resprayed by a local bodyshop. They have done a great job and looks like new again! Shame it's up for sale, best it has looked since I have owned it.

Never buying a Nissan again though, their customer service is awful. Gtr is a premium product from a budget brand so not equipped to support the service what gtr customers expect.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Right i have finally got around to taking some photos and e-mailing nissan customer service to start my battle in getting this sorted. Will keep people updated.

They were useless on the e-mail help just a copy and paste answer directing me to my local dealer, then sent another e-mail checking my local dealer would be able to help or did it have to be a Nismo centre to which they replied yes.

looks like its off to a dealer to waste some time.

Edit: June 2018: Off to Gold Motors this morning to collect my car as he has sorted the doors under warranty so anyone with this contact them was so easy to get sorted no hassle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Evening all, has anyone had this issue on a 63 plate?
I've got it on both doors and ultimate silver with only 17k on the clock.
After reading the previous comments Im not full of confidence in getting a match. Here we go with Nissan so wish me luck with that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine has just been sorted under warranty by GoldMotors no hassle what so ever they took photos and get it approved by nissan then booked in for a week and collecting it this morning. So get in contact with them if you need yours sorted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just visited dealer in Cambridge (120 mile round trip because my local Nissan dealership "Refused" to take a pic to send to Nissan HQ) so they can take a pic of my door on my 2015MY R35 which is showing a small bubble of corrosion in the normal place. I did not get any hint of it not being approved by Nissan and expect a date to send the car in soon.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts