GTR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
You need to change a lot to get this power on the old GTR´s;)

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
You need to change a lot to get this power on the old GTR´s;)
True, but you are doing it with only 2/3rds the capacity of an R35.

Consider what could have been achieved with a 3.8L straight 6.

It also will be interesting to see how long/often you can keep taking 750+ without needing work. Assuming the gearbox holds up, which was identified as a potential problem at day 1, as it is in high power 'old' GTRs.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
not that much really, much cheaper too - look at RIPS work:thumbsup:
Good point:
A RIPS RB30 engine isn´t even a "real" R32/33/34 GTR engine.....so if you change the complete engine,uprate the oilpump/oilsystem,headgasket,cams,new bearings,pistons,rods + all the small other small things......then you got a reliable RB26 or RB30....not much id say:nervous:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good point:
A RIPS RB30 engine isn´t even a "real" R32/33/34 GTR engine.....so if you change the complete engine,uprate the oilpump/oilsystem,headgasket,cams,new bearings,pistons,rods + all the small other small things......then you got a reliable RB26 or RB30....not much id say:nervous:
:) all this work u said will be same price as gtr35 mods or deposit for r35?

rips rb30 complete will be lots cheaper = gtr35 tyres....

remember gtr35 is for rich ppl only poor ppl need cheaper way for 700ps :D

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
:) all this work u said will be same price as gtr35 mods or deposit for r35?

rips rb30 complete will be lots cheaper = gtr35 tyres....

remember gtr35 is for rich ppl only poor ppl need cheaper way for 700ps :D
Er, the UK R34 GT-R cost £52k in 1999, so equivalent to what, £65k-£70k in today's money?

Or are you trying to amaze us by saying 10year+ cars cost less than new ones? :nervous:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Assuming the gearbox holds up, which was identified as a potential problem at day 1, as it is in high power 'old' GTRs.
there are parts to do this now just like the old ones

·
Registered
794 Posts
Er, the UK R34 GT-R cost £52k in 1999, so equivalent to what, £65k-£70k in today's money?

Or are you trying to amaze us by saying 10year+ cars cost less than new ones? :nervous:
lol talking bout now david ....
u got moolah..thats fine :thumbsup: if i got 50k lying around id get r35 too :clap:

i aint tho so i got r32 for <5k :D

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
there are parts to do this now just like the old ones
And to be fair, R35 'boxes don't fail due to power output, not up to about 700whp anyway.

The SSP R35 I drove during the Gumball had a completely stock gearbox and clutches.
Uprated clutches seem to be all that is needed up to very silly levels of power provided you're not doing continuous "old" 4,500rpm launches.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
if you use the power to launch it, its going to fail faster with 700 than 515...

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
My point being that you don't have to uprate the gearbox merely to contain a 700-750hp engine. Doubt the old Getrags would survive for long at that level regardless of launches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts