GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always run r888 on all my evos and you simple can't compare them to ordinary road tyres.

Road noise is a lot higher and wear rate is pants but outright grip in dry or damp conditions they are amazing but if it's raining hard they are not so good.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Why buy grippy tyres and want to "slide" the car??? That***8217;s an oxymoron if ever I heard one!!!

Yep, been using R888 on my R33 for 10 years the best Track tyre in my opinion

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Yeah, you'll be able to do that !!!

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
MPSS - Road 9/10 Track 5/10
R888 - Road 8/10 Track 9/10

Search you will find all our reviews. You can break any tyre away with enough force.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I never realised that MPSS were quite as bad on track Vernon ??
I fully plan to buy a second set of wheels for 888's and would use them at Knockhill but for the likes of a Spa/Ring trip or if I was to head down South I hoped to leave the MPSS on so that I wouldn't have to worry about big puddles and the like for the drive there.
I know they are on a totally different level from any semi-slick but never thought they would be that bad.
Do they go off really quickly or do they just offer poor grip from the off when they heat up ?
J

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
MPSS - Road 9/10 Track 5/10
R888 - Road 8/10 Track 9/10

Search you will find all our reviews. You can break any tyre away with enough force.
thanks, what about wet?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Completely agree with vernon about the MPSS.

I love them on the road, awesome in the wet and for day to day driving and there more than capable for spirited driving.

But sadly on track they just didn't do the job. They just have a dumb feel to them imo. And after a couple of laps they get hot and you can feel the treads moving about.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
R888 are fine in damp or light rain is just standing water they can't handle
hmm tempted for summer and the summer track days... if I finally make it to one! lol

How much better is the dry grip over mpss on the public road?

thanks Brad

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Only used r888 on evos as of yet.

But on the road you won't get anywhere near there potential but that's not to say you won't enjoy the grip they have and it's not just cornering its how well they stop also

I found dunlop dz03 better on track than r888 as slightly harder compound and didn't go off as quick but not sure they do dz03 in GTR sizes plus could never get enough heat into them on the road so R888 were always the better balance of the two

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had a very lucky escape on the way home from Knockhill before and that was in July, thats what makes me weary of travelling long distances with them.
My trip to Spa was 1400 miles last year and there was a day of proper rain when we drove between there and the Ring :(
I never liked the Dunlops in the heavy rain but suspect even they are better.
J

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
R888 fans need to try Federal FTZ201`S or better still, Dunlop Direzzas...

personally I hate the way 8888`s "go off".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts