GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just came back from the Finals of the GTR / 370z Race Academy day at SIlverstone.
The day consisted of 4 morning events
- GTR fast track laps
- 370z Fast track laps
- Drifiting course

- Slalom course time trials

The frst 3 events were "instructor graded" as a score out of 100%
the slalom was timed by computer.

At lunchtime 18 of the 36 competitors were dismissed.
The Afternoon session was more head to head and timed laps in the 370z on track.

I was fastest in the morning session in all events and was confident to go thru, but was excluded at Lunchtime due to " Instructor comments, despite my first place grades"
- wierd cos 2 of the instructors said i was the best they'd seen all day, only the drifting guy was a bit off - asking if he knew me from somewhere and if i had a brother called alan (which i don't). Also if I had ever taken drugs (again I have not, and was shocked to be asked this out of the blue)

So, i am sorry to say that Nissan seem to have taken on boad the view of a single person, which was unrelated to my driving and based their decisions on god knows what comment he may have made about me.

I wish the eventual winner all the best, but the Race Academy has left me with a bitter aftertaste and changed my view to one of disdain for the whole event.

Thanks for nothing Nissan GB Events team.

One very disillusioned customer.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Race Academy finals, first I have heard about it. Was that for all the people who won the super pole event at the Race Academy?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not heard of the event before? Sounds like a pretty poor show if you were dismissed for this reason. Maybe you were better than the instructor!!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The scoring has been odd throughout this years Race Academy.

Last year had only one event 'judged' with 3 events scored by time (or digital score for the drift with a drift-box). Thus it was 75% scientific. I won the event that day, but of course no invite back for last years winners.

This years event was great fun (yes I did both). It had only 1 event timed and two judged. So only 33% scientific. What I saw on that day with my scores and others, showed me that the judging was very inconsistent between judges. One of my judged scores was completely inconsistent with both my scores in other events, the previous event and also others in my group. To be honest I wasn't that fussed on the day, but it was clear to me that the final scores had a huge amount of randomness in them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi chaps, thanks for your support.
Yeah, i won the first event and was invited back to Silverstone Today, along with the top 3 from each of the 12 race academy events.
Unfortunately there is no-one to contact at Nissan or anyway to appeal their arbitrary decision - they have just made a snap decision and withdrawn the prize from me for no good reason.
By the way, the prize for winning today was a works sponsored drive in the 370z for 12 races during 2010 season in Dunlop Sportmax chamionship. Very gutted....
Maybe they wanted their own winner from "within the ranks" - who knows.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ahh I just read your post fully, I think it was the people who won the superpole section of the Academy, I made an arse of that part LOL

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Thanks for nothing Nissan GB Events team.

One very disillusioned customer.
You've had a couple of days of hospitality and thrashing someone else's cars around, I wouldn't feel too aggrieved given you didn't pay anything for it.

Interesting re the Driftbox - on the day I went, the drifting scores were subjective - mine wasn't filled in by the instructor so one of the girls went off to have it completed after the timed lap event. I'm sure she did it herself because it was the only thing I didn't do well in - who can I sue?

Philip

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi chaps, thanks for your support.
Yeah, i won the first event and was invited back to Silverstone Today, along with the top 3 from each of the 12 race academy events.
Unfortunately there is no-one to contact at Nissan or anyway to appeal their arbitrary decision - they have just made a snap decision and withdrawn the prize from me for no good reason.
By the way, the prize for winning today was a works sponsored drive in the 370z for 12 races during 2010 season in Dunlop Sportmax chamionship. Very gutted....
Maybe they wanted their own winner from "within the ranks" - who knows.
Hi,
Ive just come back from the academy finals and i am overjoyed at winning the whole prize, i do feel sorry for the circumstances in which you was evicted but i can say to put your mind at ease i dont know anyone from Nissan and have no links with them.

All the best
Craig

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Ahh I just read your post fully, I think it was the people who won the superpole section of the Academy, I made an arse of that part LOL
Just to clarify, my understanding is that:

Last year the winners of the timed Superpole event in the 350Z (one per day) went forward for a prize to drive a 350Z.

This year, the top 3 overall winners of each day were invited back to win a 370Z drive.

The third piece is Lucas Ordonez who won the GT Academy, which was a separate event last year, designed to take Playstation winners into driving real cars. This was not linked in anyway to GTRs or GTR ownership.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks Guy, I knew somebody would know the score. Did not want to build up my hopes of blagging another drive on circuit with someone else worrying about warranty and insurance LOL

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
isn't the run by BRDC and not Nissan themselves?
Instructors are BRDC/Silverstone.

No idea whether the overall event is run by Nissan staff or subcontractors, but the event introductions are done by Nissan staff, usually from marketing.

This years event was run from a Nissan-branded building (inside/out) near the Porsche centre, but inside the South Circuit at Silverstone. Last years event was run from the BRDC Clubhouse (generally) and was not branded on a dedicated basis.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Oh for God's sake, stop whinging about being disillusioned and thank your lucky stars that a car manufacturer actually invited you to such a fantastic free event!

I was there last year (http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/102304-silverstones-track-day-show-us-your-times-2.html#post956444) and as I understand it came 2nd overall of the entire year. Yes I'm a little bit disappointed that there was no run-off for a free racing prize last year, but for goodness sake, it was the most fantastic free-bee!

If you won the lottery, I bet you'd be the sort of person who would complain that it wasn't a roll-over week.

GROW UP!!!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Out of interest what ages roughly :)are nmorley and craig - the winner? I guesss they would have been looking at all sorts of criteria including how you would come across to media, consistency, temprament etc.. There could be alll sorts of reasons why you might not get picked.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts