GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just ordered an R35 this week - so I thought I should join this forum! Expecting delivery sometime Q1 next year and can't wait.

My question is regarding some posts on the forums regarding Nissan Race Academy - is this something that my HPC will automatically invite me to? Or do I have to pay to organise a booking myself?

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
MNK,

Congratulations on your order and welcome to the forum.

The Race Academy has finished for 2009 and I am not sure if it is running again in 2010. It was for those who had ordered a GTR (or taken delivery but who could not attend in 2008) or 370Z.

The winner was Craigmsh (GTR Register member) and he will race a factory prepared 370Z in the 2010 Dunlop Sport Maxx Cup.

I suggest you speak to your HPC and ask them to contact Nissan GB to see if there are plans to run another Race Academy next year for those who have placed orders since Oct / Nov.

I suppose it might depend on how Craig gets on and whether he bends the car! (only joking, I was in his group at Finals day and he is a very worthy winner).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool many thanks for the info.

I thought it was something like what Porsche offered to new owners - a chance to cane one of their cars around a track/slalom etc to see what it's capable of - didn't realise it's a lot more serious than that!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Cool many thanks for the info.

I thought it was something like what Porsche offered to new owners - a chance to cane one of their cars around a track/slalom etc to see what it's capable of - didn't realise it's a lot more serious than that!
I ordered mine in September and was also offered delivery in Q1 2010. When I asked the salesperson about the Race Academy, he told me I should hear directly from Nissan (I presume this is for 2010). :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
It looks like Sony / Nissan are going to run the GT Academy again in 2010.

For those that don't know it was run in 2008 for Playstation 3 owners of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. After posting times online of lapping a 350Z at one of GT5's circuits the fastest 'drivers' were whittled down and the winner won a race seat in the Dubai 24hrs alongside Jonny Herbert followed by a seson's racing in Europe in a Nissan factory prepared 350Z.

The chap that won is a Spaniard called Lucas Ordonez and for those that attended this year's Race Academy he was on hand to give passenger laps in his race-spec 350Z. He came across as a really top bloke and was pretty handy behind the wheel bearing in mind he had never raced a car before entering the GT Academy. From memory he finished second in his championship, only missing out on a shot at the series win after a mechanical failure at the final double-header. Not bad for a PS3 gamer!

Anyway, it's going to happen again next year:

'Sony's announced that the GT Academy competition will begin this year on 17th December.

That may be unremarkable, but on the same day a special demo of Gran Turismo 5 will be released.

That sampler of Polyphony's game offers up a Time Trial platform to qualify for the Academy. Race a Nissan 370Z as fast as you can around a new GT5 circuit before 24th January 2010 to take part.'

The relevance to new owners or those who are thinking of placing an order is that Nissan may well run another Race Academy in 2010.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for answering my question.

mdr - I ordered it from Middlehurst - they said they have a few available in the next 2 months if you want one quick.

Also worth calling around other HPCs since I found a few have had orders from people who can no longer afford them and are available pretty much immediately - I test drove one at Marshalls on a Saturday and he said I could pick up a brand new one 2 days later if I wanted!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts