GTR Forum banner

Are you OK with a Racing clutch as daily drive

• I am a pro and drive anywhere I want.

Votes: 68 52.7%
  • I am used to it, but don't take the car to the mall

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I get stressed at every stop.

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • I want back my standard clutch, overkill for me!

Votes: 4 3.1%
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how many of you are getting stressed , driving with a quad plate, for example, around the town or on Saturday to the shopping mall with your family.
I personally think Racing clutches are overkill for every day use, sweet on the track, stress like hell on daily stop and go.
A real silly image, showing up in my 120db GTR at the red lights and killing the engine at go . . .:chuckle: :chuckle:

Quad plate is overkill for me.:eek: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

·
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I feel, that I will go for the boy racer in this thread . . .:chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you launch it off the limiter at every junction/light etc its no problem at all!!

On a serious note I have an Exedy triple plate and its no pronlem at all, light pedal & doesn't come on strong but will definately hold the power.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I've got an Excedy twin plate, and it's perfectly fine for every day driving, and I know that it can handle the current power levels I have, along with my driving style. Well impressed with it, actually.

Steve
Does it make a lot of noise Steve?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I've got an ORC twin plate, I've driven quite a few cars with twin plates and the ORC is the worst, (Os Giken probably the best I've driven), but I have no problem driving it anywhere, shopping centres, holiday traffic, town centres etc, the only thing that worries me is it getting too hot or getting excessively worn when I'm crawling along/stop start in traffic jams. The clutch has never stopped me using the car or made me think twice about using it.

Alex B

·
Registered
854 Posts
ive got a twin plate in mine but unfortunately dont know the make... all i can say is once you get used to it its not too bad, just a bit harsh on pedal feel but would not stop you from using it at all. i just love the comments i get about the noise when you dip thge clutch at the lights:chuckle: :chuckle:

apparently the thrust bearing sounds awfull.........ha ha ha.:chairshot :chairshot :chairshot

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
werent there some good tripple/quad plate clutches out which dont need a lot of foot pressure?

correct me if im wrong though.

but 20kg is overkill imo. i cant imagine that being fun in a daily ride!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
werent there some good tripple/quad plate clutches out which dont need a lot of foot pressure?

correct me if im wrong though.

but 20kg is overkill imo. i cant imagine that being fun in a daily ride!
think they were carbon clutches?

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
you want try a H K S TRIPLE PLATE round town ,now thats an interesting drive ,not for the inexperianced:wavey: NISMOMAN

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have an Exedy twin which is not too heavy and quite nice really considering it can take the power (more than i've got as it happens). One thing i've not seen mentioned yet and imo is important is that if the pedal is heavy(ier) than stock you are putting the extra load on the crank thrust bearings, so rather than wear them out i always go to neutral at the lights and re-select to go. I've seen wrecked thrusts and consequently wrecked engines because of the resulting low oil pressure- just some food for thought.

Tony

·
Registered
121 Posts
hks triple plate is a bit of a nightmare, even thought i got used to it, still harsh
my os giken triple is just perfect, feels nice, easy to use, handles the drag launches and the pedal aint too heavy

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a HKS twin plate in my Rex which was just plain nasty, not much biting point......it was either in or out. Sold it to a young chap who stalled 4 times when trying to drive it away.

Then had a GTST with one or two mods and a Gmax triple plate clutch. Sounded like someone dragging a piece of metal along the ground everytime you dipped the clutch. Not as bad as the HKS but kept you on your toes at lights.

·
Registered
586 Posts
OS Giken, tripple, the tougher of the two, drives like a normal car, the only downside is at idle, it rattles like crazy, people think the cranks dropping out.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
More than happy with the Exedy double carbon. Light and easy to use. No grief at the lights. I have them in three cars (GTR, Soarer, FD3S). A little rattly, but I quite like the sound now! The earlier ones slipped when cold, and needed to be rubbed together like a virgin's thighs, but now Exedy've sorted that, so they grip from the word go. (Wouldn't mind trying some of the others mentioned, though!)

·
Banned
14 Posts
As Piers says Carbon clutches are great choice for useability

CARBONETIC CLUTCH SERIES

Superb heat resistance to withstand extreme racing requirements

ACROSS successfully raised the C/C melting point by over 1,000 degrees centigrade

Prevents fusion with surrounding metal parts

No distortion of the carbon disk

An unparalleled level of strength and enduring performance through a unique, random weaving methodology

Large carbon disk diameter of 230mm

Superior friction characteristics and excellent torque transfer
Non-slipping even without warm up (within rated horse power,no power shifting)

Quality engineered and manufactured in Japan

All parts manufactured and assembled in the strictest quality control environment

Flexibility to manufacture per customer specifications

Outstanding controllability in even the thickest of traffic congestions

Maintains consistent “soft pedal feel”

Highly controllable in half clutch position

Smooth operation in traffic or up a slope

Largest reduction in inertia weight

Lightweight - less than 25% of a traditional metal clutch

Prevents power loss and allows for quick gear shifting

Enhanced synchronization

Radical cost effectiveness in the long term

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
i had a twin plate OS carbon clutch ,nice and light but it would slip when cold,if you got it hot it was fine,but if you were on the motorway just cruseing at say 80mph if you put your foot down as soon as it came on boost it would slip ,trouble is they burn the plates out after a bit so it had to come out ,the car was running about 600bhp so i,m not sure if it was on it,s limit :wavey: NISMOMAN

1 - 20 of 78 Posts