GTR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fitted any Racing Belts to their R34 GT-R V-Spec? If so how easy was it and how much did they cost?

I notice the seats have the harness holes ready to go but where do the belts connect to? Do they need special adaptor plates bolting in? If so do these stop the rear passengers from using back seats (I want to still be able to use my rear passenger seats)

Anyone did this on a uk spec car?

Trev

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Trevor I have a 4 point willians FIA jobbie (3 inch) in my R33. The lap belts secure to the eyelet bolts supplied they screw in to where the seat belt bolts in to the centre console and on the front bolt of the seat belt runner on the door side. The rears using the supplied eyelet bolts again do not screw in to any of the rear seat belt holes but there are an extra two bolt holes there inbetwen the seat belt attachements, these (on a 33) were rebored slightly to take the eyelets.

The lap belts fold nicely and disapear down the sides of the drivers seat when not in use. The rear I leave in through the head rest but folded back, if I have passengers (usually my 6 year old lad) I unthread it from the head rest and put it on the floor, it might be a bit uncomfotable to an adult but he doesn't complain.

..Ian

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ian,

I'm having a bit of difficulty visualising your description... is it possible you could take a few digital piccies of the mounting points and post em on here?

Many thanks,

Trevor
PS... How much did your belts cost and where did you buy em from?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
My belts are not road legal they are the same as GT/F1 uses. They cast about £270- from Demon Tweaks. I would get the 2 1/2 inch wide ones as the 3inchers are a squeeze thru the head rewst hole.

What part are you having problems with ? as AOL won't let me send any piccies out!

...Ian

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sigh... They are not road legal?

Are any multi-point harnesses road legal then? I dont want to remove my original factory seat belts or anything but would love to get some race style 3 point harnesses for the added grip.

Q. Surely if I considered fitting these belts and then wore the normal belt over the top of them that would be legal right?

Trev

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
IMO you'd look a bit of a muppet with 2 seatbelts on. it would convey a lack of confidence in ones driving ability to the passengers !!:D

I think the harnesses that have the seatbelt style quick release on them (push the red bit and it comes undone) are legal. the ones which work like a parachute harness are not.

hope this helps.
Steve

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Steve thats true but the ones with the red button look naff!

I wera the normal belt for everyday driving and the 4 point for track days, a 3 point won't work as the rear single point will be off line and at a funny angle thru the all ready tight head rest hole, you have two holes in your seats but will still be out of line which is not good at taking the strain in a heavy shunt!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
My 3 point is ok.

I have secured it on the bottom mount for the off side rear passenger. It goes between the trims on the bum pad part of the rear seat.

It is slightly at an angle but the length of the run negates any real problems.

the problem with allignment I have is that the front seat mount on the left side is used along with the seatbelt slider mount on the right hand side. this means that the belt which is designed to be floor mounted is a little too long on the left side and as a result sits a bit wonky.

The support is the same but if I were to do it again I'd bolt it straight to the floorpan to straighten it up.

As it adjusts up ok the only result is the belt clip (which does look a bit naff) is slightly off centre. I only wear the harness when I am going mad so I have more to worry about than a wonky harness catch.

The main thing is that it sits across your shoulders and holds you in the seat under hard braking. and this it does without fault.

I would consider going harness full time but 1. it engcourages you to go a bit harder. and 2. it is difficult to see out of junctions because you cant lean forwards. also parking can be a bit awkward as you are pinned to the seat.

I couldn't believe how much more feedback you get from the car when you are bolted to it by a harness though, you know exactly when it is going to let go on you.

I feel it is a must for trackdays.
/Steve

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Always wear the harness on the road. Just hate the way a normal seat belt feels. Will admits it restricts my movement a bit but I can live with that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts