GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a couple of sabelt harnesses for my 33gtr.
My questions are:-
1).. should i buy 3 point or 4 point harnesses ?
2).. Can i use existing seat belt points to secure them ?(would they be in the right places)
3).. Does anyone have any pictures of how they've secured their own, especially the shoulder straps ?
4).. Can the shoulder straps be secured to the metal under the parcel shelf or should they go to the floor area ?
5).. from an MOT point of view, can the original belts be taken out?

The car has back seats fitted, but they're never used, so i'm not bothered about straps being in the way for passengers.
Sorry for all the questions, but i have done a search and came up with very little info.
Cheers,
Duncan.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
The search button is your friend :chuckle:

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/61201-4-point-seat-belts.html?highlight=harness

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/65684-think-i-have-new-desktop-pic.html?highlight=harness

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/55764-do-luck-floor-bar-harnesses.html?highlight=harnesses

Car will pass so long as the safety restraints you have fitted (whether they're seatblets or harnesses) are in good condition, securely fitted and operate by way of a push-button release (so traditional harnesses with a yoke that needs to be rotated to unfasten them will fail the MOT) IIRC.

Then read here:

Installation- and Operating Instructions

straight from the horses mouth :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Car will pass so long as the safety restraints you have fitted (whether they're seatblets or harnesses) are in good condition, securely fitted and operate by way of a push-button release (so traditional harnesses with a yoke that needs to be rotated to unfasten them will fail the MOT) IIRC.

QUOTE]

I have Sabelt harnesses in my 300zx, rotate release and binned the seat belts - passed 2 MOT's without comment

·
Registered
4,894 Posts

QUOTE]

I have Sabelt harnesses in my 300zx, rotate release and binned the seat belts - passed 2 MOT's without comment
Luck of the drawer matey. IIRC you have to be able to unfasten the harness/seatbelt with only one hand, thus although the rotate-release yoke CAN be done one-handed it's not very easy, hence most MOT stations can fail it on that if they like. However, like all things - you just have to find a friendly MOT tester :) Personally, I'd leave the factory seatbelts fitted as well as your harness and it should pass no problems.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I wouls say if you are using it as a road car like I am then a 3 point is a good way to go as you can have the belt going to the back on a release clip so you can still get passengers in the back v. easily and simply !

i run both 3 point harnesses and normal seatbelts so i can have the best of both worlds...

Never had a prob with an MOT with these

1 - 7 of 7 Posts