GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
I was aiming to buy one for £299 but have not yet. Snooper I think. I bet a lot of owners want to do this. Should we try for Skyline GTR & GTS discount??

·
Registered
234 Posts
radar etc

i've read some rave reviews about the geodesy system.however, as it relies on people out checking for new cameras and the subsequent updating of the database, i also understand that it can struggle to keep up. does anyone have personal experience of geodesy because that is what i've been closest to buying in preference to a radar system. incidentally, i saw an ad in evo last month which appeared to be for an alternative geodesy-type (ie gps based) system.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Morpheus

Have you tried the Morpheus?

Not a radar detector as I keep getting told, but a GPS unit linked to a database of all known/recorded cameras including areas where mobile units operate. Very good and very reliable, just remember to trun it off on the M25 otherwise the continous buzzing and flashing will do your head in!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Geodesy

Sammy

I have been using a Geodesy for about a year.

Generally speaking, it works very well although it can get a bit confused on the M25, specifically whether it is heading for the next camera (red lights) or away from the previous one (green lights).

However I think this is only because they are so close, i.e. they within the 1 mile warning zone that is set.

Rgds

Chris

·
Registered
176 Posts
Number plates

Bah! Stuff radar detectors.

Just drive around without numberplates. If I'm out doing something daft (like driving the getaway car for a bank heist) I just remove the number plates from the car.

It is illegal in Australia to have fake number plates, but only a $67 fine per missing plate. Considering that I never have a front number plate and have only been booked twice - it makes it very easy to just remove the rear one for high speed/illegal antics.

;)

Mario.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Geodesy setting

Chris,

Have you tried changing the default settings. I don't own one myself but a close friend has different settings specified for weekday and weekend driving. All he has to do is phone up the customer helpline and get it changed at their end. He has even managed to point out where mobile cameras have been clocked (Wendover bypass) etc. Don't know how relaible this would be for the guys in Scotland. They seem to get a rough deal WRT these kind of databases.

That strecth between Dundee and Aberdeen would be a good check. If that isn't logged then nothing is!

·
Registered
234 Posts
thanks chris - that sounds v promising as despite the best efforts of various local authorities we still do not have any stretch of road with the camera density of the m25 (just give them time though:mad: )
i might get some information on the other system that i mentioned before a final decision. i might also check the latest position as to when/if all of these devices are to be made unequivocally illegal:mad: :mad: :mad:
sammy

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Radar

All radar detectors originate from the US but Bel radar detectors are supposed to be tuned for the UK I have one and it all depends on what you are looking to detect
Handheld laser guns it will detect if its line of sight range approx 1.5 miles and it does work i have tryed it
Gatso,s fire the radar in the same direction you are going so you have to rely on reflected beams which can be strong or not, it all depends on how close you drive tp the car in front and there position ie is there any armco for it to bounce from!
Range for Gatso,s 250yds - 2yds
So the answer is detector for laser and geodercy for Gatso,s
Hope this helps

:cool:

·
Registered
327 Posts
The Best web site for info on radar detectors

hi Every one,

There is a very nice man out there in the UK who has made it his life's work to answer all your questions on this subject.

so go to his web site it is free to enter and find out all the truths about speeding!

their is also a Email sevice about new speed traps and infomation on what the police are up to!

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/

I have one!
Bel 990 International
and it works and it's good it's saved me a few times!!

I also have a Valentine One which I like a lot!

Hope you find this intresting I did!

And if you want to buy a unit and get some discount try

Glen at Comtec Tel 01942851800 for the Bel units

·
Registered
404 Posts
Speed traps

Alan, is correct about American speed detectors being for mobile units, as stationary Gatso’s where used to test the speed of buckshot by certain people. :confused:

I’m not sure of the results, never seen any published, but the Gatso’s sure looked funny after the test where done. :D

Here in Germany, good spirited people are putting up sighs a few yards ahead to cameras to warn over drivers. :)

I have even seen a lady standing at the side of the road opening and closing her hand warning people of a camera just a few yards up the road.:cool:

As for removing your license plate that worked in some States as an act of defiance to the Clinton government during the first fuel price hike 2 years ago but that needs a lot of co-operation from the public at large.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts