GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a radar detector, but my rear side windows and rear window are tinted....

I seem to be getting conflicting views about how tinted windows can/do affect the performance of a radar detector. I don't want to go and buy one and find that it's only reliably able to detect threats from directly ahead (even though thats likely to be where most are).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Durzel,

Rule of thumb is it needs a clear view of the skty to work effectively. I guess tinted windows will reduce the effectiveness therefore. Have you thought about installing it in the front windscreen?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats probably where I would install it.

To be honest, having thought about it Im not entirely sure what the benefit would be. The kinds of speeds I would be worried about getting caught I would probably only end up getting a 3 second advance warning, certainly not enough to slow down. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
speed

DURZEL SAVE YOUR MONEY

YOU HAVE ALL GUYS DETAILS ON YOUR LOG BOOK GIVE
THE COPS HIS NAME AND ADDRESS
:D :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
My snooper only pick up from the front, due to laser signals and rader being able to bounce of objects, I quite like it, I don't speed in 30 and 40 zones anyway ( If i can help it ), never have, but it is good on the mWay, found all those GATSOS on the M25, after grasshopper.....

Only annoying thing is radar opporated traffic lights, they say the city feature sorts the amount of false alerts but it dont.....

Those new GPS Based units are supposed to be the dogs though...

Si

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Radar Detectors

Draxx is totally correct Durzel .(Well for Gatsos at any rate ).

What you need is a Geodesy or Origin Blue GPS Gatso Locator !

I've been meaning to get one but keep putting of until it's too late !

Radar detectors will not give enough warning for Gatsos so what's the point ?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Paul & Durzel

My Bel 550 do give enough warning of gatsos if it is mounted high on the front windscreen (near the roof). Probably starts to pick up 'live' Fatsos about 50m before which gives enough time to slow down if necessary.
I have the Geodesy as well, but it cannot distinguish between fake and live Gatsos which the Bel can. They do give warnings for the Spec cameras though which is good as they are spaced quite far apart and the Geodesy will warn you until you are out of the detection zone.

You can 'turn off' some frequencies on the Bel and minimise false warnings.

Vincent

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Weka

Thanks for info . Is 50m enough to slow down in ?

I slow down for every one I spot or even think I've spotted !

BTW.Did you get my PMs ?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
50m does give you enough time to slow down - remember, slow down to speed limit, not stopping. So unless you are way over limit then.......

·
Registered
130 Posts
Heated windows or metallic film window tints generally do reduce the reception on radar detectors,

so get yourself a radar detector with a remote antenna such as the Valentine 1 which has had very good reviews and comes with 2 antenna on for the front and one for the rear for total coverage

£500 but if it saves you getting a few points or a ban then it becomes very cheap

·
Registered
905 Posts
My snooper 815is does about the same as the Bel550 range wise anyway, but I just keep mine on the dash, and it gives me just enough time to react, Plus I onlypaid 100 quid for it of the forum, brand new!!! Which is a major bonus, it's already paid for itself....

Si:D

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Bel 550

Saved my backside loadsa times... well worth the money. Oh and Durzel I have tinted rear and side windows too but that ain't where it picks it's info up from... it's the front

Luke

·
Registered
172 Posts
GPS System

Durzel

The origin blue i is a GPS system but it does have M-way features [eg will not show alert for Gatso's that are not on M-way] and will not alert if camera is pointing down the other carriage way. What it does not do is show common mobile Gatso points.

Rgds Ian W

·
Registered
592 Posts
Mines an Cobra 9550 so far its spotted diddle...

It went berserk once for a laser detection for no apparent reason, though it does like traffic lights...

Ive driven past police cars watching in laybys and its not even wimpered though it could have been they wernt scanning..

So I wouldnt recommend it you might have already guessed.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
I have a Bel one which is appartently tuned for the UK market.
Does work quite well but like all detectors picks up the odd door open sensors from petrol stations which are on the same freq.
Best regards Alan

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have a BEL 950?? cant remember the model number, it works great......but beeped so much I thought sod it and chucked it in the glove compartment....3points later its now back in the window and can beep all it bloody wants!!!!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I HAVE A VALENTINE ONE IN MY RX7 WHICH IS GOIN IN MY SKYLINE THE BEST RADAR DETECTOR IVE USED UP TO NOW BY FAR. GIVES ALL ROUND RANGE AND DOES'NT DO YOUR HEAD IN AROUND TOWN EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT. SAVED MY AR5E PLENTY OF TIMES.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Geodesy

I have used one of these for 18m or so and am well impressed. It picks up all the fixed sites and by pluging it into a phone line it updates itself with any new sites. No it will not pick up the roadside mobile lasar sites (aren't these being subject to new regulations?) but it means that you can drive along happily without spending your time scanning the hedgerows for hidden Gatso cameras.
Warning times are user set and personally I would rather have one device I can rely on 100% to do a specific task rather than one which may or may not give cover.

Regard it as an in-car condom.....use as directed and you will only get caught if you get careless ! otherwise have fun with it on!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Geodesy

Max said:
Regard it as an in-car condom.....use as directed and you will only get caught if you get careless ! otherwise have fun with it on!
Good analogy :D :smokin:

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
To true Max
I use a Geodesy as well as a Bell detector for those unseen motorway bridge handheld lasers.
We can only try and protect ourselves against the onslought of technology :D
Best regards Alan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts