GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 33 gtr with stock rad. Does anyone know if the bottom sensor screwed into the radiator is absolutely necessary?

I never use my a/c .

Would it be harmful if I take it out and block it off or do I need the sensor connected?

The threads are worn out on the rad and hence and sensor isn't able to sit tight and always leaks. So I wanted use some putty epoxy and put in a bung.

Thanks.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
It is for the auxiliary electric fan. If this fan comes on, its already cooked. Feel free to not use it

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
It is for the auxiliary electric fan. If this fan comes on, its already cooked. Feel free to not use it
Really? My auxiliary fans come on a few times when i was at Santa Pod a few weeks back? And when i have the A/C on it the hottest days at comes on sometimes in traffic...seems to do its job

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had mine come on when sitting in traffic, aircon running, Summer heat.
I think fitting a diode to trigger the Aux fan to come on when the aircon activates is a better plan.
Always thought the 32's engine fan didn't shift as much air at low rpm as later Rb26's.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
That switch is reading the temperature of the water after cooling as it re-enters the engine. If the water is at 90 degrees, the extra fan switches on to assist cooling.
To me, that suggests the cooling system is not operating correctly.
Oversize pulleys, fouled radiators, low idle etc can cause overheating in traffic. Also, removing the fan shroud will upset the idle cooling.

·
Registered
325 Posts
True, the bottom tank is your coldest coolant so the engine is quite hot by the time the Aux. fan activates.
There's a mod to link a diode to switch the Aux fan, both relays are side by side in the engine bay fuse box.
Trouble is the Aux fan is then running the whole time the aircon is on, not just when the compressor is pumping.
A better plan is to fit the diode from the magnetic clutch wiring to the Aux fan relay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts