GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just how many CFM is the stock viscous fan rated for? I'm shopping around for electrics and of course want to balance airflow with current draw.

come to think of it, there's the stock electric A/C fan. Seeing as that's ancient, I wonder if a new uprated fan would both push more air and at the same time draw a bit less current.

hmm, if I'm going to go full electric, I could go whole hog, and add an additional 7" fan behind the passenger-side headlight to blow ambient air at the intakes. The engine obviously draws a lot more air than 800cfm or thereabouts that a small fan can push, but it would be cooler than straight-up engine bay heat-soaked air!

Such a fan could be connected to the throttle, turning on at WOT or 80% or something. Neat idea huh? Probably never been done because it's harebrained but that's me :chuckle:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, as far as bathing the air filters with fresh air...at 2 bars boost an RB26 could be sucking over 2000cfm, yet a 7" fan that could be shoehorned hear the intakes at best will pull in 400cfm. Right, that's why it's never been done :p

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Wouldnt a vented bonnet and vented front guards be a better idea as it would promote the air to be drawn in and then out of the engine bay?

As for the electric rad fans, Two 12 inch should do the trick. I think i made a thread about this a little while ago.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thing is though, a pair of 12" fans vary widely in CFM airflow, current draw, not to mention price. I'd just like to know the baseline CFM for the viscous fan, and knowing the A/C electric fan as well wouldn't hurt, because then I could measure the amp draw while it's running, then compare it to other fans with the same CFM and see if I can't get a different fan with the same airflow but a significantly lower current draw.

I'm all about reducing current demands on my car's electrical system because the ignition system, firing surface-gap plugs, is sensitive to available electrical power - it takes a LOT of juice to fire my spark plugs. Then there's the stereo with 80 amps of peak current draw. Stuck in traffic on a hot summer day, chilling to the A/C and some thumping tunes, I have drained the battery more than once. And I have a 160 amp Infiniti alternator...

·
Registered
411 Posts
you'd be hard pressed to find an electric fan that pushes anywhere near what the viscous one does

plus you'll need a fan controller to run it (or them if going twin) and tons of juice from the battery

mainly done to open up space if im not mistaken, not any other advantages

·
Registered
164 Posts
After a quick google, it seems the tt supra viscous fan draws 3000-3200 cfm
I would think the skyline one would be about the same, 3000 cfm is more than enough to cool a ford 4.6l v8 from what I've read.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. It would take two very large fans and up to 50 amps continuous current draw to match the viscous fan. Think I'm going to stay with mechanical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts