GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to guage interest...

Who would be interested in a titanium or aluminium Radiator shroud for their R33 ?

The pricing would be sorted out later but I'd expect the titanium one would work out to be about £60 per unit.

but this would depend on the amount of interest. the prototype will be constructed from aluminium and painted.

the price for Aluminium would be about half of the titanium one.

if there is some interest I would consider getting carbon and doing that but they would be expensive as the raw materials would cost me nearly 200 quid !!

I am not a tuner or in the trade but I like to make bits and bobs..

for information the Mines shroud is advertised to reduce the temperature of the water by about 3 degrees and I would have thought it would also divert enough air down out of the way of the front edge of the bonnet to reduce bonnet bounce at high speed.

I could make R32 or R34 ones after making a template for that specific car. (takes about 20 minutes) but requires me to get my grubby little mitts under the bonnet.

If there is sufficient interest I will make these parts from titanium but I'd need a minimum of 5 units to make it worth doing.

let me know..

Steve.

PS sorry to Cem or Joss if you feel this should be in the for sale section.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Steve...I had an ARC titanium shroud for a short time. Titanium is a cool material but from my experience its not the right one for radiator shrouds. It tends to scratch the paint away from the metal parts it rests on/touches and with a bit of weathering you will get rust patches. Plus its a nightmare to keep clean!:p

Just my opinion. If you can go for carbon:smokin:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dino,

Thanks for your input,

I agree carbon is cooler than eskimo nuts but the cost side of it is so inflated it is rediculous.

The tooling to make the shroud that you have the link to would cost a fortune (Vacuum forming and oven)and for perhaps a dozen or so in such a captive market would be an economic loser in a big way.hence the £250 + price tag from Mines who probably produce several thousand of them.

That said I'll keep looking into prices and if I can get the pieces for a reasonable rate then I'll go for it.

The ones I will make will now incoporate a small design change that eliminates movement/rubbing. this should be fairly easy to incorporate and only add a few pence to the cost of production.

With the fixing positions chosen the amount of flex will be minimal anyway but I'll test it thoroughly on my car first.

Mine will be painted aluminium to start with as it is cheap, compared to titanium and exotic composites, and I can experiment for the best design.

anyone else....?

/Steve

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Steve
Remember that there is two designs for the 33.
I know this because when myself and Henry ordered our ARC ones we had to state the year and yes they were different when they arrived.
Just thought I'd let you know :D
Best regards Alan

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Alan.

I'll bear it in mind do you know when the shape changes ?

I am making one for a 96 gtr so I'll look at Peter's 97? before committing..

/Steve

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Chaps,

As I am going to see Ged at Bedford I'll have a prototype or at least a template with me so we can see how different the 99 shape is..

Does anyone want aluminium over titanium ?

I can get going on these almost immedietly.

regards
Steve

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Steve,

Aluminium will do me please, I'm no tart. Tell you what though, could you spray it with a rising sun please! ;)

Thanks.

Peter.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Steve,

Any progress on these yet. Remember to put me down for one. Not bothered what it's made of - titanium preferred.

Ta!
John

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi John,

I may have found a scource of Carbon Fibre at a reasonable rate.

this would be ideal as it both looks cool and does the job nicely.

I will get back to this post when I have found an official price.

I have the Aluminium one on my car now and it is fine.
I have not had enough interest to warrant my purchasing a big wad of titanium. I needed 5 or 6 and got 4 interested people.
plus if I can get carbon then that is my preferred material.

I'll get back to you.

/Steve

1 - 20 of 42 Posts