GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that a lot of people here in Japan when upgrading their radiators install a surge tank between the actual rad and reservoir tank.
Can someone explain the benefits of this? ...apart from the fact that it look damn good :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Catch tank?

Dino,

Are you sure that's not an oil/fuel catch tank used to catch the blown about oil/fuel in the cylinder head when you lift of the gas before it is blown back into the intake and soil the air flow meters.

It is normally located next to the rad tank and inplace of the wind sheild washer tank.

Paul.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I'm not talking about oil cartch tanks.
Have a look below...

See the little surge tank with a rad cap??;) :p

·
Registered
395 Posts
evaporator

Dino,

Tell you what it looks like is the air lock evaporator, that some mid engine cars have fitted because the front mounted rads are often higher than the engine block and air gets into the top of the rad when the cars parked the system cools, bubbles in the water build up and make an airlock this slows the flow of water so some people fit these evaporators on the radiator next to the exit pipe.

But this is not the case with Skylines and anyway there’s a pipe that appears to go to the fuel rail or boost rail. :confused:

Paul.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul,

So basically it removes air build up right?
I also noticed its attached to the engine somewhere....:confused:

Really want to find out more about this. Loads of tuners make them, I think the one in the pcture is from ARC...and I've seen these on sooo many GTRs!

Cheers for the feedback though:)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Strut brace

I'm sure it's a Mine's.

Same as on Shin's car.

Very interesting observation DCD. I was on your site last nite looking at the engine bays and wondering myself what that woz along with a zillion other mods visible .:)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Swirl pot

It is called "Swirl pot".
The "swirl" inside of the pot removes the air from radiator coolant.
Then, it makes radiator's performance increase.

Yours,
Shin

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shin, thanks for clearing that up mate!
I think I will fit this with the Nismo/Calsonic radiator ...how come you don't use one??

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Hugh or Shin,

I presume, from looking at Dino's picture, that the radiator cap is removed and the rad top is altered to allow the free passage of water/air to the swirl pot to vent the radiator which then has the radiator cap fitted which pressurises the system? The small pipe vents the head by #2 injector and the swirl pot is then connected to the header tank in the normal way.

Peter.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Peter's right; the top of the pot itself is probably higher than the highest point in the cylinder head; the constant bleeding (from plug @ #2 injector) ensures the absence of air in the cylinder head, which should be avoided at all times..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts