GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CHARITY TRACK DAY WEEKEND

My name is Keith Watson and I am a serving RAF officer and the organiser of a Track day here at RAF Marham, Norfolk on the 2nd/3rd of September 06. With kind permision from forum adminer 'Peter' I'm extending an invitation to GTR Register members.

The funds raised from the entrance fee will go entirely to the Appeals and Charities supported by RAF Marham, which are the RAF Benevolent Fund, the Ex-Services Mental Welfare Association (combat stress) and, locally to the East Anglian Children's Hospice at Quiddenham.

The track uses a combination of the airfield's main runway and taxiways, which for the benefit of new members and those who couldn't make it before, results in a track that is around 4 miles long of wide, smooth tarmac and concrete with bags of safe run offs - there is ample scope to create everything from sweeping curves to chicanes and there are plenty of curvy bits to add to the challenge. Note that you can enter the corner onto the main runway at approx 80-90 mph so a full top speed run will be possible.

It will run from around midday to 4pm on the Saturday with four 30-minute sessions combined with seperate sessions for motorbikes, and from 9 am to 4pm on the Sunday, with six 30-minute sessions for cars only. All being well, we will probably look to combine later sessions to run longer, open pit lane sessions. As before, all the necessary facilities, such as toilets, catering, drinks, marshalling and medical cover to support the event will be on hand, and the gliding club will be operating for air experience flights.

You will need a helmet, normal seat belts as a minimum, and a fire extinguisher which will need to be secured in the car (that doesn't mean a plumbed in system). Race suits are not needed, but preferably natural fibre clothing with full sleeves and legs. Cars must be road legal with a current MOT or, if a race vehicle, licensed for a current MSA series. Sharing a car is OK (i.e. alternating drivers between sessions) and drivers are allowed to carry passengers, but they must also comply with regard to helmet, clothing etc. The entry fee is per car entered, not per driver but all drivers and passengers will need to sign a disclaimer. Spectating is not a possibility unless the individual is coming to assist someone who is driving - the reason for this is quite simple - the event insurance premiums and Health & Safety requirements go through the roof astronomically otherwise, so by restricting it to participants and assistants, it makes the event manageable, safer, more relaxed and enjoyable and importantly keeps the cost down to you.

The atmosphere and event is relaxed, enjoyable and relatively safe and is incredibly good value of £40 on the Saturday and £60 for the Sunday.

I can only offer up to 15 places on each day so it will be first come first served. To confirm your place I will need a cheque and personal details for security vetting purposes by 1st August (held in the strictest of confidence); I require: full name, address, Tel No, date of birth, place of birth, vehicle type and registration. Please note that full passenger details are required and every driver and passenger must be pre-registered through me and have a photo ID on entry (you will be refused otherwise). Initially you can pm me with your prefered day and I will add your name to a list on this post.

Details of the previous event and some pictures are here http://apps.marham.raf.r.mil.uk/internetsite/relations/charities/track-day-06.htm on RAF Marham’s website.

If you need any more details just let me know, I'm sure I have missed something out!

Many thanks

Keith

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,033 Posts
That looks busy keith. What sort of numbers are we talking? How many on track at one time? Do you have a proper driver's briefing and is strict track etiquette employed?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
moleman said:
That looks busy keith. What sort of numbers are we talking? How many on track at one time? Do you have a proper driver's briefing and is strict track etiquette employed?
The track is about 4.5 miles long with a 1 mile straight of runway (not the full length instead we have a follow-through style corner mid way down). As a result there are lots of safe places to overtake. We usually go with around 45 cars on track at once.

We have a full briefing with strict rules. Main points being no racing and overtaking on the left and on straights only. We have 3 safety cars (i'm in one of them), marshalls and full Fire and First Response medical cover.

Thanks

Keith

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
would love to but it's TRAX weekend at Silverstone and already booked. Pls let us know of any other events tho

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
YHPM ..could you chalk me down for saturday.
Cheers
Ben

1 - 20 of 29 Posts