GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I keep hearing about people using their Power FC to raise the rev limit of their car in order to allow them to get more power out of their vehicle. But my question is; Isnt anything over 8k RPM out of the effective power band for 2530s anyway? I mean why lift the rev limit and risk blowing up your engine when you wont be receiving any additional power that high anyway?

Of course if there is more power to be gotten out of 2530s at a higher RPM then it makes sense, but I always thought that over 8k was out of the effective power band.

Anyone care to shed some light?

-Sayajin

·
Banned
336 Posts
Look at the mines, they rev that to 9.5k sometimes, you also got to consider what cams you will be using as you can adjust the powerband.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What bottom end are you running? the Standard RB26 Crank was rated to a maximum of 8350 rpm! yes that is all!!

Yes a mines ecu will let you pull higher rpm as will most of the others but if you have not put the essentials in to place or the life expectancy will be very short otherwise.

Do not be fooled i know skyline owners who rev to 9000 rpm or above just because they are runing Nismo Gauges and the redline on the gauges is set higher! Then they wonder why there engines do not last. I have had 0ver 250,000 miles experience with these engines over the last 14 years with out major rebuilds, buy sticking to the simple rules of warm it up to 70 c on the oil before driving hard, not over reving beyond your engines safe limits and cool down befor shutting down. Befor you ask yes all the 3 cars had modified engines all running around 450 t0 550 hp over their lives on stock internals.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been told the real weak link is the factory oil pump.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have had engines with 86,000 miles from new with out oil pump problems, the car was used ever day over 3 years without issue running 450 plus hp from its first 1000 miles. Like all this mechanical look after then well and use them with in their limits, regulas service the best oil you can afford makes for a happy life!

·
Banned
336 Posts
I have run mine regularly to 8k rpm, since owning the car from early 2004. One thing I have done is regularly changed the oil. I have never had an issue. These engines were designed to be revved, as long as you dont go stupid and go beyond 8k you wont have a problem.

If you have steel internals, ie rods and new pistons, get you crank balanced and then you should safely be able to hit 9k. I believe the mines uses a std crank? or are they using a tomei full counter balanced one?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts