GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it's just my ears playing up ( :rolleyes: ) or whether my car's engine is becoming more "rattley" ....

The past week I've noticed (when driving or idling on roads that are quite built up - so the sound echo's off them) that the car seems to be making a more "rattley" / "tappety" sound.

I MIGHT be just imagining it ... but if i'm not, what kind of things cause an engine to get noisier like this ? Just general wear and tear (i.e. old age) ?

It's more of an inquisitive question than anything really. :D

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just SEEMS to sound a bit noisier than normal on idle. I've noticed it when I stop at traffic lights, etc.

Anywhere I can read up more on it ?

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
Mine made no more noise on idle, just light loads. Is it RPM or 1/2RPM. Eg cam/crank rotation speed? Or is it too quiet?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If in first gear and cruising in heavy traffic (i.e. start stop) I think I notice it a lot more ... then as the revs rise I don't notice it so much again. The tick appears to become more audible as the speed picks up and then goes quieter again.

Wouldn't know it it's RPM or 1/2 RPM.

It might be nothing ... but I thought I'd see what I could find out. Problem is, i'm not at all mechanically minded - so i wouldn't know if it was a noise that needs investigating or not.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
At least you've a keen ear and don't drive until(god forbid) somethings totally knackered.
I'd say keep your ear on it.
I stripped my engine straight away, but I knew what it was. Whats your mileage and do you rev her high?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will definitely be listening out for it ... see if sounds any worse.

Mileage ... off the top of my head, around 80 thousand ish (give or take). Revs wise (when driving it enthusiastically)

I don't generally go beyond 7000 / 7200. It's always warmed up properly too ... and then cooled down again. My route to work is always 30 and 40mph roads ... and this is it's general day-to-day use (so no hgh-revving at all). Sometimes I'll take a detour coming home so I can open it up a little more. :)

I may not be mechanically minded but I do look after cars as best as I can. :)

·
Banned
2,097 Posts
had a nce read of your web site daz!! i always enjoy reading someones tuning diary and pics:D helps fill my head with usefull ideas!;)

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks GTR-Zilla. A lot of the pages need a fair amount of updating - but I don't get chance to do much with it (it's just kind of thrown together quickly).

Some day I'll get round to doing it all properly ! :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
how bizarre .. I was only thinking tonight that mine seems a little bit rattlier ... However I changed my oil from Millers to Silkolene ProS .. so am hoping that is why the sound is different ... also maybe weather related as it's been cooler this week.

funny thing is when my golf was my main car I'd recognise every little change in it's sound .. now that it's my run around and the skyline my baby .. I don't seem to notice it anymore .. if the golf runs bad one day .. so what .....

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my car, it slowly started getting worse until I got it looked at.... engine came out for a full inspection turned out the big end shells on number 3 were dead.
Problem with engine noises is noone can really give you an opinion as a clicking problem could be a piston which has picked up in the bore, a shell in the big end, valve rattle/injector rattle. As i've leant RB26's are very noisey rattly engines anyway but when you start to hear a defined rattle of some kind its generally engine related :(
If possible try to record a sound clip and post it on here, maybe AbbeyM/S could shed more light on it?
I'm not saying thats what it is, but when I had the same problem a number of people suspected big ends... low and behold! thats what it was, I was lucky that the big end didn't actually fail, it was just worn to buggery... If the big end goes then its a meltdown - get it looked into ASAP.

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
As Grex said ,seems to be bug bear on RB 26 after listerning to Grex's car I would know that damn sound anywhere now :( If you ever know 100% its big ends it's not a massive job ,trouble is you never do .uprated big end shells aprox 90 quid a set

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the input guys. I'll take the old man out in it and see what he thinks ... he's got a good ear for these kinds of things (he'll probably say it's nothing ! LOL !)

·
Registered
674 Posts
You won't notice anything unusual about the guages/temperatures... its simply a sign of worn shells..
The only other symptom I had, was if I drove around for a while with it rattling it didn't *quite* make full boost because the knock sensor was retarding the timing slightly as it was detecting this rattling.
The saving grace is that the shell hasn't picked up and spun... if it does that you could end up scoring your bores/rod through block/crank wasted.. You cannot take chances with funny noises on RB26's i'd get it into a known reputable garage straight away...
Also, I hear that the RB26's like to have a rebuild approaching the 100K mark for really well maintained ones, at 80k it might be time for one tbh.
The rattling sound tends to go away because as you accelerate the crank is forced into balance, but when driving along at light loads just feathering the throttle the big end in question can move slightly hence the noise. If it wears enough it could grab and spin.
on the other hand we might all be over doing it! could be a valve timer/something different... Only thing i've learnt from owning my own GTR and reading lots of other posts, is that when you get a funny noise/problem theres never usually a quick/cheap fix, only way to tell is to get it to a RB26 expert.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that Grex. I assume the only way to determine the exact cause is to take things apart ? Or would it be fairly obvious to someone in the know what it's likely to be just off the sound alone ?

Boost wise everything is fine ... the car goes VERY well :)

I might well be booking it in to it's 2nd home for a check-up at some point then ... It'd be typical for something to need sorting now I've just spent a fortune buying a house wouldn't it ! LOL !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts