GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently noticed a rattling noise under the gear box when sitting at the lights especially on a slight incline and holding myself there with 12 to 1500 rpm (sounds like a bag of nails):p
Anyway if anyone can help diagnose this noise from 25000 miles away and give me an idea what it could be and what the potential cost could be to fix it that would be great............all in all the car runs fantastic apart from this aggravating noise.
I am at stage 4

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Assuming this isn't a wind up, they all sound like a bag of nails :)

I had my bellhousing replaced at the 9k mile service on my last one but it sounded exactly the same with the new bellhousing fitted, still like a bucket of nails. It's normal, but apparently the Litchfield replacement is quieter.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The manual does state not to hold the car on an incline using the throttle. The noise is likely to still be there anyway but try seeing if it reduces if you use the foot brake or hand brake.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
The manual does state not to hold the car on an incline using the throttle. The noise is likely to still be there anyway but try seeing if it reduces if you use the foot brake or hand brake.
That... I noticed the "dinner plate rattle" when on some terrible roads and just touching the brakes and the noise disappeared completely, relatively simple fix if its that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine isn't quite and a few others i have heard are the same.
The bell housing gets a clunk when setting off (a little play in it until replaced).

You want to hear my R34 in neutral, its MUCH louder!!
I even turn the engine off with the clutch in to save freighting the kids :p

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Mine isn't quite and a few others i have heard are the same.
The bell housing gets a clunk when setting off (a little play in it until replaced).

You want to hear my R34 in neutral, its MUCH louder!!
I even turn the engine off with the clutch in to save freighting the kids :p
Yep, my 33 is the same with the HKS dual plate clutch, used to "noisy" gearboxes, just as long as all the cogs are in the right place !!!

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I have recently noticed a rattling noise under the gear box when sitting at the lights especially on a slight incline and holding myself there with 12 to 1500 rpm (sounds like a bag of nails):p
Anyway if anyone can help diagnose this noise from 25000 miles away and give me an idea what it could be and what the potential cost could be to fix it that would be great............all in all the car runs fantastic apart from this aggravating noise.
I am at stage 4
Would you hold a manual car via the clutch on an incline???

Oh hang on just realised where you're from, too many auto's!

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
I am at stage 4
I assume you are aware the gearbox is at the back of the car not under the front seats? I'd put money on it is the bell housing rattling, not sure if you have Nissan HPCs where you live but they should be able to check the shaft play and advise, probably preferable to get an uprated one from Litchfields and have it shipped out as the Nissan ones seem to last a very short time before the replacement one starts rattling also.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume you are aware the gearbox is at the back of the car not under the front seats? I'd put money on it is the bell housing rattling, not sure if you have Nissan HPCs where you live but they should be able to check the shaft play and advise, probably preferable to get an uprated one from Litchfields and have it shipped out as the Nissan ones seem to last a very short time before the replacement one starts rattling also.
Thanks Barry,
I am taking my car in for service next week so will have the guys there take a look at it..........the noise doesnt bother me, I just dont want something to fall off or fail when I am honking it down the highway :(
Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts